Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is a Vita worth getting yet?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Jive3D; 05-01-2022 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jive3D View Post
    I would have already bought one to be a good buddy with my 3DSXL if I had not missed out on that Assassin's Creed Bundle Deal from late last year (where it was something like $170). That's the sweet spot. It's a super capable device with, okay not enough games, but a decent amount.

I want it b/c I love handhelds and I love Wipeout. .
    If you love handhelds, and you love Wipeout, then a Vita is a mandatory purchase. Wipeout 2048 is easily one of the 5 best games on the system, and without question is a powerhouse in both the visuals, and the audio. It's a real Tour De Force experience on the handheld. When I'm playing that game, at times, it's like I've got a miniature sized PS3 in the palm of my hands, and it's an amazing experience. The sound is amazing, the visuals are amazing and the playability is strong. The only thing that really sucks about Wipeout on Vita is the God Awful load times. However, there is a way to mitigate those lengthy load times. Instead of playing different tracks each time you play, focus in on a specific track and just hit the refresh button as soon as the race is over, and boom, you're back into doing that race again. I try to keep playing the same tracks until I get an elite pass for that track, and then I move forward.

I had Wipeout 2048 as one of my free PS+ games, but my subscription ran out, and I'm waiting for there to be something really tempting to make me subscribe to plus again. In the meanwhile, I was going crazy without my Wipeout fix, so I grabbed one off Ebay for $13 shipped. It came with the un-used online pass and everything. So, a copy of Wipeout is pretty cheap (if you don't decide to get plus).

Used Vita's can be had on Craigslist anywhere from as cheap as $140 for just the Vita and charger, to about $180 with a 8 gig mem card and a decent game thrown in. Don't bother getting the 4 gig mem cards, because they are only worth 5 bucks. I'd look for a used Via with an 8 gig or bigger memory card, along with one game that I'm really interested in (Rayman Origins, Assassins' Creed, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Unit 13, etc).

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Certain games are dirt cheap, so don't pay too much for them:

Little Deviants - This is probably the cheapest Vita game out there. I got one recently for $6.09 shipped. No joke.

MLB '12: The Show - This game can definitely be had for $10. I wouldn't mind buying one for about $7

Fifa Soccer - This game can be had for $13. One of the greatest portable sports games I've ever played. I sold the two that I used to have awhile back, but now I'm wishing I had them back. I've been trying to find this game for about 9 bucks shipped but hadn't had any luck yet. I don't want to pay $13

Hot Shots Golf - Amazing game. You can get this for $14 on Ebay. I'm trying to find one for $10

ModNation Racers - Should be able to find this game for $9 or less, but I'd only pay $5 for it lol

Mortal Kombat - This has been sold many times for $9.99 and there are lots of them floating around now. You should be able to get one of these for $9.99 if you wait for it to go on sale again. Used it goes for about $14 or $15 right now.

Wipeout 2048 - Should be able to find this for $13 or $14 on Ebay. The key is to get one with an unused online pass for $13 or $14 shipped. Worth every single penny, one of the 5 best Vita games without a doubt.

Lego Vita Games - A bunch of the various Lego Vita games go for about $11 or $12 on Ebay. I don't know if any of them are any good.

Reality Fighters - You can get these for about $8 on Ebay, but the game is pretty crappy.

Army Corps of Hell - I think Amazon or somebody is selling this for $12.99 brand new

Madden 13 - You can get this for about $14 or $15 used, but it's kinda mediocre..

Dungeon Hunter Alliance - You can get this for about $14 or $15.
    Last edited by WCP; 04-11-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Assuming you have Wipeout HD and Fury on your PS3 PSN already, then HD/Fury DLC will be free. It gives you the entire HD/Fury campaign mode and allows you to race against PS3 and Vita owners with those tracks as well. You can still do cross play against PS3 owners if you don't own HD/Fury, but you can only race against them in two or three tracks.

I'd also recommend connecting to where the internet is connected while you're getting on Wipeout 2048 the first time and download the update patch. The load times are halved, so it doesn't take nearly as long as it did before the patch. I think it's pretty quick after the patch. After the patch, I'd say it probably takes the same time or a little less than HD/Fury on the PS3 takes to load a track. The game would also rarely have a noticeable frame drop and only when there were really action heavy sequences on screen, but the patches take care of all that as well. Framerate doesn't ever seem to drop anymore.

The only game I'd highly recommend not getting out of what WCP mentioned is Little Deviants. The game is absolutely horrid and there's a reason you can get it for so cheap. The only enjoyable mini game in Little Deviants is the sky diving. There's actually a level someone made where it takes the sky diving from Little Deviants and replicates it in LBP Vita.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnQl0mcwlgU
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post

The only game I'd highly recommend not getting out of what WCP mentioned is Little Deviants. The game is absolutely horrid and there's a reason you can get it for so cheap. The only enjoyable mini game in Little Deviants is the sky diving. There's actually a level someone made where it takes the sky diving from Little Deviants and replicates it in LBP Vita.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Little Deviants, but 6 bucks shipped is 6 bucks shipped, heh.. Basically, it's just one of those things where it's nice to have another Vita game to fuck around with here and there. It's more of a tech demo than anything else, but I'll play it a bit and then probably sell the thing off. I've played with it a bit, but haven't gotten very far into it. It's certainly not a showcase game or anything, but I still think it's worth messing around with if you can get one for dirt cheap. I definitely wouldn't pay more than $6 or $7 max for it, and I'd only buy it with the idea that I would screw around with the game for awhile and then sell it off to somebody else. I should be able to sell it for 6 bucks when I'm done with it, so it will only cost me 9 cents, in the grand scheme of things. I have two younger kids that might enjoy some of it as well.