Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games with mysterious popularity

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Games with mysterious popularity

I'm not talking about your Call of Duties or Battlefields, I'm not even talking about Maddens or Halos.

I'm talking about games like Katawa Shoujo and Recettear. Games that are rather small productions, and ones that rarely have official English releases. Is it just a tie-in to otaku culture that these games have become so popular? Especially with the former. I never thought visual novels would actually do well outside of Japan unless you added some sort of interaction ala Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit.

I've played and loved the latter, but cannot honestly "get" the former. Any other games that appear to be widespread only in certain sections?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Japanophiles.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Visual Novels are like books, but you get to interact and you can find different endings, which make them more advanced than books sort of. So if you like to read theyre a great type of game to pick up.

Otaku culture can fuel a product very well, I havent heard of those games you listed, but that would be a reason.

Sports games are the only games I dont understand people buying so much. Even FPS I understand, cause I do like DOOM, I just dont get why there have to be so MANY that look exactly the same and are bland as hell.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Visual Novels are like books, but you get to interact and you can find different endings, which make them more advanced than books sort of. So if you like to read theyre a great type of game to pick up.
    So kind of like a modern take on the Choose your own Adventure books of the old days?
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    So kind of like a modern take on the Choose your own Adventure books of the old days?
    Yeah, but instead of choosing what to do when there's a threat of your spaceship decompressing or something, you have to choose to spend time with the double amputee girl or the deaf girl.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    Yup, but with pretty girls to look at. Theres so many different types out there too. Mostly romance, but a lot of others. Ill see if I can find a article about one that caught my eye.

Nm.
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 02-15-2013 at 12:15 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The two games you gave as examples have pretty simple explanations behind them. Katawa Shoujo wasn't orignaly going to be a game, it was meant as a concept some guy came up with. The various chan boards took a liking to the idea and so it got made. It's also a visual novel, something western gamers seem to like, I assume due to the lack of them in the market.

Recettear is pretty much a simple RPG, but with the item building/selling aspects people came to enjoy in newer JRPGs, like the Atelier series. This is also the reason I was interested in Recettear.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

There's plenty of Visual Novels that aren't dating sims, stuff like Snatcher, Policenauts, Phoenix Wright, Hotel Dusk, etc. They've been around in the west for a long time but they've never been overly popular, not until Phoenix Wright got released and that kind of died down in recent years. I like the style of games though, they're adventure games like graphic adventures which I usually enjoy unless they're really poorly made or badly written.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yeah. DATING SIMS! I guess though theyre popular in Japan because guys want to practice before they try dating the real things.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Katawa Shoujo is popular because it's basically 4chan: The Game. It's also supposedly pretty well-made, and it has an interesting gimmick. And it's free.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Katawa Shoujo is popular because it's basically 4chan: The Game. It's also supposedly pretty well-made, and it has an interesting gimmick. And it's free.
    I've never liked dating sims or visual novels, but I sat down with Katawa Shoujo and....found it rather charming.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I found the idea of playing as an RPG item shop both pretty funny and unique so that combined with positive reviews convinced me to pick it up in some steam sale quite a while ago. I don't regret it either as the game's mechanics are fun and can easily suck you into a "one more turn" cycle. I'm not sure if its intentional but the character interactions and the universe presented strike me as a big satire of the whole JRPG genera as everything is just so stereotypical that I find it hard to believe it wasn't intentional. Don't know what to tell you about the Dating Sim other then what other people have mentioned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sports games are the only games I dont understand people buying so much.

What I don't understand is why people don't understand fans of sports games.

For example every year I get the new version of the NBA2K series. Been doing that since Jordan vs. Bird on the PC XT and the Lakers vs. Celtics series on the Genesis.

I've always liked playing basketball and watching basketball. I think it's a fun escape to also be able to play a game as your favorite player/team.

Trades happen in the off season, blah blah blah and it's nice to be able to have rosters in line with the actual league. 60 bucks for a year's worth of entertainment isn't so bad.

Despite all that stuff, I also like the lesser known hardcore/retro stuff. Gunhound EX, Shmups, the Ni No Kunis of the world, etc etc.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 02-16-2013 at 04:37 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post
    What I don't understand is why people don't understand fans of sports games.

For example every year I get the new version of the NBA2K series. Been doing that since Jordan vs. Bird on the PC XT and the Lakers vs. Celtics series on the Genesis.

I've always liked playing basketball and watching basketball. I think it's a fun escape to also be able to play a game as your favorite player/team.

Trades happen in the off season, blah blah blah and it's nice to be able to have rosters in line with the actual league. 60 bucks for a year's worth of entertainment isn't so bad.

Despite all that stuff, I also like the lesser known hardcore/retro stuff. Gunhound EX, Shmups, the Ni No Kunis of the world, etc etc.

Yeah, you can either watch the actual games for free and have an exciting time watching a real game with real results and consequences, or you could go out side and play it yourself with friends and get a work out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah, you can either watch the actual games for free and have an exciting time watching a real game with real results and consequences, or you could go out side and play it yourself with friends and get a work out.
    But what if I actually like doing all three because I like the sport (which I do)?

1) actually playing basketball
    2) watching real games (live and on tv)
    3) playing a basketball videogame, with the added bonus of playing as my favorite players/teams

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But what if I actually like doing all three because I like the sport (which I do)?

1) actually playing basketball
    2) watching real games (live and on tv)
    3) playing a basketball videogame, with the added bonus of playing as my favorite players/teams

Theyre just boring video games to me, theyre basically the same every year, and roster changes could be DLC. It just pushes the "we gotta have life like realistic graphics" crowd. When I play a video game its to do stuff I really cant do in real life. Theyre boring video games to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Virtua Tennis and Mario Golf are masterpieces.

The only thing I can't stand about sports games is that it seems like every developer is only interested in recreating the experience of watching sports on tv rather than playing the sport.
    I always turn all the extraneous shit like replays and commentary off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well, I'm not trying to persuade you guys into rethinking sports games and finding a way to enjoy them for yourselves.... I'm just trying to show that it's not so strange for other people to like them. Sorry if I came off that way. I believe it's a perfectly valid genre in its own right.

In terms of being able to do things you can't do in real life, I'll be honest ... I can't do a tomahawk dunk on 2 guys in real life. So it's pretty satisfying in the videogame world haha.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I'm not trying to persuade you guys into rethinking sports games and finding a way to enjoy them for yourselves.... I'm just trying to show that it's not so strange for other people to like them. Sorry if I came off that way. I believe it's a perfectly valid genre in its own right.

In terms of being able to do things you can't do in real life, I'll be honest ... I can't do a tomahawk dunk on 2 guys in real life. So it's pretty satisfying in the videogame world haha.

I think those are definitely valid points. I loved NBA2K and 2K1 on the Dreamcast. I haven't played many sports games past then. Every year I keep saying I'm going to and then I get sidetracked by some other game.

If I had to pick one "popular" genre that boggles my mind, I guess it would be a sub-genre of sports games - Wrestling games. But I think that's mainly because I also never understood the popularity of WWF or WWE or whatever it is now. And when I've played the games, the controls always feel so clunky, and the characters seemed to take forever to respond. I could never understand the appeal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only wrestling game I ever really enjoyed is Midway's crazy Wrestlemania Arcade, which all the rasslin' fans hate.