Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: It's True: 1UP has Reached Its End

  1. #21
    Kirby (Level 13) Tanooki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,957
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    The game media is as much a part of the media as any other entity covering pop culture. There are some good journalists and some bad just like in all media. It's sad that you are so blind to the difference that you lack any objectivity at all in the matter and frankly, your opinion shows just how uninformed you are.
    Uninformed hardly, look at the stories over the years of people exposing paid for reviews and manipulating scores for ad dollars such as Gerstman being fired for panning a game that was being advertised on Gamespot a few years back. I used to work in this media and it sickened me to the point I separated myself from it due to all the childish behavior. I'm well aware there are good and bad people who cover stuff, but the sad reality I was exposed to was that there was more bad than good in doing "honest" even handed reporting depending on the writers preference to X console or genre over Y. It's not hard to go digging at all and find immaturity around M rated games, systems with too many all ages stuff, anti-"insert console maker" news and reviews slants, etc.

  2. #22
    Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    G-Boobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,650
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Uninformed hardly, look at the stories over the years of people exposing paid for reviews and manipulating scores for ad dollars such as Gerstman being fired for panning a game that was being advertised on Gamespot a few years back. I used to work in this media and it sickened me to the point I separated myself from it due to all the childish behavior. I'm well aware there are good and bad people who cover stuff, but the sad reality I was exposed to was that there was more bad than good in doing "honest" even handed reporting depending on the writers preference to X console or genre over Y. It's not hard to go digging at all and find immaturity around M rated games, systems with too many all ages stuff, anti-"insert console maker" news and reviews slants, etc.
    Where did you work? Links or you're another GameFAQs liar.

  3. #23
    Pear (Level 6) Daltone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,258
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Where did you work? Links or you're another GameFAQs liar.
    I look forward to seeing this branch of the conversation develop.

  4. #24
    Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    G-Boobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,650
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    I look forward to seeing this branch of the conversation develop.
    It won't. Tanooki is that most useless of internet conversation polluters: the kind that invents expertise to back up his terrible opinios. His brother works for Nintendo, or Midway, when he needs to defend the Wii-U, but when I ask for a name? He ignores me. When he needs to lump 1Up into the same group as G4 TV and other defunct sites? He's worked in the industry, trust him! But will he provide evidence? Nope.

    He's just another internet guy, but one should always provoke them. Eventually they post something you can disprove through basic research and send them packing in shame. Assuming they have any.

  5. #25
    Pear (Level 6) Daltone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,258
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    It won't. Tanooki is that most useless of internet conversation polluters: the kind that invents expertise to back up his terrible opinios. His brother works for Nintendo, or Midway, when he needs to defend the Wii-U, but when I ask for a name? He ignores me. When he needs to lump 1Up into the same group as G4 TV and other defunct sites? He's worked in the industry, trust him! But will he provide evidence? Nope.

    He's just another internet guy, but one should always provoke them. Eventually they post something you can disprove through basic research and send them packing in shame. Assuming they have any.
    It saddens me a litle that there has been no comeback at all, and yet, it is not expected.

  6. #26
    Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    G-Boobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,650
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    It saddens me a litle that there has been no comeback at all, and yet, it is not expected.
    Agreed.

  7. #27
    Pear (Level 6) Daltone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,258
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Agreed.
    Unfortunately it was the fact that I used a shitty Dell keyboard at work with a load of stiff keys that got me sacked as the editor of Gamespot. Too many typos. It's ok though. I got a job as editor at IGN but left after I realised that a career in Automation and Control Engineering would be more satisfying.

    True story (apart from the lies).

  8. #28
    Kirby (Level 13) Tanooki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,957
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Where did you work? Links or you're another GameFAQs liar.
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/gamecube/defender- (my real name is Jeff Kennedy) I also had worked on NHL Hitz 2002 PS2+Xbox, Legion Legend of Excalubur for PS2, Slugfest for Xbox all credited. Primarily worked just in testing, but also did technical standards evaluation on a couple projects, back-up lead on a pair, and helped with some controller/gameplay layout alternative controls for GC Defender and that's it. Uncredited Gauntlet Dark Legacy GC-PAL, Dr Muto all systems, and a few others but they wouldn't credit people for overtime work on those systems, just the primarily assigned staff. And then as far as the media went GCAdvanced.com which in turn was converted to AMN Advanced Media Network, which eventually yet again re-branded to Kombo.com which still exists, but is under an entire new ownership, staff and named gamezone.com now (old records removed unfortunately.) While at that media company I did a few editorials and special stories, and most the time previews and reviews of handheld titles for the GBA and DS. The old internet wayback machine hasn't many records left that work, but here's one review I finally found for Ultimate Spiderman for GBA -- http://web.archive.org/web/200512281...php?artid=6031 and a FF4 Advance preview too -- http://web.archive.org/web/200602032...php?artid=6137

    I don't see a reason to lie about working on stuff like that in the past and it would be pretty pathetic to do so especially on a gaming board where anyone could potentially remember a media outlet or have a copy of a game I have listed and just thumb the manual to see if I'm lying or not. I don't have any credits as far as I know on gamefaqs though which really shouldn't matter as mobygames has a better credited listing system. I also am not lying when I say I have a brother still in it, look up Sean Kennedy (currently at pipeworks, formerly of Volition, Sega Sammy, EA San Diego, Rockstar Games) and if he passes stuff on I can talk about I do.

    I have no idea why you have to always be such a dick to me. I have no idea who you are and I've never taken a shot at you either so what the hell is the problem? Just needed a random person to be shitty at to feel better about yourself? Sorry if I didn't come right back at you so you could have some more cheap fun, but I don't read this board every day.

  9. #29
    Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    G-Boobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,650
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/gamecube/defender- (my real name is Jeff Kennedy) I also had worked on NHL Hitz 2002 PS2+Xbox, Legion Legend of Excalubur for PS2, Slugfest for Xbox all credited. Primarily worked just in testing, but also did technical standards evaluation on a couple projects, back-up lead on a pair, and helped with some controller/gameplay layout alternative controls for GC Defender and that's it. Uncredited Gauntlet Dark Legacy GC-PAL, Dr Muto all systems, and a few others but they wouldn't credit people for overtime work on those systems, just the primarily assigned staff. And then as far as the media went GCAdvanced.com which in turn was converted to AMN Advanced Media Network, which eventually yet again re-branded to Kombo.com which still exists, but is under an entire new ownership, staff and named gamezone.com now (old records removed unfortunately.) While at that media company I did a few editorials and special stories, and most the time previews and reviews of handheld titles for the GBA and DS. The old internet wayback machine hasn't many records left that work, but here's one review I finally found for Ultimate Spiderman for GBA -- http://web.archive.org/web/200512281...php?artid=6031 and a FF4 Advance preview too -- http://web.archive.org/web/200602032...php?artid=6137
    Ha ha! Now THAT is a response! Well played! None of the links to your reviews on the Wayback machine work, and you're not on LinkedIn so it's impossible to verify your claims, but I like your spirit.

    I have no idea why you have to always be such a dick to me. I have no idea who you are and I've never taken a shot at you either so what the hell is the problem? Just needed a random person to be shitty at to feel better about yourself? Sorry if I didn't come right back at you so you could have some more cheap fun, but I don't read this board every day.
    Nah.

    I'll admit that some of your posts have a whiff of that which annoys me most; self-identification with products and companies that don't know you exist; in this case, Nintendo. This might also be the first post in which you use proper grammar and spelling, for whatever that's worth. Also, your opinions? Kinda on the extreme side of a seventeen year old NeoGAF user. Your complete dismissal of 1UP as an entity based entirely on the supposition that since SOME websites have had scandals involving payouts for positive reviews, then clearly ALL of them must be on the take, for example. Which is terrible logic, by the way. It shows a remarkable lack of compassion and empathy for the people who lost their jobs, and annoys the folks who have positive memories of the 1UP community. Kinda like telling people at a funeral that you thought the deceased was kind of a dick because you heard third hand that he was kinda racist, and then wondering why people call you out.

    Still, I am the asshole in this equation, and I have been humbled. You have my apologies.

  10. #30
    Kirby (Level 13) Tanooki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,957
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Ok well they work for me on this end, and I just double checked and they still do from off of this site. If you wish I can supply you with my backups of the original reviews in MS Word format and you can pull the info from that as if it would do any good. But, you can view them here if you download a zip file: http://tanooki.home.insightbb.com/AMN-Reviews.zip

    How is it exactly that I self-identify with Nintendo in some way I'd think they'd give two shits about who I am? Opinions are like assholes you know and you know how that goes. NeoGAF I've never registered to and I've barely read anything from that site. The pompous stupid shit I have had linked to me from there before I find entirely unappealing in any way, about on the same level as slamming your finger in a car door. My dismissal of 1UP goes back to my entire digust with their original roots with EGM and I've rarely if ever valued their opinions because as someone who grew up with Nintendo products I got fed up with their blind contempt and ratty reviews they did back in the 90s. I've read pieces on 1UP over time and when they're not opinion or review based they did fine enough work, but when it came to reviews I just didn't trust it much and used them along with various other sites to get a blanket feel on a game not trusting just one source. I feel bad for anyone who has lost their job, and perhaps it didn't show that empathy in the post, but that's just not where I chose to take it when I made the post as it was about 1UP the entity, not the individuals.

  11. #31
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,272
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/gamecube/defender- (my real name is Jeff Kennedy) I also had worked on NHL Hitz 2002 PS2+Xbox, Legion Legend of Excalubur for PS2, Slugfest for Xbox all credited. Primarily worked just in testing, but also did technical standards evaluation on a couple projects, back-up lead on a pair, and helped with some controller/gameplay layout alternative controls for GC Defender and that's it. Uncredited Gauntlet Dark Legacy GC-PAL, Dr Muto all systems, and a few others but they wouldn't credit people for overtime work on those systems, just the primarily assigned staff. And then as far as the media went GCAdvanced.com which in turn was converted to AMN Advanced Media Network, which eventually yet again re-branded to Kombo.com which still exists, but is under an entire new ownership, staff and named gamezone.com now (old records removed unfortunately.) While at that media company I did a few editorials and special stories, and most the time previews and reviews of handheld titles for the GBA and DS. The old internet wayback machine hasn't many records left that work, but here's one review I finally found for Ultimate Spiderman for GBA -- http://web.archive.org/web/200512281...php?artid=6031 and a FF4 Advance preview too -- http://web.archive.org/web/200602032...php?artid=6137

    I don't see a reason to lie about working on stuff like that in the past and it would be pretty pathetic to do so especially on a gaming board where anyone could potentially remember a media outlet or have a copy of a game I have listed and just thumb the manual to see if I'm lying or not. I don't have any credits as far as I know on gamefaqs though which really shouldn't matter as mobygames has a better credited listing system. I also am not lying when I say I have a brother still in it, look up Sean Kennedy (currently at pipeworks, formerly of Volition, Sega Sammy, EA San Diego, Rockstar Games) and if he passes stuff on I can talk about I do.

    I have no idea why you have to always be such a dick to me. I have no idea who you are and I've never taken a shot at you either so what the hell is the problem? Just needed a random person to be shitty at to feel better about yourself? Sorry if I didn't come right back at you so you could have some more cheap fun, but I don't read this board every day.
    So, assuming you're not lying, your entire industry stint consisted of being a tester (i.e. a minimum wage position that generally requires no experience or specific qualifications) and working for completely unknown/non-professional websites and writing stuff that has been wiped from the face of the Internet. Not exactly the kind of background and experience that would support your outrageous and ridiculous opinions about what was a fairly professional and well read news and review website. That's like some guy who has only ever worked on his own website complaining that just because he's unprofessional and dishonest that somehow everyone who works for a professional website would be as well. It just doesn't work that way.

  12. #32
    Kirby (Level 13) Tanooki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,957
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Wow nice troll post. Did that take you a long time to think that up on your own? You seem a bit too emotionally compromised by your love for a dying website to act like a rational and normal human being. I guess it really isn't hard to say stuff like that on a message board like an internet tough guy when you can hide behind a monitor. Just let it go as there's far more fun things I bet in your life to worry about than if I'm telling the truth or not.

  13. #33
    Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    kainemaxwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    12,578
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    This sucks, I enjoy their podcasts...
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

  14. #34
    Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ra Cailum
    Posts
    825
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

    Default

    Its depressing to see another gaming website fall to the wayside. I used to visit their site more often but dropped off a year or so ago when they seemed to only repost from others so I ended up just going to those sites instead. That and putting up a vita page link and never actually making a vita page helped push me off of their site.

  15. #35
    DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Kitsune Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Calexico, USA
    Posts
    13,853
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Ha ha! Now THAT is a response! Well played! None of the links to your reviews on the Wayback machine work, and you're not on LinkedIn so it's impossible to verify your claims, but I like your spirit.
    Not to butt in the uh, discussion, but the links work fine for me as well. What error did the site show you? Have you checked that you don't have the Wayback Archive blocked by accident or a jerky ISP / sysadmin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

  16. #36
    Kirby (Level 13) Griking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,548
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Ha ha! Now THAT is a response! Well played! None of the links to your reviews on the Wayback machine work, and you're not on LinkedIn so it's impossible to verify your claims, but I like your spirit.
    All of his links work for me as well.

  17. #37
    Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Gameguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Ontario (Canada)
    Posts
    7,170
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    31
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Ha ha! Now THAT is a response! Well played! None of the links to your reviews on the Wayback machine work, and you're not on LinkedIn so it's impossible to verify your claims, but I like your spirit.
    The links are also working fine for me.

  18. #38
    Great Puma (Level 12) YoshiM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    4,139
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    15
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YoshiDM
    PSN
    YoshiDM
    3DS Friend
    0860-4642-4923

    Default

    Links work on my iPhone as well.

  19. #39
    Insert Coin (Level 0) chilimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    46
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Good riddance! Bunch of castrated sissies ran that place. You couldn't say anything even slightly controversial without some oversensitive priss throwing a fit and telling you what a lousy person you are for not kissing everyone's ass and trying to fit in with the rest of them. Basically what I was told by some mods there was this: This is a game site for people who suffer with hypogonadism. If you are not sufering with hypogonadism (and obviously you are not), then you should leave! And so I did. Not surprised they crashed and burned. Probably from a lack of quality leadership. You got to have balls to be a good leader.

  20. #40
    DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Kitsune Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Calexico, USA
    Posts
    13,853
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chilimac View Post
    Good riddance! Bunch of castrated sissies ran that place. You couldn't say anything even slightly controversial without some oversensitive priss throwing a fit and telling you what a lousy person you are for not kissing everyone's ass and trying to fit in with the rest of them. Basically what I was told by some mods there was this: This is a game site for people who suffer with hypogonadism. If you are not sufering with hypogonadism (and obviously you are not), then you should leave! And so I did. Not surprised they crashed and burned. Probably from a lack of quality leadership. You got to have balls to be a good leader.
    ... I thought we were talking about 1Up, not GameFAQs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 02:50 PM
  2. Just reached NES milestone.....
    By Lostdwarf in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 05:11 AM
  3. SNES milestone reached
    By Iron Draggon in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-09-2006, 11:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •