So I went into this process somewhat naively. I read many times, if you want old systems like Genesis, Master System, SNES, etc., to look decent on an HDTV (LCD/Plasma/LED) you cannot rely on the original composite. Go to RGB (or component). So I bought a number of SCART cables and the $50 SCART to YUV Component converter. What has transpired has been a frustrating nightmare of nonstop googling!

So I received all the stuff, and first tried the Genesis, which seemed to work well. I had to slightly adjust the pots on the converter to get the colors right. Figured I am ready to go. Then I tried the Master System, got no picture. Tried the Super Nintendo, no picture. Damn it! I verified both SCART cables worked on a CRT in the basement that takes component video. Then I tried Master System roms on my EverDrive via Genesis, and while the games mostly work, often there's a few seconds before the TV seems to register them. F'ing Sony!!!!

So realizing that my TV doesn't like all 240P signals (why does it like the Genesis?), I starting investigating going SCART to HDMI. While that would probably work, the big problem is all the cheap $50-60 converters go to 720p or 1080p, and I believe stretch ALL inputs to 16:9, which I do NOT want. I continued looking into other converters. Many produced a few years ago with the DVDO label can do it, but they are expensive and would require a SCART to BNC cable which isn't cheap either. Also, the audio inputs are very limited. I have seen many ALL to HDMI units coming out of China, that have many inputs I need, but videophiles on avsforum said they are terrible. Plus they cost over $300!

Lastly is the vaunted XRGB series from Japan's Micomsoft, which are the most treasured but cost well over $400!!! This is really insane. I just want to convert SCART to frigging component or HDMI and retain 4:3 ratio for under $100-$125.

If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.