Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kool-Aid Sweepstakes Exclusive Super NES Game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Kool-Aid Sweepstakes Exclusive Super NES Game?

I came across this commercial for a contest from Kool-Aid Bursts and Kay-Bee Toys, which says the grand prize winner would've won a Super NES game "starring you". I've never heard of this before. And a Google search turned up nothing.

Is it something that is known to actually exist? If so, it seems like it would be very rare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEl9PiwVRx0

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The concept reminds me of that atari 2600 birthday game that puts your name in it; I'd imagine it's one-of-a-kind if it does exist, and I can't see the winner, whoever he is, selling it anytime soon since it's probably a big part of his childhood.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I imagine that if one was out there and someone did find it in a goodwill, it would be a weird feeling to play a game with some random strangers face in it. Like the atari birthday game or even NWC carts, its weird to own something that was so personal to someone else.

Kinda like owning and displaying somebody elses bowling trophy.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow, that would be quite a find if it exists. Looks like it was a NY area contest. It's probably sitting in someone's attic somewhere.

It's funny how the only information that comes up about it in an Internet search is this thread.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a good chance this may not even exist. What happens a lot of time with these contests is that they offer the winner a cash equivalent, and most take that instead of the prize itself. Remember the Nintendo Power contest where the winner got to appear in The Mask 2? These companies always give themselves an out in case the prize never materializes.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is true. I remember back in 2004 Kids WB held a sweepstakes where Static Shock for the GBA was one of the prizes. That game ended up never coming out.

Cool commercial though. I had fun looking at all the games in the display case in the background.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

I kinda remembered this commercial too... I remember this was when the whole kool aid points was a big thing. (i grew up in a kinda poor family so promotions like that always perked my interest in getting some "Kool" items. Like back of cereal box things. or when pepsi did its pepsi points promotion and such)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Maybe John Madden won

I don't remember the contest, but I do remember mini-Gak giveaways. Pretty sure my mom never let me get Kool Aid Bursts, although I'm sure I wanted some so I could get free Gak. I did eventually get a free container in a Chuck E. Cheese giveaway.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    I imagine that if one was out there and someone did find it in a goodwill, it would be a weird feeling to play a game with some random strangers face in it.
    It's like finding a used Gameboy Camera then, you could use your face for some of the built in games.

The worst part about that contest is that you'd have to drink Kool-Aid, I remember trying some as a kid after begging for it and hating it. Those guys are marketing geniuses.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

I love kool aid... I'm probably the only person stupid enough to try and chug a gallon of grape down in one swig

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I loved Kool-Aid as a kid, but the flavors were a real crapshoot. Some I hated, but Orange, Grape, and Lemonade were great. And the best by far was Purplesaurus Rex, a combination of Grape and Lemonade.

Oh, and I almost never had Kool-Aid with as much sugar as the directions stated. My mom just wanted to cut down on how much sugar I was drinking, but it was better that way anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I stopped drinking it when I was old enough to make it myself. Even as a child I knew that was an unhealthy amount of sugar.
    I still have my kool-aid man pitcher and matching cup, though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Fun fact: If you mix grape Kool-Aid with dry gin it tastes like grass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another fun fact, Kool-Aid has a lot less sugar than per fluid ounce than soda pop, which I'm willing to bet almost everyone here still consumes as an adult.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Another fun fact, Kool-Aid has a lot less sugar than per fluid ounce than soda pop, which I'm willing to bet almost everyone here still consumes as an adult.
    Nope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still drink cola when I have pizza, but I really don't like sugary drinks, and that includes fruit juices.
    Less sugary soda like bitter lemon or san pellegrino are great, though.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There can only be 3 scenarios here:

Its in an attic or collection, but youd think someone would go online and brag about it by now.....

Its at the bottom of the dump.

It never happened. <------Most likely scenario. Im sure they handed the winner $100 or something instead of spending hundreds or thousands to make a new game just for ONE kid.

Its like that He Man create your own figure contest back in the 80s....Whomever won got a figure made of their creation, well that never happened, all the kid got was a scholarship fund... its an interesting read: http://www.he-man.org/resources/archive.php?id=942
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 02-19-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    There can only be 3 scenarios here:

Its in an attic or collection, but youd think someone would go online and brag about it by now.....

Its at the bottom of the dump.

It never happened. <------Most likely scenario. Im sure they handed the winner $100 or something instead of spending hundreds or thousands to make a new game just for ONE kid.

Its like that He Man create your own figure contest back in the 80s....Whomever won got a figure made of their creation, well that never happened, all the kid got was a scholarship fund... its an interesting read: http://www.he-man.org/resources/archive.php?id=942
    Another possible scenario that goes with the first one you listed is that the winner perhaps could have passed away between then and now and maybe their parents held on to it but aren't tech savvy enough to publish it on the net?

But one thing that I am surprised if it actually happened is why theres no records coming forth exclaiming this. I mean we have records of who won the gold NWC carts and who got the grey ones... We got records on who won just about every other video game give away. But for some reason this one seems lost in time and only remembered by a very badly uploaded video of the Ad that told kids about it.

You'd think even if the game never happened someone would have had something up stating that this guy or gal won this (money or a bunch of kool aid swag or whatever)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It probably never got made, but who knows. There are ghetto ways of delivering on the prize without making a game.
    I've made custom ROM hacks for people in a matter of hours. If they had the means to make a prototype, they could have just taken some shit game and changed the player sprite and title screen.
    It's also possible that they just took a copy of Mario Paint and drew a picture of the winner, or saved the winners name as the name of a character in an RPG.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that it was probably never made, but not because they gave the winner an alternate prize (I think this is the second most likely scenario). I doubt there was even a winner to begin with. No one is guaranteed to win a contest like this. Whoever had the winning number would have had to actually care enough to check if they had the winning number. I think there's a good chance that the majority of the Kool Aid Bursts' packaging was just thrown out, including the one with the winning number. It's not like they were choosing a random entry from a pool of participants.