Thread: Apple II King's Herald??

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Apple II King's Herald??

Hi all, I'm trying to remember a few games from my childhood and the Wikipedia and other sources don't seem to help. So I turn to the think tank and hope for the best. These are almost all educational titles, too.

The first one was a game where you were a medieval trumpeteer on top of a castle. You were trying to reveal words by guessing letters, and when you got them right he would move to the letter's location and drop a banner over the parapets. It was more like a glorified version of Hangman, since I think each word had a predetermined number of times that you could pick the wrong letter before you lost; the longer the word, the more chances you had kind of thing.

Second, it's a math game. You're a guy on a pogo stick. You solve equations by hitting the right answer when your pogo stick is above the solution. Get it right you are elevated to the next level up, get it wrong you punch a hole in the floor. Hit the basement to lose, problems get increasingly difficult mathematically the higher up you go. You can increase or decrease the speed your guy goes to the point where he can jump over holes he has previously created.

Third, it's a math game. This one was available in COLOR. You build robots and monsters out of pieces. You have to solve math problems to get the "cooler" looking pieces. If you get answers right, I think it awarded you points that you used like currency to buy the body parts in the "store" and then you did a mix-and-match with head, torso, and legs.

Last, a dumb puzzle game. You have a field of carrots, and a rabbit is eating them. You pull the carrots up one at a time, trying to get the rabbit up out of the ground like a fish on a hook. Teaches pattern recognition and thinking ahead, because if you don't make an educated guess you'll always be one step behind and the rabbit will eat all of your carrots.

That's about all I can remember, but these can't have been that obscure, can they? Thanks in advance for the help.
    Last edited by Crystalian; 02-25-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's been about six months and no one has any idea on any of them? I did some research a while ago and found some people referring to collections of educational games when looking for a specific one, like a tank game. I suppose it's possible that the floppy's came bundled together, but I'm also pretty positive that they only had one game per floppy. Does anybody remember the software I'm talking about? I would love to be able to introduce my son to some classic educational stuff like this. He's having a blast with Edubuntu, and he's still a little young for The Oregon Trail, but he should be able to handle Stickybear Typing and Lights Out-type stuff just fine. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

These were all Apple II games, right?

Someone ought to make an extensive catalog of educational software for the Apple II; it seems there are lots of people who remember particular educational games that they have no hope of identifying.

I might have suggested Math Rabbit for the last one, but it seems no component of the game matched that description.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalian View Post
    Second, it's a math game. You're a guy on a pogo stick. You solve equations by hitting the right answer when your pogo stick is above the solution. Get it right you are elevated to the next level up, get it wrong you punch a hole in the floor. Hit the basement to lose, problems get increasingly difficult mathematically the higher up you go. You can increase or decrease the speed your guy goes to the point where he can jump over holes he has previously created.
    While the others sound familiar, this one I remember very clearly. My initial guess was "Math Blaster," but I checked and that couldn't be it. I think it had one of those words in the title.

Funny thing was: many many years ago (pre 1990) I remember seeing a catalog of educational Apple II games, and this one was on it, and it was cheap at the time (less than $10). Amazing I can remember all this and not the name.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

The first one was a game where you were a medieval trumpeteer on top of a castle. You were trying to reveal words by guessing letters, and when you got them right he would move to the letter's location and drop a banner over the parapets. It was more like a glorified version of Hangman, since I think each word had a predetermined number of times that you could pick the wrong letter before you lost; the longer the word, the more chances you had kind of thing.
    No clue what the name was but my elementary school had this game in the computer lab. Thing was we were using IBMs not Apples.

Also I vaguely recall an anagram mode with a dragon maybe? or prehaps that was a separate game altogether.
    Last edited by Daria; 08-08-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

New year, new members. I hope someone with a fresh set of eyes can toss a bone in...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

New year, new members. I hope someone with a fresh set of eyes can toss a bone in...
    I remembered the exact same game because I figured it was on the same disc as the game I was looking for (lights out). The carrot game is called carrot patch and it's on MECC Multiplication Puzzles. Disk image here (near the top). Robot building one is Space Creatures off of MECC Space Subtraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    These were all Apple II games, right?

Someone ought to make an extensive catalog of educational software for the Apple II; it seems there are lots of people who remember particular educational games that they have no hope of identifying.
    There is... well, as good of one as there ever will be anyway here.
    Last edited by midori; 04-26-2014 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You seem knowledgeable! May I ask you to take a look at this thread?
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...Apple-II-Games
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)