Thread: Found Odyssey 2 Holy grail game in mint condition (in the wild!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Found Odyssey 2 Holy grail game in mint condition (in the wild!)

This should inspire some that believe there are no longer any Holy Grail retro games to find out in the wild. This mint condition , complete Power Lords for Odyssey 2 was found last week at an estate sale for $4 . I have to thank 2 friends of mine who know I collect old video games giving me the heads up on the sale and the fact that the sale contained an old Odyssey 2 collection, I paid $44 total for a mostly mint collection of about 20 games with console (all boxed and complete). I am not an Odyssey 2 expert so i did not know exactly what i had when I first saw it, I did research the collection this morning and to say I was pleasantly surprised is an under statement. The last Power Lords sold in this condition brought around $182 and there is currently one listed much higher on eBay (although it wont sell ever at that ridiculous price) . Since i have been collecting 25+ years I have only ever found 3 (this being the 4th) holy grail type pieces out in the wild. So its a big deal for me anyway .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

That is awesome.

Whenever I find an ODY2 lot in the wild this is all I look for. If Power Lords is not in there 9/10 the owner wants too much for it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nice find! Love seeing this stuff.

I have a ton of great finds, all it comes down to.......... keep looking. I go out 3-4 times a month, not a lot. The stuff I have found, most people wouldnt believe.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    Nice find! Love seeing this stuff.

I have a ton of great finds, all it comes down to.......... keep looking. I go out 3-4 times a month, not a lot. The stuff I have found, most people wouldnt believe.
    YES! keep looking! so many times one can give up after countless goodwill excursions and garage sales turning up nothing , I am still on cloud 9. This is what a collector dreams of. I am so grateful to have experienced it today and happy I had the time to share with you guys .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Congratulations. My personal holy grails for the Odyssey 2 console would be any of the third-party games, I've never seen any of them in the wild (other than at a game convention).

I'm barely looking for games anymore. I'm just demoralized from going out so often and coming back empty-handed. Today's Saturday, I was planning on going flea market shopping, but ended up calling it off because I couldn't motivate myself to drive an hour and a half to get outside the Dallas area where I might have slightly more of a chance to find something.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm gonna second you guys on rarity of the third party O2 Games, holy crap are they hard to come by. I do have a complete US 0dyssey 2 collection but the one thing I don't have is a box for Atlantis, it's the most naggling thing in the world. I have had a saved search on Ebay for years and they almost never turn up, maybe like two or three times and the only one boxed was severely damaged so I passed.

Great find on the Powerlords though, doesn't it feel great to find something that awesome in the wild! I have had several finds like that before but not in a while. The last single thing of real high value I found was a boxed complete 1972 Magnavox Odyssey for $55 on Craigslist by accident but that was in 2011.

Great job there and the rest of you need to keep looking and your time will come.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    I'm gonna second you guys on rarity of the third party O2 Games, holy crap are they hard to come by. I do have a complete US 0dyssey 2 collection but the one thing I don't have is a box for Atlantis, it's the most naggling thing in the world. I have had a saved search on Ebay for years and they almost never turn up, maybe like two or three times and the only one boxed was severely damaged so I passed.

Great find on the Powerlords though, doesn't it feel great to find something that awesome in the wild! I have had several finds like that before but not in a while. The last single thing of real high value I found was a boxed complete 1972 Magnavox Odyssey for $55 on Craigslist by accident but that was in 2011.

Great job there and the rest of you need to keep looking and your time will come.
    Now you know how I felt when I was looking for the later complete in box Sonic games and Tails games for Game Gear. They almost never turn up and sometimes the only way you'll find a box is to pay the price for a sealed copy. I am still thankful to the one on here who sold me Tails Adventure sealed. I'd only be willing to let my CIB Sonic Game Gear collection go if I was paid double what I did to get the stuff in the first place. Otherwise I'd keep it.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love hearing about these kinds of finds in the wild. No matter what the system is , just seeing good finds still being found keeps me going looking for items on my end.
    Current Collection Stats As Of 12/10/2013 : Cartridges - 206 ( 182 unique titles 24 label variations ) : Cassettes - 21 :

Currently in the market for :

+ Atari 8 bit game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
    + Atari 8 Bit Prototype and Demo cartridges
    + Atari 8 bit manuals and boxes

PM me if you see anything above that you have doubles or interest in getting rid of.

Check out my
    Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at http://www.a8museum.com
    Atari 8-Bit Museum on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/groups/392317377550512/
    And on Ebay under the handle ThePaperVault

Insert Coin (Level 0) scaleworm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=Atari2600Lives;1954546]This should inspire some that believe there are no longer any Holy Grail retro games to find out in the wild. This mint condition , complete Power Lords for Odyssey 2 was found last week at an estate sale for $4 .

I am SO truly happy for you.
    I found a mess of 2600 games yesterday.
    It seems not many folks these days are interested in the truly original systems.
    I do love them...
    CONGRATS!
    Game on!

Insert Coin (Level 0) scaleworm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Congratulations. My personal holy grails for the Odyssey 2 console would be any of the third-party games, I've never seen any of them in the wild (other than at a game convention).

I'm barely looking for games anymore. I'm just demoralized from going out so often and coming back empty-handed. Today's Saturday, I was planning on going flea market shopping, but ended up calling it off because I couldn't motivate myself to drive an hour and a half to get outside the Dallas area where I might have slightly more of a chance to find something.
    I fully agree. The world for goodies is drying up...
    Game on!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I have to agree. I've found every released title and even a few Ody2 prototypes in the wild but never once a 3rd party Ody2 game.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

[QUOTE=scaleworm;1954650]
    Quote Originally Posted by Atari2600Lives View Post
    This should inspire some that believe there are no longer any Holy Grail retro games to find out in the wild. This mint condition , complete Power Lords for Odyssey 2 was found last week at an estate sale for $4 .

I am SO truly happy for you.
    I found a mess of 2600 games yesterday.
    It seems not many folks these days are interested in the truly original systems.
    I do love them...
    CONGRATS!
    Yeah that's true. I have some complete in box Atari 2600 and Odyssey 2 games that I can't get near what I paid for them 2 years ago. I keep listing them on ebay for less and less and I still get no bites because they're common. They've been listed on Atariage for half a year too and nobody even asked about haggling. They take up the space that I want to use for other stuff now (games that mean more to me) so I almost wonder if it would be more fun to paint my trash can yellow, draw eyes on it and "feed them to Pac-Man."
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome find. I still haven't found a complete copy of this game yet.

BTW, shouldn't this be in the Finds Thread?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    I've found every released title and even a few Ody2 prototypes in the wild but never once a 3rd party Ody2 game.
    Wow, you found Odyssey 2 prototypes? I'd probably get a nose bleed if I found that. In fact, the only prototype-type-thing I've ever come across was a magazine pre-release review copy of a game in a retro game store, and I didn't even buy it, 98PaceCar did. I'd love to come across a prototype in the wild some time, but in this day and age I can't see it happening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Congrats on the nice score. Love to see the O2 appricated. I own a CIB NTSC O2 set, and Power Lords was the last game I got for the set. Atlantis and Demon Attack complete are pretty tough to find these days.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Wow, you found Odyssey 2 prototypes? I'd probably get a nose bleed if I found that. In fact, the only prototype-type-thing I've ever come across was a magazine pre-release review copy of a game in a retro game store, and I didn't even buy it, 98PaceCar did. I'd love to come across a prototype in the wild some time, but in this day and age I can't see it happening.
    Yeah it was at a flee market. The guy wanted more than I was willing to pay for a boxed system and loose games but there was at least 1 prototype (this was late 1990s I am guessing so detail are blurry) in the box. I asked how much for just a game and bought the prototype cart(s) ($1-$3 each) leaving the rest for someone else.

These were the ONLY prototypes I've ever found in the wild of Cleveland Ohio.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    Yeah it was at a flee market. The guy wanted more than I was willing to pay for a boxed system and loose games but there was at least 1 prototype (this was late 1990s I am guessing so detail are blurry) in the box. I asked how much for just a game and bought the prototype cart(s) ($1-$3 each) leaving the rest for someone else.

These were the ONLY prototypes I've ever found in the wild of Cleveland Ohio.
    Great story about the prototype!