Thread: Kenji Eno (creator of D, Enemy Zero) passes away at 42 years old.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Default Kenji Eno (creator of D, Enemy Zero) passes away at 42 years old.

http://www.asahi.com/obituaries/upda...302210302.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenji_Eno#Games

The guy created the D series and worked on a ton of other games. He died due to hypertension. The dude was taken too young. Rest in peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So sad to hear...he made some amazing games. RIP Kenji.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Oh my, what a shock! That's terribly sad news. He had such a unique voice in video games. I'd been hoping for a warp comeback for years.

I'm actually quite saddened by this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a terrible shame. A warp comeback would have been great, I guess it is not to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't hypertension caused by high blood pressure? He didn't work himself to death did he?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really sad to hear, one of the great minds of the industry

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    Isn't hypertension caused by high blood pressure? He didn't work himself to death did he?
    Probably not. High blood pressure isn't just caused by stress, sometimes it's due to other illnesses. My brother has high blood pressure due to a congenital valve defect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy

RIP I remember seeing ads for Enemy Zero in old game mags and wanting to play it reeeeal bad before Sega pulled the plug on a US release. I may cop D2 for my dreamcast in his memory

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSerpico View Post
    RIP I remember seeing ads for Enemy Zero in old game mags and wanting to play it reeeeal bad before Sega pulled the plug on a US release. I may cop D2 for my dreamcast in his memory
    They didn't pull the plug http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enemy-Zero-S...item27cff911cd
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

D was awesome. The twist is one of the rare "Wait, she did WHAT?!" moments I've had while playing game.
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, some of the worst news I have seen in a long time. I adored WARP. I still play D and Trip'd regularly. So young.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

This is awful news. Mr. Eno never quite got the recognition and stature I feel he deserved. Definitely underrated. RIP.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Man, 42 is way too young! This really is a loss. RIP Kenji!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

This is incredibly sad news. When I saw the title of this thread I was just in shock.

Kenji Eno has always been an inspiration for me. He just seemed like such a passionate person and had his own unique way of doing things.

1up featured this interview with Kenji Eno years ago and it is one of the most engaging interviews I have ever read. But maybe I got more out of it than most because of my respect for the guy.

I remember the first time I played a Saturn. My buddy Andrew brought it over to my house with a copy of "D". We turned out all the lights and were just engrossed (and scared shitless a few times).

Eventually I got my own Saturn and I remember the anticipation for Enemy Zeros release. Magazines would show pictures and release little bits of information over the months and it seemed like it took for ever to come out. Eventually it did. I remember my parents taking me to Toys R Us so I could buy it. We came home and I was glued to the t.v. screen for hours. I played Disc 0 (the combat training scenario) for a long time and thought I was ready to tackle the actual game, but I was so wrong. Nothing could prepare me for when you encounter your first Enemy Zero in the basement/cargo area.

I was trying to make it to someones room I believe, and had to make my way through a maze of crates, equipment, barrels and the like. Then I heard the dreaded sound for the first time. "ping". My heart skipped a beat. "ping...ping..." "Oh, god," I thought. "Is this for real." There was an Enemy somewhere nearby and it was invisible. It was then I realized all the combat training that I did earlier was pointless, because now I could die. I had actual game time at stake and to make matters worse, in Enemy Zero, you have a finite number of game saves AND game loads. Suddenly EVERTHING mattered. My characters life really mattered. I began to look around trying to pinpoint the direction of the sound. PING... PING... PING! It was louder and faster than before. The Enemy was closing in on me. My heart was pounding and my hands were sweating. I panicked and began to run while attempting to fire a shot from my gun, but it was no use. I ran straight into the jaws of the Enemy Zero and it was game over.

Years later D2 finally came to fruition on the Dreamcast after the unreleased M2 version and scrapped Saturn version. I snagged it on release day and took it to my friend Andrews house. Where as D was an FMV puzzle game, Enemy Zero began to meld genres like FMV, Myst style puzzles with that of a FPS, D2 took it to a whole other level. Was it an RPG, a hunting game, a survival horror game, a puzzle game, a snowmobile simulator? There were so many different genres that had been brought together within D2 that is really stood apart from anything else we had played before. But none of that would have worked if the games engine had not been up to par. It was one of the most versatile game engines I had ever seen up to that point and it still amazes me to this day. It handled 3rd person exploration, 1st person exploration, First person shooting and sniping, snowmobile driving, Myst style puzzles, cinematic cutscenes etc. It was a unique game from a unique man.

R.I.P Kenji Eno. Your passion, determination and imagination will be missed.
    Last edited by Wraith Storm; 02-22-2013 at 08:50 AM.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My bad, I could have sworn Enemy Zero never got a US release. Was it super-limited or something?