Thread: Replacing the buttons in an NES controller with Gameboy buttons!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Default Replacing the buttons in an NES controller with Gameboy buttons!

I love the standard NES controller, probably my favorite "feel" to a classic controller but lately I've been finding the buttons "feel" too spongey. Not enough feedback and they don't protrude high enough. I've found the perfect remedy: the classic brick Gameboy buttons!

I find this solves my problem, and I think it compliments the Nintendo Power stickers perfectly.

This works with no modification to any part of the controller or the button itself, and I think gives the standard NES controller a better "feel" and improved feedback when pressing the buttons. This feels more like the Dogbone buttons, but I personally really dislike how the Dogbone feels in my hands and the button layout feels off. It does not fix the spongey "feel" anyways (unless both of my Dogbones are just really "worn").

I think the buttons from the colored Gameboys would look fantastic in the standard NES controller without the NP stickers, but I don't want to harvest my original red one for its buttons. :P

This is probably not an original idea but I've personally never read about it until I tried it for myself, so I thought I'd share. If you love the NES controller try it out and see what you think!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's pretty nifty. I wonder if SFC B and A buttons would work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

I've tried the A and B buttons from the SNES pad and they're slightly different and don't work at all, I imagine SFC is the same way. Different design.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

The dpad of the GameBoy is better than the dpad of the NES controller, but the B and A buttons aren't.

They're all the same part through, just different colors. The GB buttons are also convex.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    The dpad of the GameBoy is better than the dpad of the NES controller, but the B and A buttons aren't.

They're all the same part through, just different colors. The GB buttons are also convex.
    Yeah, I've done my share of SNES gaming lately as well so it could be a bias toward convex vs concave making the difference. I grabbed one of my standard NES controllers with less play time and it's not nearly as spongey. After making the change and using the convex GB buttons running through several games on the Powerpak I prefer it and I'm not going back to concave.

I disagree on the dpad in the GB being better, as (all 4 of my original GBs feel the same) I find it too spongey. Maybe it's just the actual state of my hardware and the amount of use the contact pads have seen. ;/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome stuff, man! Looks like it's time to buy a broken Gameboy!!

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmaster View Post
    I love the standard NES controller, probably my favorite "feel" to a classic controller but lately I've been finding the buttons "feel" too spongey. Not enough feedback and they don't protrude high enough. I've found the perfect remedy: the classic brick Gameboy buttons!

I find this solves my problem, and I think it compliments the Nintendo Power stickers perfectly.

This works with no modification to any part of the controller or the button itself, and I think gives the standard NES controller a better "feel" and improved feedback when pressing the buttons. This feels more like the Dogbone buttons, but I personally really dislike how the Dogbone feels in my hands and the button layout feels off. It does not fix the spongey "feel" anyways (unless both of my Dogbones are just really "worn").

I think the buttons from the colored Gameboys would look fantastic in the standard NES controller without the NP stickers, but I don't want to harvest my original red one for its buttons. :P

This is probably not an original idea but I've personally never read about it until I tried it for myself, so I thought I'd share. If you love the NES controller try it out and see what you think!
    Wow, I have those same stickers on my NES pads AND for the better part of the 90's I had one of the pads button (and d-pad) swapped with my Gameboy.

Some point after I got a GBColor I swapped them back, though, as I mainly did it because I wanted the NES buttons on the Gameboy.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    That's pretty nifty. I wonder if SFC B and A buttons would work.
    Yup. I swapped them myself a few years ago. The buttons have to be from a later SFC or SNES controller. The early ones have tabs that won't let you place them in the NES controller.

The feel is kinda weird. They don't go down very far before engaging, so it kinda feels you're just pushing -on- the buttons of instead of pushing them -in-.

The NES buttons will also fit in a SFC controller, where they feel much nicer. I made my own "prototype" SFC controller by doing this a while back.

The original buttons still feel better though :/.

Another mod you can try is to swap the B and A buttons out of one SNES controller into the place of the X and Y buttons of another one. By doing this you get four convex buttons.

It's a ghetto SFC controller!
    Last edited by Jack_Burton_BYOAC; 02-25-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its all about replacing the NES MAX controller pad with a 360 thumb pad, it becomes the best controller for NES after this!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Get-...AX-Controller/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's almost as nice as a GC controller with two grey sticks.
    I just feel sorry for the donor that now has all the reject parts.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting.
    I've always done vice versa to get concave buttons on the gameboy.