Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When Will Sony Cease Being a Hardware Manufacturer?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I disagree. The culture of social media and instantaneous customer feedback has provided the video game industry with invaluable information that probably has saved many companies from making some potentially company-ending mistakes. It also has allowed for low-cost awareness of products that according to many metrics are more effective than the multi-million dollar ad campaigns and product roll-outs the big manufacturers have traditionally done for new consoles or games. I actually was a "journalist" in the 1990s before the whole social media movement became mainstream and I can tell you that rather than getting good feedback from customers and potential customers, companies relied on journalists, many of whom saw games as any other generic media type and professional analysts to make critical decisions. That why you had blunders like the Sega Saturn being released with little or no retailer support in place and few launch games or the Virtual Boy, a product consumers never asked for or wanted. Those things would very likely never happen today as consumers are happy to express their opinions for free in easily accessible forums and media platforms the second a product is even rumored.

The reality is that publishers and manufacturers are savvy. There are entire companies they employ devoted to culling data from social media and forums or running disguised forums for these companies seeking consumer feedback. Sites like Digital Press and other niche sites aren't even on their radar. Consumer feedback also isn't necessarily the major driver of business decisions even if it is helpful.

I don't feel sorry for the video game industry any more than I feel sorry for Apple or Google or any other successful company that makes it money by pushing minor innovations to cater to niche customers out every few months all the while generating record profits. As long as there is an Internet, people will always share their opinions freely and companies can use that information to both their benefit and their peril.
    While I absolutely agree about the critical voice of the masses preventing things like Virtual Boy in the modern era is a helpful side effect of the "free" data and that's a good thing, I also believe that it's tipped WAY WAY too far in scope and volume to be genuinely informative data. typically it's just a wall of white-noise-level negativity from the whole of the gaming community.

You may not be feeling it, but I feel a sense of negativity and bitterness thats been building throughout these past few generations. With the explosion of social media its become a mess that doesn't allow for a real academic/constructive type of criticism to ever even occur. It's just angry noise for the sake of angry noise.

I don't find that beneficial at all and something's got to give in the long term.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 02-25-2013 at 08:51 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If the current status of the PS3 indicates that Sony should be out of the console market after one or two more home consoles, then, by that logic, Nintendo should already be out of hardware manufacturing. There's an old adage among gamers that no console manufacturer can stay on top for three generations in a row. To the best of my knowledge, that's never been proven false. The N64 definitely didn't have the same level of success as the NES/Famicom and SNES/Super Famicom, and neither did the GameCube. And yet look at the Wii, a huge hit. I see no reason to think Sony is going to pull a Sega any time soon.

That said, I too am among those who have a PS1 and PS2 but no PS3. My interest in Sony's home consoles has decreased with each generation. I still haven't bothered to get a PS3 both because of price and a lack of games that are appealing to my tastes. And while the PS3 can be had for $200-$300 the last couple years, I was able to get a brand new arcade model 360 for something like $160 back in 2008.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

That why you had blunders like the Sega Saturn being released with little or no retailer support in place and few launch games or the Virtual Boy, a product consumers never asked for or wanted. Those things would very likely never happen today as consumers are happy to express their opinions for free in easily accessible forums and media platforms the second a product is even rumored.
    Then I'm sure glad things were different back then because I quite enjoy my Virtual Boy. :P I have more fun with games like Mario's Tennis and Virtual Boy Wario Land than I do with most modern games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    If the current status of the PS3 indicates that Sony should be out of the console market after one or two more home consoles, then, by that logic, Nintendo should already be out of hardware manufacturing. There's an old adage among gamers that no console manufacturer can stay on top for three generations in a row. To the best of my knowledge, that's never been proven false. The N64 definitely didn't have the same level of success as the NES/Famicom and SNES/Super Famicom, and neither did the GameCube. And yet look at the Wii, a huge hit. I see no reason to think Sony is going to pull a Sega any time soon.

That said, I too am among those who have a PS1 and PS2 but no PS3. My interest in Sony's home consoles has decreased with each generation. I still haven't bothered to get a PS3 both because of price and a lack of games that are appealing to my tastes. And while the PS3 can be had for $200-$300 the last couple years, I was able to get a brand new arcade model 360 for something like $160 back in 2008.
    The Wii was the first Nintendo home console I didn't buy; It just didn't appeal to me. I did buy the PS3 and 360 within the same year, even though it set me back about $900 between the Elite and a BC PS3.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    What a line of bullshit. Your daughter can be very happy whether you purchase her a Wii U or a PS4. Obviously it's catering to the people with the money to buy the console first and foremost, but as much family friendly software as Sony pushed last gen, you really don't think Little Big Planet 3 will be released on the PS4? Sony announced three first party titles. Obviously since they didn't announce more means they must not have more titles to announce.

Not only that, but you do realize the 3DS was once $250 as well. People can purchase whatever they want, it's their money, but your post is clearly bashing the brand.

And apparently those of us on this board don't have lives, don't have families, don't have bills. It's a wonder how many of us purchase not only one, but multiple consoles released each gen. I'm not saying you don't know how to spend your money, but from my friends and other people I know, the average person is very wasteful with how they spend their money. You might not realize it, but video games are the cheapest form of entertainment, even if you were to get every game you were interested in day one. It may look more expensive because you're paying all that cash out at once, but what's more expensive; the average person who eats out at fast food or restaurants atleast once sometimes twice a day or a video game console that costs $500 and one $60 game each month? The video game console and game per month would average less than $70 a month for five years while the amount of money people would save by cooking food at home for your family and not eating out at every chance would save hundreds.
    It is not my intention to bash the brand, at all. I loved my PS1 and PS2. I am fully aware of the fact that video games can be one of the cheapest forms of entertainment there is. It's not cheap, per se, but you are right that the cost over time is less than many things. I haven't gone to the movies in about four years. I don't have a smartphone and data plan. I don't subscribe to Netflix, or DVR service from my cable company. I don't eat out often (once a week, if that). I'm a single mom. My budget is tight, and I try to stretch it as far as I can. No, $250-300 won't "make or break" me, but I'm still careful with what I purchase. And yes, I'm fully aware of how much the 3DS was originally. I waited until it went down in price and purchased it with a bundled game as a Christmas present for my daughter two years ago. Believe me, it killed a little part of the gamer in me not to get a PS3 and play Gran Turismo 5. The original Gran Turismo is what made me fall in love with the PS1 and buy one, and I played 2, 3, and 4 avidly. But it seems like every time I've gotten close to pulling the trigger on buying one, priorities or circumstances have forced me to shift my attention elsewhere.

How dare you have the audacity to tell me what MY child will enjoy - I'm the one who's raised her, and knows her likes and dislikes when it comes to gaming. I was also talking about buying a PS3 - not a PS4. That's another ballgame entirely, and one I'll wait and see about. She's never heard of Little Big Planet, and I'm not about to take a multi-hundred-dollar gamble just to find out whether she would when I can purchase a console for her with games and characters I know for a fact she enjoys, that she asks for, that her friends also have and play. Now, it would be different if I already had a PS3 - I'd be perfectly comfortable investing in a game to see if she liked it, or renting it from the library for free. I've done that with my 360. But heck, I don't even know anyone who has a PS3 that I could borrow one from to try it out. All of my friends and family have either Wiis, Wii Us, or Xbox 360s. If I'd bought her a PS3, I'd have sat there with a squirming feeling that I had bought it for myself instead of her. It would be different if she'd come to me after being at friend's house and talked about how much fun she had playing X or Y on so-and-so's PS3. But that was not the case.
    Last edited by danawhitaker; 02-25-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    I'm someone that bought a PS1 and PS2, but has never bought a PS3. At first, the problem was price. I couldn't justify the cost at launch. Then, as time went on, I couldn't justify the still-high cost. Now we're into year seven, and new ones STILL sell for almost $300. I can't justify that for a six year old end-of-life console.
    Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    This is my situation as well. PS3 has always been an overpriced system, and remains so. I may own one if I ever find one cheap enough at Salvation Army or a yard sale.
    I feel your pain and I think alot of gamers shared your sentiments when the PS3 launched. That price was ridiculously high and I always felt that Sony kind of shunned the US and UK. Everyone and every country complained about the high price but Japan was the only region that had their 20 gig system lowered by 20%(before the system launched)after the Japanese also complained. But I still wanted a PS3. I had a Wii and a 360 already so there wasn't really much the PS3 could offer me....except exclusives. And I wanted to own all three current gen systems. But like Dana mentioned, many of us(probably all of us actually) have alot of real world priorities to juggle, the first of which is usually bills. So in order for me to get another system(the PS3) I decided to get it used. To date I have owned three PS3's, two launch systems bought at yard sales(for $75 and $100 respectively) and a 3 month old 160 gig slim for $150 with three recent games(bought from a craig slist ad) that I sold for about $95(the three games) to make my like-new slim cost me around $55 total.

When retail is too much for one's budget getting the system used is a nice alternative. I would of course advice against buying a first gen PS3 used, even though both of mine worked well. Just make sure you are going to use it. I had acquired all three of my PS3's in 2011 as early as February and didn't start playing my slim until 2012. Just like I have budget constraints I also have time constraints. Anyway, I eventually sold one of my launch units but I'm glad I picked up my PS3's. However, if not for the fact that I got a good deal on them I would still be like you two waiting for the price to go down.

Back on topic, Sony hasn't been doing that great during this gen despite how many systems they have sold this generation. Besides for bluray and the cell it also seems like Sony pretty much just looked at what Microsoft and Nintendo was doing and heavily "borrowed" their ideals. They definitely aren't the same company that innovated so well back during the PS1 and PS2 days. But they have been successful enough in the gaming world and other consumer electronic catagories where they could afford a failed system or two. And I'm not even calling the PS3 a failure because it has managed to sell some 65+ million systems. But they are no longer the console leader, not in sales or innovation. And in the US they will have to contend with going from first last gen to last this gen. But thats more of a wake up call for them than anything else. Watching that press conference last week showed me that they have learned from their arrogant ways when they launched the PS3 back in 2006. So I don't think they are in danger of pulling a Sega unless people decide worldwide to boycott their next system.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

How dare you have the audacity to tell me what MY child will enjoy
    I didn't say "will." I said can. It's a video game console and regardless what one she owns, she'll still be able to play video games. I'm certain you were a kid and your parents didn't get you exactly what you wanted but you enjoyed it anyways. I know I have. I'm sure all of us have.

Sometimes we may have preferred the item our parents purchased for us rather than the one we wanted. If it was up to me as a kid I would have purchased an N64 when it came out, but my dad bought me a PSX at launch(prior to the release of the N64.) At first I was disappointed because as of that time all my favorite series was on the NES, one of which Final Fantasy, got me addicted to RPGs. This was the launch of the PSX and I didn't know my favorite games were going to get sequels on another console. Disappointed as I may have been, I enjoyed a lot of the offerings on the PSX. Later when the N64 released, my friends got it so I played theirs. While I did like some of the games my friends had over time, I was glad that my dad purchased a PSX instead. To this day it's my favorite console.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-25-2013 at 12:56 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Thank you Aussie. Beat me to my own thoughts. I definitely don't think Sony is in danger of going the way of Sega. While I agree I think the initial launch price was high, they learned the errors of their way and lowered it. It took me a while to get one, but in the last year and a half or so I've been playing my PS3 way more than my 360. If anything I now wish I would have gotten a PS3 when I originally chose to go with Microsoft. Nothing against the Xbox, but when you compare franchises to franchises, I prefer God of War, Uncharted, Little Big Planet and Infamous to Gears of War(which I love by the way), Halo, Forza and etc. Just my thought, everyone makes their own choices and sets their own priorities in the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Will they eat it, nah...not yet at least. Sony as bad off as many areas of the company are currently are doing fine under the playstation brand. Their overpriced lunacy when PS3 came out hurt them, permanently as far as position goes with the system in sales appearance, but overall they're one of the highest selling pieces of system hardware out there and still rising. Sony unlike MS has many notable franchises they make or their directly owned subsidiaries so they have that backing too which is a strength much like how Nintendo has their huge farm of titles they can live off of on their very own. To kill the console brand they'd need to bleed so much money not just from other divisions, but also enough under the playstation brand too that it would be impossible to continue functioning. Even at that rate they'd probably split the company and kill various sections of the company that are bleeding them dry to salvage what is left. I just can't see them folding up.

You know where Sony is right now in appearances? They're on their 3rd generation of hardware and they're being slapped with the mythical ghost of death someone else did in their third generation attempt -- Nintendo. Is Nintendo dead? Nope. Were they embarassed by Sony with the N64 in sales just as Nintendo Wii makes them look silly in numbers this time around? Yup. Nintendo is still here, and Sony will continue too. They both have unique games and franchises they alone create and recreate which keep the loyal around. Sony probably will need to attempt a new direction and reorganization like Nintendo had to in order to be better off eventually, but as to when they'll get that reality check who knows. Perhaps some of it is the fact they're not claiming they won't lock down used games on the hardware when they were up for it? Maybe because they're looking at a $400 vs a $500-600 system this time around using more common computer like parts could be a tell too. Nintendo went with the Cube and didn't lower prices nor change direction and were dead last and got that reality check in generation 4. Sony though in generation 4 maybe beating that curve...they're in a way pulling a GC and a Wii this time using more computer like parts for the hardware being a bit more modest(though the system is big regardless) and they're also not going high ball on system price too which the Wii sure as hell didn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kids don't need the latest games and systems to have fun. Get them a Dreamcast and some games and you're set. Get an older Nintendo handheld like the DS, Gameboy Advance and some cheap games and you're good. Get a SNES, some cheap games and some old CRT tv and you're good to go. Buying games for your kid doesn't have to be expensive and someone that's under 10 probably won't much care if you bring them up on retro gaming. I have a nephew that I bought a Dreamcast for him for like $20 years ago and gave him some cheap games and he was happy with them. He also liked coming over and playing my older systems too.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I didn't say "will." I said can. It's a video game console and regardless what one she owns, she'll still be able to play video games. I'm certain you were a kid and your parents didn't get you exactly what you wanted but you enjoyed it anyways. I know I have. I'm sure all of us have.

Sometimes we may have preferred the item our parents purchased for us rather than the one we wanted. If it was up to me as a kid I would have purchased an N64 when it came out, but my dad bought me a PSX at launch(prior to the release of the N64.) At first I was disappointed because as of that time all my favorite series was on the NES, one of which Final Fantasy, got me addicted to RPGs. This was the launch of the PSX and I didn't know my favorite games were going to get sequels on another console. Disappointed as I may have been, I enjoyed a lot of the offerings on the PSX. Later when the N64 released, my friends got it so I played theirs. While I did like some of the games my friends had over time, I was glad that my dad purchased a PSX instead. To this day it's my favorite console.
    You must have had terrible parents if they refused to accept your input into what console you wanted as a child. That explains a lot about how you operate here and why you're such a fanatical Sony fanboy. When I was a kid, if I wanted something, I took the time to do the research and presented it to my parents and they made an informed decision. My parents never forced something on me that I had a rational reason not to want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hang on, let me check my crystal ball.. oh.. shit.. I lent it to those city traders and didn't get it back.

I think that it is fair to say that the answer is "not any time soon". After that I think we're in to the realm of wild speculation. Remember when there wasn't room for the xbox in the market place? When Sony came from nowhere and (comparatively) left Sega and Nintendo scratching their heads? (and so on and so forth).

I am still waiting for the Jaguar to get a second wind and dominate the market place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm someone that bought a PS1 and PS2, but has never bought a PS3. At first, the problem was price. I couldn't justify the cost at launch. Then, as time went on, I couldn't justify the still-high cost. Now we're into year seven, and new ones STILL sell for almost $300. I can't justify that for a six year old end-of-life console. When I bought my original Playstation in 1999, I paid $100. And I didn't mind the launch price of the PS2. I didn't even mind the $400 price point of the Xbox 360 and the $350 Wii U. But I will not pay $300 for an end of life system. And I wasn't willing to pay in upwards of $500-600 for a new one. I'm not sure what the reasoning is for other people not buying them. But that's mine. And you're right, from sales figures it seems the PS1 and PS2 both did considerably better.
    Same here. Plus the fact that I really don't feel that there are enough exclusives on any console to justify buying more than one unless you have money to burn and I already own a 360

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You must have had terrible parents if they refused to accept your input into what console you wanted as a child. That explains a lot about how you operate here and why you're such a fanatical Sony fanboy. When I was a kid, if I wanted something, I took the time to do the research and presented it to my parents and they made an informed decision. My parents never forced something on me that I had a rational reason not to want.
    Yeah, really. What kind of asshole buys his kid a brand new state of the art game console instead of getting him the one that isn't available yet. It's practically child abuse.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    Kids don't need the latest games and systems to have fun. Get them a Dreamcast and some games and you're set. Get an older Nintendo handheld like the DS, Gameboy Advance and some cheap games and you're good. Get a SNES, some cheap games and some old CRT tv and you're good to go. Buying games for your kid doesn't have to be expensive and someone that's under 10 probably won't much care if you bring them up on retro gaming. I have a nephew that I bought a Dreamcast for him for like $20 years ago and gave him some cheap games and he was happy with them. He also liked coming over and playing my older systems too.
    I actually experimented with that a bit yesterday. My daughter came home from a sleepover and told me that she had played Mario Kart on their Wii. I never got around to buying the Wii version, but I proceeded to pull out my SNES and Mario Kart. The results were hilarious. I was trying so hard not to laugh. She's grown too used to motion controls on the Wii. She kept trying to turn the SNES controller to turn the kart. She did eventually start to get the hang of it and managed to make five laps in a time trial. She didn't really want to play beyond that. I do think your assessment is somewhat correct. Most kids under 10, if not exposed to newer technology, wouldn't care. But if they're regularly going to someone else's house, and they have newer stuff, they're going to end up tainted - especially if their first exposure to games is that newer stuff. My flaw was probably in not bringing out the SNES earlier than I did - by the time I did so, she had already played the Wii and 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually experimented with that a bit yesterday. My daughter came home from a sleepover and told me that she had played Mario Kart on their Wii. I never got around to buying the Wii version, but I proceeded to pull out my SNES and Mario Kart. The results were hilarious. I was trying so hard not to laugh. She's grown too used to motion controls on the Wii. She kept trying to turn the SNES controller to turn the kart. She did eventually start to get the hang of it and managed to make five laps in a time trial. She didn't really want to play beyond that. I do think your assessment is somewhat correct. Most kids under 10, if not exposed to newer technology, wouldn't care. But if they're regularly going to someone else's house, and they have newer stuff, they're going to end up tainted - especially if their first exposure to games is that newer stuff. My flaw was probably in not bringing out the SNES earlier than I did - by the time I did so, she had already played the Wii and 360.
    If you let her play the Gamecube I'm sure she would still like it. Graphics look good and the system is dirt cheap. She may not have liked Super Mario Kart because it seems so simple to what she's used to and that game doesn't look all that great.
    Last edited by GhostDog; 02-25-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Yeah, really. What kind of asshole buys his kid a brand new state of the art game console instead of getting him the one that isn't available yet. It's practically child abuse.
    I just don't think kids are stupid. At least I wasn't as a child and neither are my kids or most kids I have met. I read lots of computer and gaming magazines as a kid and I would really evaluate new consoles or computers and games and not simply pick the first thing that showed up in the store. Did my parents always buy me exactly what I wanted? Of course not. But, they also didn't buy me anything I specifically told them I didn't want either.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But, they also didn't buy me anything I specifically told them I didn't want either.
    I would hope not. Allegations of child abuse aside, that's just wasted money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I asked for Star Wars action figures when I was a kid. What I got was some stupid NASA space ship with an astronaut.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    I asked for Star Wars action figures when I was a kid. What I got was some stupid NASA space ship with an astronaut.
    Did you call CPS?