Thread: Sony streaming PS4 = Current Game collections/hoards worth more, or less?

Insert Coin (Level 0) scaleworm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sony streaming PS4 = Current Game collections/hoards worth more, or less?

Query:

Based on this, and previous on-here posts regarding Durango:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...577439962.html

If the new trio of consoles is streaming only, and one cannot have content physical (discs, maps, cases, art work)
    Will gaming collections/hoards be worth more or less in the future.

1. Yes, hey will as with the millions of consoles out there, the games can be played ad-infinitum.

or

2. No, They will not as when generations age and get more and more used to the "new and instant and now on my phone" consumer products, no one (or few) will want all of that old clutter and junk.

Hmmmm.
    Last edited by scaleworm; 02-16-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    Game on!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Itll depend on who you talk to about how much your collection is worth.

This reminds me of the streamed SNES games that people could save, now Radical Dreamers is one of the most expensive games in Akihabara. I wonder if used stores will still be able to sell the actual consoles? That would make the Wii U even more liked by collectors.

I fear about this coming generation and preservation, if a server goes down due to people not buying particular games on it, will they be released for free somewhere else in the future?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Itll depend on who you talk to about how much your collection is worth.

This reminds me of the streamed SNES games that people could save, now Radical Dreamers is one of the most expensive games in Akihabara. I wonder if used stores will still be able to sell the actual consoles? That would make the Wii U even more liked by collectors.

I fear about this coming generation and preservation, if a server goes down due to people not buying particular games on it, will they be released for free somewhere else in the future?
    I really like the game Steel Battalion, Line of contact for the original xbox.
    It was great in an online multi-player format.

and then it went away....

Could you imagine if via time travel in an alternate universe that all of the past generations of games, SMB, Castlevania, Final Fantasy(ies), etc... originally only available via SNES/Genny/NES/PS1 streams had the stream servers removed due to a new game coming out, or a system, if the big three made them all go away, or unplayable (like many original xbox games on the original 360)... Where would we all be now?

As to collections and worth, "collections" are only worth owning if you want to collect what the collection is about.
    Don't collect something in any form other than education/gold/precious metals/money, real estate, or stocks, expecting to make money from it.
    Game on!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Again I ask the question, is PS4 ONLY Streaming or is it both? Considering that manufacturing a physical disc/art/case costs them next to nothing, I see NO reason they couldn't continue to do that for collectors.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Again I ask the question, is PS4 ONLY Streaming or is it both? Considering that manufacturing a physical disc/art/case costs them next to nothing, I see NO reason they couldn't continue to do that for collectors.
    one word: PROFIT.
    Less to make, total control of where it goes, total control of updates/add ons, initial worth.
    Total profit for the company and shareholders.
    collectors? ha. DO you think any of these companies cares about a bunch of fan boys/girls and collecting?

Every copy of complete re-saled Earthbound makes Nintendo not one cent. streams = all profit.
    Game on!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that if the new generation of consoles is all streamable, they are going to need to overcome a lot of stuff to make it work.

Unlike a format like MP3, Sony / Microsoft / Nintendo / whatever are selling you a product which can only work on their hardware. There is no guarantee that these companies are going to have a future where they support that content, and if they don't what does that mean? If I bought Geometry Wars for my 360 right when it came out, in 50 years when I'm an old man, does my purchase of it mean that Microsoft needs to still find a way to support my being able to play it?

If I lose the disc or crack it, the reason that I cannot play it has nothing to do with me. If the console breaks, I can purchase a different console to play it on. If the hardware breaks and I need Microsoft to help me get back on it to play it again, how is Microsoft liable to make that happen, or are they not? And if not, what does that mean for sales?

On the flip side, I really believe that a big issue that the Vita has right now is that there is almost no physical media for it - Stores don't have big displays for it, because there is almost nothing for it. Add to it that the games that are released aren't selling because Sony keeps giving them away on PS+, and stores have no reason to push the console. Without that, you change basically 100% of the promotion of the consoles and games fall to the manufacturer, and I think that would really cut into them. GameStop would die. Consumers would have to be really careful about what they get because they couldn't re-sell games they didn't like.

It's a fascinating situation to be in. It makes a little more sense to me, as the whole PS+ model where you essentially "rent" everything seems like the closet thing to the real world right now, but if it is done I do think that there is going to be a considerable drop off of sales for a while on these consoles. I would have no interest in one until I KNOW that I will have the ability to play these games basically forever, like I have with my cartridges and disc-based games already.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've heard that the Internet infrastructure of the USA doesn't have the capacity to have large numbers of people streaming better-than-PS3 graphics. For that reason, I believe PS4 will be stream optional.

As for the value of games that are currently being made on disc, those will probably be worth next to nothing since they were mass produced.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scaleworm View Post
    If the new trio of consoles is streaming only, and one cannot have content physical (discs, maps, cases, art work)
    Will gaming collections/hoards be worth more or less in the future.
    Are collections worth more or less now that every game can be downloaded and played for free on an emulator or flash cart? There will always be people collecting this stuff.

Insert Coin (Level 0) LordsOfSkulls's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LordsOfSkulls
    PSN
    LordsOfSkulls

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Are collections worth more or less now that every game can be downloaded and played for free on an emulator or flash cart? There will always be people collecting this stuff.
    Yap. Plus you cant beat the original. I enjoy playing SNES/PSone Games more on console than Emulator.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I'm not really much for speculating, but I did feel the need to chime in here to say that Streaming =/ Downloading. The two seem to be used interchangeably in this thread and it makes it really confusing to decipher what a poster is trying to say. Or maybe I'm wrong and just really confused?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    I'm not really much for speculating, but I did feel the need to chime in here to say that Streaming =/ Downloading. The two seem to be used interchangeably in this thread and it makes it really confusing to decipher what a poster is trying to say. Or maybe I'm wrong and just really confused?
    Well, I just meant this reminds me of when Nintendo had a similar service in Japan, but those games could be saved, and the ones that were saved have been preserved through emulation or costs a ton to buy the save unit with them in. This however will just be streaming, so then if those servers with particular games you love go down, who knows if theyll be released again or ever. Its a horrible thought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dislike emulators, have a thing about (against) piracy, and like holding the games/art/what-evers, in my hand.
    I think if streaming is the next gen's approach, then y'all can just count me out...
    btw, theft is theft. whether digital, cars, bread, booze, or someone else's significant other, theft is theft and dudes, is ain't right.
    Game on!