Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When Will Sony Cease Being a Hardware Manufacturer?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I just don't think kids are stupid. At least I wasn't as a child and neither are my kids or most kids I have met. I read lots of computer and gaming magazines as a kid and I would really evaluate new consoles or computers and games and not simply pick the first thing that showed up in the store. Did my parents always buy me exactly what I wanted? Of course not. But, they also didn't buy me anything I specifically told them I didn't want either.
    I didn't say I didn't want the PSX, just that I wanted an N64. My parents really didn't know anything about video games and my dad purchased it because it's a new video game console. To him a game's a game. The main point though is the system I didn't ask for happened to be my favorite console.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    Did you call CPS?
    It was the 70's. You could beat your kid silly and nobody would care.

I could see it now....

Operator:CPS what is reason for you call?

child: My parents didn't give me the gift I wanted.

Operator: Suck it up kid. Be glad you got a gift! Click...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

According to Cliff Bleszinski Nintendo may be the company that goes software only. He doesn't seem to have a very optimistic view of the industry ATM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    It was the 70's. You could beat your kid silly and nobody would care.

I could see it now....

Operator:CPS what is reason for you call?

child: My parents didn't give me the gift I wanted.

Operator: Suck it up kid. Be glad you got a gift! Click...
    That reminds me of this case.

http://www.1011now.com/news/offbeat/...193023611.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    Later that night the kid got beat by his parents and never even thought to call 911. Anyway, Nintendo going third party would be awesome. They seem to be against creating powerful hardware so just have another company create it and just be a third party developer. If SEGA could do it Nintendo could as well! I want Mario on my PS4 or PS5!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I didn't say I didn't want the PSX, just that I wanted an N64. My parents really didn't know anything about video games and my dad purchased it because it's a new video game console. To him a game's a game. The main point though is the system I didn't ask for happened to be my favorite console.
    No, your main point is that anyone who doesn't agree with you that Playstation is the best possible platform for all gamers always is wrong. Now we at least have some insight into your terrible childhood so we can understand just why you are so unreasonable and why you have no ability to see different perspectives. I'm guessing you work in a job that requires no intelligent thought or judgment if in fact you work at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

No, your main point is that anyone who doesn't agree with you that Playstation is the best possible platform for all gamers always is wrong. Now we at least have some insight into your terrible childhood so we can understand just why you are so unreasonable and why you have no ability to see different perspectives. I'm guessing you work in a job that requires no intelligent thought or judgment if in fact you work at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

No, your main point is that anyone who doesn't agree with you that Playstation is the best possible platform for all gamers always is wrong.
    You may be on to something, if not for the fact that you're wrong. Every post I make about any game or system is my opinion. I've made several comments about issues I didn't like with the PSP, Vita, and PS3. You certainly like to gloss over those comments don't you? I've bashed the PSP for its ridiculously high failure rate, PS3's wireless, the new Playstation Store, several first party games and series, etc. I've made mention many times that if it wasn't for my dislike of digital content, I'd game exclusively on PC. Too many games on both the PS3 and 360 run like shit in comparison to their PC counterparts. I like my DS enough to have around 100 games for it, more than I have for my PS3 or PSP. If Playstation was the best possible platform, I wouldn't own a competitors console. I'd have no need.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

This is an interesting topic, but realistically, there's no way to know when Sony will cease hardware production. Maybe the PS4 will be the platform to beat this generation. Maybe, after a price drop and integration into the PS4 platform, the Vita takes off and blows the 3DS out of the water worldwide. I mean, I doubt either of those things will happen, but If you'd told me in 2005 that the 360 was going to dominate so hard this generation, after the insane success of the PS2 and relative failure of the OG XBox, I'd have called you crazy. Who knows?

Moral: we don't know shit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Did you call CPS?
    Time traveling CPS while we're at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I doubt it, but maybe Gamevet was speaking about Star Wars Episode 1. In that case, most Star Wars fans would say his father did the right thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

In my opinion, for a company as large as Sony, it would take at least two console failures in a row for them to stop producing hardware. They haven't had one yet, so I think thew PS4 would have to fail along with the PS5. So it's gonna be a while, and I don't think the PS4 will fail at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    In my opinion, for a company as large as Sony, it would take at least two console failures in a row for them to stop producing hardware. They haven't had one yet, so I think thew PS4 would have to fail along with the PS5. So it's gonna be a while, and I don't think the PS4 will fail at all.
    Sony *might* have a failure on its hands with the Vita. 4.2 million sold in 14 months. At that rate, they'll be lucky to sell 20 million by the end of 2018. Can Sony turn it around? Only time will tell.

(By comparison, there have been 30 million 3DS's sold since it launched 24 months ago.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I doubt it, but maybe Gamevet was speaking about Star Wars Episode 1. In that case, most Star Wars fans would say his father did the right thing.
    It was in the 70's and it wasn't called Episode IV back then either; It was just called Star Wars.

I'd guess that it was pretty hard to get Star Wars action figures in 77/78. I'd heard that the action figures were being advertised in catalogs, but weren't available. Considering that my mom would have had to order them through the Sears Catalog, I ended up with the alternative.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 02-26-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Kids don't need the latest games and systems to have fun. Get them a Dreamcast and some games and you're set.
    You then run into social problems with having fun or at least you would have when I was a kid. Playing a 10+ year old system instead of the latest toy was a good way to get laughed at. I have friends that don't play games now but did when they we were kids, simple because while the rest of us were playing Star Fox on our new fangled SNES, they were playing Adventure on grandpa 2600. Probably not as big of a problem today, what with everyone all up on the retro thing and the common place act of piracy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was a kid, kids who laughed at me got punched in the mouth.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    When I was a kid, kids who laughed at me got punched in the mouth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    It was in the 70's and it wasn't called Episode IV back then either; It was just called Star Wars.
    I know what you were talking about. I was making a joke how since most Star Wars fans hate the new episodes, that if you were speaking of it then they'd agree that your dad did the right thing by getting you NASA figure instead a Star Wars Episode 1 figure. Some Star Wars fans atleast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I know what you were talking about. I was making a joke how since most Star Wars fans hate the new episodes, that if you were speaking of it then they'd agree that your dad did the right thing by getting you NASA figure instead a Star Wars Episode 1 figure. Some Star Wars fans atleast.
    You know what's sad? My wife bought me an Episode 1 action figure, that came with a stand. The stand had voice comments for every action figure you placed on it. I threw it in a bin somewhere. Maybe it'll be worth $3 some day.