Thread: Infuriating experience getting RGB from retro systems!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Exclamation Infuriating experience getting RGB from retro systems!

So I went into this process somewhat naively. I read many times, if you want old systems like Genesis, Master System, SNES, etc., to look decent on an HDTV (LCD/Plasma/LED) you cannot rely on the original composite. Go to RGB (or component). So I bought a number of SCART cables and the $50 SCART to YUV Component converter. What has transpired has been a frustrating nightmare of nonstop googling!

So I received all the stuff, and first tried the Genesis, which seemed to work well. I had to slightly adjust the pots on the converter to get the colors right. Figured I am ready to go. Then I tried the Master System, got no picture. Tried the Super Nintendo, no picture. Damn it! I verified both SCART cables worked on a CRT in the basement that takes component video. Then I tried Master System roms on my EverDrive via Genesis, and while the games mostly work, often there's a few seconds before the TV seems to register them. F'ing Sony!!!!

So realizing that my TV doesn't like all 240P signals (why does it like the Genesis?), I starting investigating going SCART to HDMI. While that would probably work, the big problem is all the cheap $50-60 converters go to 720p or 1080p, and I believe stretch ALL inputs to 16:9, which I do NOT want. I continued looking into other converters. Many produced a few years ago with the DVDO label can do it, but they are expensive and would require a SCART to BNC cable which isn't cheap either. Also, the audio inputs are very limited. I have seen many ALL to HDMI units coming out of China, that have many inputs I need, but videophiles on avsforum said they are terrible. Plus they cost over $300!

Lastly is the vaunted XRGB series from Japan's Micomsoft, which are the most treasured but cost well over $400!!! This is really insane. I just want to convert SCART to frigging component or HDMI and retain 4:3 ratio for under $100-$125.

If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have a Sony LCD that is 4 years old and it plays my snes and NES perfectly with just the normal RCA cables. I have not tried a genesis, but it should work. Are newer TVs all like this(dont like older systems) or is it just a brand here and there???

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Composite works fine, but looks horrible, it's just way too soft and blotchy. I think it's the Bravia, in terms of the SCART/component adapter issues, because I tried it on a 55" Samsung and it seemed to work a lot better although not perfect. The TV's don't like the 240P signals coming into the component (not composite) input. They are expecting 480i and above, not 240p, and have issues.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

You're not going to like my suggestion as I can tell you want to use them on your LCD. My suggestion would be to use a CRT. They will never look right on a modern T.V. They will always looks best on a CRT. Also, I wouldn't bother with the SNES. The difference between RGB and S-Video on the SNES is marginal at best. Good luck!
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I suggest you focus on your television's handling of legacy inputs.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    You're not going to like my suggestion as I can tell you want to use them on your LCD. My suggestion would be to use a CRT. They will never look right on a modern T.V. They will always looks best on a CRT. Also, I wouldn't bother with the SNES. The difference between RGB and S-Video on the SNES is marginal at best. Good luck!
    I have a CRT, but I'd rather play on the main TV. Also, it has no S-Video, just composite, and although SNES is decent on there, N64 is positively hideous. I'm awaiting an RGB N64 any day now, and kind of doubt the LCD is going to work with it.

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    I suggest you focus on your television's handling of legacy inputs.
    How would I do that? I can't reprogram the television. I've thought about trying to adapt the SCART cable right into the PC/VGA/RGB input on the TV, and see if that works. I don't think it will though, I think the VGA port needs at least a 480p signal. The other alternative is to get a SCART to HDMI converter and just live with the 16:9 stretch which I really hate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

You'll just have to save up money. No 240p from component is a limitation much more crippling than it's given credit.
    Lum fan.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    The other alternative is to get a SCART to HDMI converter and just live with the 16:9 stretch which I really hate.
    Even if the converter wants to output a 16:9 picture, I would imagine you could resize the image back to 4:3 by adjusting your TV settings. It might be worth doing a little test with your setup.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Greg, have you seen the device Joe has at the store? It's a "demodulator" that converts, scales and has pretty much every type of legacy in, and every type of modern out.

It can make a 2600 look pretty crisp on a LCDTV, so I'd bet it'll handle RGB pretty good.

Take a look at it at NAVA, it might do what you need.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Who makes this demodulator? Or at the very least what's the model name so I can look it up.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel View Post
    Even if the converter wants to output a 16:9 picture, I would imagine you could resize the image back to 4:3 by adjusting your TV settings. It might be worth doing a little test with your setup.
    No it can't do that. It can stretch to 16:9 or zoom, but can't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by RARusk View Post
    Who makes this demodulator? Or at the very least what's the model name so I can look it up.
    I'll see what is there tomorrow, but it's possible it's only for composite/S-video and not component. Oddly, a modded N64 seems to work fine, it's just the SMS and SNES that get no picture at all. It's really the fricking Sony TV, and this was the same one which I tried playing DVD's on the original XBOX and it kept putting these purple lines in it (also over component). The big name in upscaling is the Micomsoft XRGB series, but they cost well over $400. It would make more sense for me to buy a new TV.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

This is what Frankie was referring to. Costs $78 from this site, though could be cheaper elsewhere. I've also seen these things convert to HDMI as well, though it costs more. While it takes in VGA, it's looking for 31kHz aka 480p not 15kHz 240p and will not work. While this may "help" old RF-only or composite signals, I think I'd rather just have the old RF-ers modded to Composite or S-Video.

http://www.ambery.com/suvitosxcosw.html