Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone got Rare or Hidden Gems of PS2?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Did you just happen to remember this 2 and a half year old thread to post that?

If so, good memory

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've only been made to feel that way a handful of times here in the thousands of posts that I've made over the many years that I've been a member, so they stand out.

Once was a nut that went ballistic on me when he questioned if the DS Lite included a charger and I said that I'm sure that it did, since Nintendo handhelds with rechargeable batteries always have had it previously (A tradition that Nintendo now doesn't follow it seems with the New 3DS lineup).

Another time was a guy that went loony when he said that Outrun for the Genesis was arcade perfect and I replied that it actually was far from 100% accurate, with one easy comparison demonstrating the sacrifices that were made being the lack of any engine noise from your apparently now electrically powered Ferrari in the Genesis version. I think if he had had a gun pointed at me at the time he read my post, he would've pulled the trigger. He sure must've loved that Genesis game...

And another was a longtime member that is now MIA, that went crazy on me when I made a post in the Retron 5 thread about preferring original hardware since it offers the best compatibility, it's actually repairable, it tends to be extremely well built, and likely will outlive any clone system despite the age difference (An opinion that Hyperkin sure hasn't changed any since the Retron 5 finally hit the marketplace, I must add).

And of course the extremely peculiar reaction that I received in this thread, although it wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered it as I reread a few posts before writing this one. It sure rubbed me the wrong way a few years ago though, as evidenced by that bump.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-30-2015 at 04:17 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Ha! Good stuff, mate.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Disaster Report 4 was the game canceled because of the real-life tsunami?
    I thought it was reported already finished when it was canceled. Either I'm remembering wrong or they covered it up (either one is possible).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Some reports said it was nearing completion while others said that it wasn't. Regardless, the creator of the franchise has confirmed that development difficulties, not the tsunami that the fans decided was the reason for Irem pulling the plug, was the primary reason for its cancellation. It definitely wasn't finished.

Irem never blamed the tsunami.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-27-2015 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

The fans didnt say it cancelled as a result of the tsunami, the press did.

http://gematsu.com/2015/11/disaster-...-announced-ps4 (plus every other google hit about the release cancellation)

Do you have a translation from the interview you cite mentioning development difficulties?
    "Development difficulties" is a vague and nebulous phrase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You sure like being needlessly annoying. You must be a joy at parties.

The point was that the storm was never once singled out as the reason for cancellation by Irem. It was all outsiders that claimed that and took it as if it were fact. In other words, people like you.

As for a translation, they're out there and shouldn't be difficult for you to locate, so please go look for yourself. Disaster Report 4 being revived by Granzella Inc has been well covered in the gaming press. In Kazuma Kujo's interview (The creator of the Disaster Report franchise and the founder of Granzella), he essentially states that development hadn't proceeded smoothly and that the game had slipped significantly as the reason for why Irem pulled the plug and wouldn't continue the project. He doesn't elaborate further, although this presumably happened due to the financial issues that they must've endured that seemed to force their exit from videogaming over the following months.

Incidentally, they've also rereleased the first three games to PSN in Japan since they bought the IP (Including the first two classics on the Playstation 2, something I hope happens over here for those that originally missed out). And here's a new trailer that you should enjoy, since you're clearly a fan of this series.

I wonder where R-Type will end up? He almost makes it sound as if Irem is selling off their videogaming IP, with this not just an isolated example.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-03-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Yeah I've followed Granzella and known about the pending PS4 release for quite some time.

Looking back at this thread, the point that rubbed you wrong seemed to be that you were making obtuse correlations to the US release of Raw Danger by Agetec two years after Katrina.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    Looking back at this thread, the point that rubbed you wrong seemed to be that you were making obtuse correlations to the US release of Raw Danger by Agetec two years after Katrina.
    And that's just rubbish. It's the exact same scenario. Yet Irem willingly allowed one to be released in the very region where an eerily similar major disaster had happening just a few months earlier, while the other if we believe people like yourself that attach yourself to every rumor you want to believe in, was cancelled worldwide because they were such a sensitive and caring company and couldn't bear to release an allegedly finished game in any region out of respect for those affected in real life by a particular regional disaster.

There are definite parallels there that should've made people like yourself less hesitant to just leap into vehement support of a theory that Irem never once claimed was the case (Not to mention events like Irem's exit from the industry a short time later that should've clued you in that something major was going on with the company).

That all said, the enjoyable part of all this is that this unique and fine franchise from the PS2 days looks set to live on and a game that we all had given up as dead is back in development.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-03-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me there is only one true hidden gem left for the PS2: that is Everblue 2. Someone mentioned it already, but it fulfills the criteria of a hidden gem. It is a very good game, and still overlooked, that means not very often mentioned and acknowledged. (from the same developers of Endless Ocean) Maybe it isn't a hidden gem, maybe I'm just nuts loving this game and making mouth-propaganda for it for years now.

All the others mentioned in this thread are either not overlooked anymore or just well, solid and good games. I second Sky Odyssey, Bombastic, Mercury Meltdown Remix, Flipnic and many others, but hidden gems? They are surprisingly good games, but they don't have first-rate gameplay.

There is also "Disney's Kim Possible," whcih I played a couple of months ago for the first time. It is a surprsingly good 2D platformer, worthwhile playing and on par with a lot on this list. But a hidden gem? I think not.

The term is overused. I think when it comes to the older systems there are hardly any hidden gems left. Even for the PS2 with its huge library. Hybrid Heaven for the N64? Laughable. It is a mediocre game at best.

No, a decade after the death of a system the truly good games are hardly overlooked anymore. We know about the Star Soldiers, Mischief Makers, Gunstar Heroes, Alisias, Blaster Masters, Sigmar Star Sagas and many many others.

The true hidden gems might be still found for the Wii, 360 and PS3. Huge libraries, and I'm pretty sure I overlooked some great games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Good post and some good games.

I've never heard of Bombastic or Flipnic, time to head off to YouTube and get an idea of what they're like.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post

I've never heard of Bombastic or Flipnic, time to head off to YouTube and get an idea of what they're like.
    Both are good games and worthwhile playing.

Yep, Youtube is a big help nowadays. 15 years ago it was impossible to have so easily and fast evaluations and impressions of gameplay. If I wanna know what's exactly in a special edition, I look on YouTube. Yeah, even the terrible unboxing videos make some sense. I know, it' s a sad state of affairs.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'll throw in some opinions of my own.

MS Saga. I'm sure this game isn't unheard of, but it's probably ignored because of the source material, the design of the games graphics which stupid looking character designs and super deformed chibi mobile suits, and the extremely cliche storyline, but if you're a JRPG fan, then I'd highly recommend picking this one up. The storyline is cliche but it's good enjoyable enough. It's the games gameplay that makes this one of the best JRPGs on the system.

So on MS Saga you have your characters and your mobile suits. The mobile suit Gouf is a mobile suit with a melee design, while the Guncannon has a ranged design and that makes its way into the game for both characters and mobile suits. Some characters in the game have poor melee with excellent ranged, other characters have poor ranged with excellent melee, and then there are characters that have good in both stats, but don't excel as well as the others. So you'll want to pair a character that's melee focused with a suit like the Gouf, while you'd want to pair a ranged character with a suit like the Guncannon.

The customization goes deeper than just tossing a character in a mobile suit though. Each mobile suit has a Diablo or Resident Evil style back pack system depending on how powerful it is and whether it's more ranged or melee. The earlier you are the smaller the backpacks are and space that weapons will take, but the more powerful suits and weapons with have more and take more space. At the end of the game, some of the most powerful weapons also have odd proportions, so some of the enjoyment does come from when you're able to get all the equipment you want on the same suit.

Every character has techs, which is basically magic. Certain characters have healing and status effect recovery, others have buffs and debuffs, others have a attack spells. All of this takes EP. Characters also have boost attacks which is used with AP. Every character starts with a set amount of AP and gains a set amount per turn to a max of 10, front row characters gaining two AP each turn defending or attacking(charge gives extra AP without being able to defend or attack.) Boost attacks are mostly special attacks that increase the damage of your weapons or allow you to use all weapons in a single turn for a high amount of damage, but there are support boost attacks that make the character take all damage from melee attacks in a defensive position, deflect damage from solid rounds, or deflect damage from beam weapons.

Just like Final Fantasy 10, you have front and back row characters. On this game it costs one AP of a front row character to switch to a back row character and you don't switch rows because the enemy is weak against attacks. Every turn it shows what kinds of attacks the enemy is going to use, allowing the player to plan accordingly. If an a boss is going to use a boost attack, you'll want to defend, but if you know if the attack is going to be a beam cannon that hits the entire party, you could pull someone from the back row to use the skill that deflects all beam damage if you have enough AP. So the way the battle system is designed it's got a lot of strategy to it. Although with the way damage is dealt and how powerful the enemies get in terms of HP, late game turns to never using weapons regularly and using only boost attacks, but all the way up to late game there's a lot more depth to the combat.

Urban Reign. When it comes to great beat em ups, everyone knows about God Hand by now, and there really is nothing better in the genre, but Urban Reign was another great PS2 beat em up. The game is mission based with 100 missions that take place in a single area map. This game is closer to your traditional beat em up like Final Fight, but has a little bit more depth to it. As you progress through the game you unlock characters that you've seen in missions and can play them in a versus mode with any variation of versus between two to four characters. You can also use any of these characters to play through any story mission. There are a lot of characters with many different fighting styles, including Law and Paul from Tekken.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

A lot of the Jak/Ratchet/Sly clones from that time are actually pretty good if you can find them. The general idea was all of them would become full series, but most never got past iteration one. Kya: Dark Lineage, Ruff Trigger: The Vanocore Conspiracy, Legend of Kay (which recently got a complete remake) are all really good, if not hampered down by a few bad spots.

And another was a longtime member that is now MIA, that went crazy on me when I made a post in the Retron 5 thread about preferring original hardware since it's actually repairable, tends to be extremely well built, and likely will outlive any clone system despite the age difference (An opinion that Hyperkin sure hasn't changed any since the Retron 5 finally hit the marketplace, I must add).
    I know precisely the user and posts you're talking about. That topic was one long train wreck from start to finish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I picked up both titles (@ $1 each) from Gamestop, when they were dumping the PS2 games about a year ago. Bombastic is a follow-up to Devil Dice on the original Playstation.