Thread: ColecoVision Controllers

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ColecoVision Controllers

I don't really know what I'm expecting for an answer to this question, but I'd be a fool not to ask...

I recently pulled out my ColecoVision from the basement where it was unceremoniously dumped by my parents a few years ago. I took it with me and set it up in my apartment. The connectors were a little dusty but after some cleaning, the system worked great.

The problem is the controllers.

One of the controllers does not seem to work at all. The other has a couple nagging problems: The right trigger button is unresponsive, and the "right" movement on the actual joystick is also a bit touchy.

Does anyone have any information about fixing a Coleco controller? I used a screwdriver to open one up, but I didn't have any idea what to look for. It could be that the controller connections are just worn out, or that the connectors are old and no longer making the connections. Or, it could be something totally differet, I don't know.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

My Complete Collection - Currently expanding my PS2 collection by buying up every five dollar game I see

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

As far as the direction goes, you'll notice around the stick there's a silver foil ring on the circuit board where the stick presses down to make the directionals. You might see if that's broken at all. It should be a complete circle. The controllers I've had that were broken had this problem.

For the side buttons, contact cleaner in the buttons should help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sometimes the little metal contacts for direction are literally cracked in two, causing intermittent function. This can be repaired, by soldering out the old contact pad, and soldering in a non cracked one from a donor controller.

I usually prefer contact cleaner when cleaning old electronics (especially paddle potentiometers), but CV controller side buttons seem to respond really well to WD-40. Do not take CV side button mechanism (the internal part) apart. Nigh impossible to properly re-assemble. Just squirt 'em with a touch of WD40. If that doesn't fix the side button, it's done for in my opinion.

I can sell or trade away re-furbed CV controllers. I have about 6 spares right now waiting for me to get off my butt and refurb 'em. If anyone needs some, pm me.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    Sometimes the little metal contacts for direction are literally cracked in two, causing intermittent function. This can be repaired, by soldering out the old contact pad, and soldering in a non cracked one from a donor controller.

I usually prefer contact cleaner when cleaning old electronics (especially paddle potentiometers), but CV controller side buttons seem to respond really well to WD-40. Do not take CV side button mechanism (the internal part) apart. Nigh impossible to properly re-assemble. Just squirt 'em with a touch of WD40. If that doesn't fix the side button, it's done for in my opinion.

I can sell or trade away re-furbed CV controllers. I have about 6 spares right now waiting for me to get off my butt and refurb 'em. If anyone needs some, pm me.
    This is perhaps a useless post to most people, but I gotta say that you tend to give excellent maintenance advice. Makes me want to rip open my busted Genesis controllers and work 'em over...

Duncan
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU