Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When Will Sony Cease Being a Hardware Manufacturer?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    You know what's sad? My wife bought me an Episode 1 action figure.......I threw it in a bin somewhere.
    It is pretty sad that you're that rude to your wife. :/

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    You then run into social problems with having fun or at least you would have when I was a kid. Playing a 10+ year old system instead of the latest toy was a good way to get laughed at.
    Things could be worse.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

The PS9 will probably happen.

PS1 - 1995
    PS2 - 2000
    PS3 - 2006
    PS4 - 2013

Nintendo's been going since 1985, that's 6 generations (NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U), and they've never had a (non-portable) console sell as well as the PS1 or PS2... (I know, I don't like it either). I'd give Sony 30 more years (for 48 total). That, at six years per generation, should lead to the PS9. It won't be 2078 though, more like the 2040s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89gqKJ1AtWA
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

It is pretty sad that you're that rude to your wife. :/

I hope you were joking.

I didn't tell her I threw it in a bin, I actually thought it was pretty cool that she bought me Star Wars stuff. The best Star Wars gift was the framed SW trilogy print she had done at Michaels; it sits proudly on display in my man cave.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 02-27-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I hope you were joking.
    Hell, I hope you were joking. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Hell, I hope you were joking. :/

We lived in an apartment At the time; it's not like I wanted to have some nerd shrine in the living room with Star Wars figures. Even when I was single I didn't do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    This thread is a perfect example of why gamers are the worst enemy of the games industry.

If we have not always been, we have become in this modern gaming era the most un-fucking-satisfiable, entitled, unreasonable, hypocritical group of consumers that I've ever witnessed in action.

We demand among so many other things - annualized innovations, substantial leaps in technology, all of our personal favorite software installments, etc while simultaneously deriding almost every decision that every company makes to try to meet those demands - and in extreme cases we rally our numbers to punish companies who can't cater to the radical minutia and outlier desires of the wants and needs of our community.

Sometimes I worry that it's going to be the gamers that kill this industry acting purely in waves of spite.

And don't get me wrong, I'm an advocate of fair market practices and championing companies that go out of their way to provide consumers with great products and services ... but, seriously, the transparency that exists now, what Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony and even the new kids on the block, Steam, Apple and Google have created, are maintaining and working to build for the future is FAR REMOVED from past eras where everything was blind guesswork on the part of the consumer.

We are collectively, simultaneously so fortunate and so jaded.

I would hate to be an industry exec right now ... I get the sense that they know that the default reaction to pretty much everything is hard-stop negativity fostered by an internet culture where "angry = cool".

It sucks so much. I hope that the industry rolls on in spite of all of this.
    And not only is all of this true, gamers then demand better looking, longer playing games, and then balk when developers want to charge more (even though games are at their lowest price, inflation-adjusted, in pretty much ever). On top of that, a large chunk of the gaming community just pirates the latest releases anyway, or buy games used to save $5 while perfectly good new copies sit right next to the used ones on the shelf, and then still have the audacity to bitch about them. It's a lose-lose situation all around.

As for when Sony will cease to make Playstation hardware, I'm reluctant to say 'never', but I'm guessing that the answer is probably 'never'; at least as long as game consoles remain viable. Nintendo is more likely to get out of the hardware business than Sony; if it wasn't for Pokemon selling handheld systems, Nintendo would have probably seen a net benefit by getting out of the console business before releasing the Wii U (and possibly the Wii). Their key properties, especially Mario and Zelda, would print money no matter what platform they're released on, and cross-platform releases would get them marketshare without having to worry about the costs of continually developing new hardware.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

We lived in an apartment At the time; it's not like I wanted to have some nerd shrine in the living room with Star Wars figures. Even when I was single I didn't do that.
    Gah, a self hating nerd.
    I type that as I gaze over at the newly re-erected WoW shelf my partner and I spent way longer than was necessary working on.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When will they cease being a hardware manufacturer? When gaming dies. Even after dedicated video game consoles die, Sony will still be producing smartphones and smart TVs that people can play casual titles on.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't count on it.
    They're getting absolutely destroyed in both of those markets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Gah, a self hating nerd.
    I type that as I gaze over at the newly re-erected WoW shelf my partner and I spent way longer than was necessary working on.
    Oh no! I have a man-cave now. When we bought our house in 2004, my wife let me choose a room for my office (cough: man-cave). It has 4 bookshelves full of gaming related stuff and 2 Star Wars framed pictures on the walls.

Back in my single days, I hung around with some serious partiers. I kept my gaming stuff hid, so it wouldn't disappear. That worked out fine until I met my wife, because she liked to call for maintenance people all of the time. I ended up losing (glad they didn't touch my Saturn stuff) my Dreamcast, Playstation and N64 systems and games. When you live in an apartment, it's not a good idea to have them scoping out your place when you're not home. Having stuff on display isn't always a good idea.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 02-27-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It pays to be competent and maintain your own place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    It pays to be competent and maintain your own place.
    Yeah. I kept telling her that it would be best if I took care of it instead. It just so happened that I was out of town when we got robbed. It was pretty obvious that they knew exactly (it was all out of site) what they were there to steal. They didn't take any of her jewelry or the $1500 worth of stereo equipment. They stole just the videogames. The apartment next door was being cleaned up for the next tennant, so it was pretty obvious who did it.

Luckily we had insurance, so I padded the list to make sure I got the money it would take to replace it all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome. It's a shame the cops don't actually care about burglaries, but at least insurance will save your ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh no! I have a man-cave now. When we bought our house in 2004, my wife let me choose a room for my office (cough: man-cave). It has 4 bookshelves full of gaming related stuff and 2 Star Wars framed pictures on the walls.

Back in my single days, I hung around with some serious partiers. I kept my gaming stuff hid, so it wouldn't disappear. That worked out fine until I met my wife, because she liked to call for maintenance people all of the time. I ended up losing (glad they didn't touch my Saturn stuff) my Dreamcast, Playstation and N64 systems and games. When you live in an apartment, it's not a good idea to have them scoping out your place when you're not home. Having stuff on display isn't always a good idea.
    Well, it's only fair that your wife let you choose a room in your own house. I mean...after all, you did let her out of the kitchen.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    Anyway, Nintendo going third party would be awesome. They seem to be against creating powerful hardware so just have another company create it and just be a third party developer. If SEGA could do it Nintendo could as well! I want Mario on my PS4 or PS5!
    Nintendo isn't against creating powerful hardware. They're simply smart enough to try a different strategy when things aren't working. The N64 was a more powerful 3D machine than both the Saturn and PlayStation, and the GameCube was more powerful than the PS2. Yet despite that, they were in a far second place (or third place? Not sure if the Xbox or GameCube came after the PS2). Why invest that money into making a more expensive machine that's more powerful than the competition when the PS2 proved that you can be the weakest and still dominate? Since specs alone weren't working for them, Nintendo decided to go in a different direction, willfully choosing to produce the weakest system of the generation, looking for a different selling point, and, go figure, it worked out wonderfully for them with the Wii. Really, when you look at gaming history, the weaker systems are often the most successful. Cheaper price points, likely cheaper to develop for, they have a lot in their favor. Even before the Wii, Nintendo had experience pitching hardware far weaker than the competition with the Game Boy, and they crushed the competition with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Nintendo isn't against creating powerful hardware. They're simply smart enough to try a different strategy when things aren't working. The N64 was a more powerful 3D machine than both the Saturn and PlayStation, and the GameCube was more powerful than the PS2. Yet despite that, they were in a far second place (or third place? Not sure if the Xbox or GameCube came after the PS2). Why invest that money into making a more expensive machine that's more powerful than the competition when the PS2 proved that you can be the weakest and still dominate? Since specs alone weren't working for them, Nintendo decided to go in a different direction, willfully choosing to produce the weakest system of the generation, looking for a different selling point, and, go figure, it worked out wonderfully for them with the Wii. Really, when you look at gaming history, the weaker systems are often the most successful. Cheaper price points, likely cheaper to develop for, they have a lot in their favor. Even before the Wii, Nintendo had experience pitching hardware far weaker than the competition with the Game Boy, and they crushed the competition with it.
    The thing I have against Nintendo is that their hardware is substantially less powerful than the competition. I've never owned a Wii but from what I saw in videos the graphics didn't seem much better than Gamecube's and the Wii U's graphics are on par or slightly above the PS3's and XBox 360's. I know it's still early in the Wii U's life but there's no doubt that the new XBox and PS4 is going to blow it out of the water in terms of graphics and will probably sell more units. Nintendo is way behind and eventually people will want powerful graphics from them. They tried the Wii and it provided something different but now the Wii U is struggling with its strange overpriced controller that's driving up the price of the system. Nintendo needs to get with the program and not think that people always want a gimmicky controller. They tried it with the Wii and it was a success but with the sales of the Wii U it's obvious that people are over that.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Yet despite that, they were in a far second place (or third place? Not sure if the Xbox or GameCube came after the PS2).
    Xbox, then Gamecube. Three days apart, if I recall correctly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    Xbox, then Gamecube. Three days apart, if I recall correctly.
    She wasn't referencing which of those systems came out first but rather which one finished in second place and which one finished in third place during the last gen. The Xbox slightly outsold the Gamecube overall by a few million systems last gen.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    She wasn't referencing which of those systems came out first but rather which one finished in second place and which one finished in third place during the last gen. The Xbox slightly outsold the Gamecube overall by a few million systems last gen.
    Then that would be Xbox, followed closely by Gamecube.

24 million vs. 21.75ish million.