Thread: How long will psn support ps3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How long will psn support ps3?

So ps4 was announced. How much life can the ps3 have? Will Sony continue there online support?

My worry is you by a game and can't update it. Or online multiplayer of ps3 favorites will vanish.

Should you buy psn store games while the getting is good?
    Last edited by hellraiser; 02-25-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I have no idea how long they'll support it, but there will probably be some direct correlation to it's level of profitability vs. cost to maintain.

The good news is that a majority of PSN content does not require persistent connection, and a majority of it can be backed up to external devices. So, get while the gettin is good and back up whatever you want to ensure that you have access to in the future.

Also, much like every other system in this generation and generations past, hackers who have cracked earlier versions of PS3 hardware and firmware have been cataloging all of this stuff, so, when the official tubes go offline, there will likely still be "solutions" to get and play what you want.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm more concerned with with PSN+ users, such as myself. My subscription is set to end in the middle of January 2014, a month or two after the PS4 is supposedly going to be released. Will my subscription be rolled over? Will it only count for PS3 connected accounts? Will I be told to get the new system if I want to continue using my PSN+ content?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Some claim otherwise, but my money is on the PS3 and 360 getting many third party projects for the first couple of year's. Then you figure that the PS3 has several year's left afterwards as a budget console when big title's stop appearing with reprinting's, budget and kid's releases, annual sport's updates, odd's and end's like maybe a classic compilation or two and Japanese shooter's, etc. So we're looking at a good chunk of time before there's any chance it will be threatened.

Microsoft kept their network compatible with the original Xbox until two or three year's ago and that was at an early stage of online integration with console's, a relatively small install base (And even smaller where Xbox Live subscriber's were concerned), and with Xbox Live not being nearly as important overall for it as PSN and Xbox Live are today for the 360 and PS3. So you figure when the PS3's commercial life concludes that they're going to at least beat Microsoft's record.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-27-2014 at 05:36 AM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I'm more concerned with with PSN+ users, such as myself. My subscription is set to end in the middle of January 2014, a month or two after the PS4 is supposedly going to be released. Will my subscription be rolled over? Will it only count for PS3 connected accounts? Will I be told to get the new system if I want to continue using my PSN+ content?
    I believe that PLUS is a very popular program, I can't see them scrapping it on the PS4 unless they make an even better content program that they roll PLUS users into.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"