Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Games with mysterious popularity

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    But I think that's mainly because I also never understood the popularity of WWF or WWE or whatever it is now. And when I've played the games, the controls always feel so clunky, and the characters seemed to take forever to respond. I could never understand the appeal.
    I played one demo once and it was ok, but arent they trying to recreate matches? I dont see the point of that, Ill just watch Puro. Even if its a fighting game, I dont even see the point of playing UFC games, just stick to NEO GEO or Capcom ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't entirely agree with that. UFC for Dreamcast is hilarious.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Yeah, but instead of choosing what to do when there's a threat of your spaceship decompressing or something, you have to choose to spend time with the double amputee girl or the deaf girl.
    I think I would rather have my ship decompress.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    I think those are definitely valid points. I loved NBA2K and 2K1 on the Dreamcast. I haven't played many sports games past then. Every year I keep saying I'm going to and then I get sidetracked by some other game.

If I had to pick one "popular" genre that boggles my mind, I guess it would be a sub-genre of sports games - Wrestling games. But I think that's mainly because I also never understood the popularity of WWF or WWE or whatever it is now. And when I've played the games, the controls always feel so clunky, and the characters seemed to take forever to respond. I could never understand the appeal.

Colorful characters beating the shit out of each other. Same reason superheros are popular.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post
    What I don't understand is why people don't understand fans of sports games.
    I don't understand why sports games consistently defy most economic standards of any other games in any genre due to their own fans.

They're the bane of collectors; it's cheaper to buy boxed sports games just to get an empty cases, and that says a whole lot. They're less valuable than every pack-in game for any system that has been produced.

Take any other big selling title with lots of sequels, for instance the Call of Duty series. Modern Warfare 1 is what, 5-6 years old? It still sells new copies at $20 each and used for not a whole lot less. You'd be hard pressed to give away sports titles from 6 years ago.

It's as if everyone that consistently buys sports titles is in agreement that their $60 purchase will be worth nothing next year, even to fellow sports fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Look on the bright side; sports games will go through the transition to digital distribution completely unscathed.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've never liked wrestling games myself, but I wouldn't pass up a chance to watch the real thing live (not on TV, in person). The only sports games I've ever played and enjoyed were baseball games. I liked the Bigs because they had that homerun derby pinball which was pretty addictive for a while. I'd say that I like at least a handful of games for every genre that out there. I'm not so keen on flight sims though.