Thread: If you've considered modding your Atari 2600/7800 for composite video, NOW is the time!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Default If you've considered modding your Atari 2600/7800 for composite video, NOW is the time!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic...february-2013/

If anyone was considering getting their Atari 2600 or 7800 modded for composite video (and audio), NOW is the time! AtariAger Yurkie, who does these systems and the Colecovision, is going to cease modding of them due to lack of demand. I think Best Electronics may still mod them, but otherwise no one is really doing so in a frequent way. I've seen mods for 7800 to S-Video as well, although I doubt the video will be all that different. Yurkie's mods also are very inconspicuous and normally doesn't have to cut extra holes in the cases. Looks like it was always meant to be that way.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic...february-2013/

If anyone was considering getting their Atari 2600 or 7800 modded for composite video (and audio), NOW is the time! AtariAger Yurkie, who does these systems and the Colecovision, is going to cease modding of them due to lack of demand. I think Best Electronics may still mod them, but otherwise no one is really doing so in a frequent way. I've seen mods for 7800 to S-Video as well, although I doubt the video will be all that different. Yurkie's mods also are very inconspicuous and normally doesn't have to cut extra holes in the cases. Looks like it was always meant to be that way.
    Is he the only the person that does 2600&7800 mods ? I'm just asking i thought about maybe getting a 2600 or a 7800 later on.Still after reading the thread he ofter the service until march 8th and that's it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mod 2600s as well and I only charge $53 for it compared to $69. I use standard RCA jacks though as opposed to a TRRS jack.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I bought a Vader 2600 that has a composite mod from ebay a while ago. It works perfectly with one exception - it will NOT play Yar's Revenge.

Does anyone know why?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've done a couple of these for friends. One was a composite mod, the other was s-video. It's the easiest video mod I'm aware of, and the results are fantastic.
    I'm stumped as to how it would break compatibility with Yar's Revenge, though.
    It may just be a coincidence.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    I mod 2600s as well and I only charge $53 for it compared to $69. I use standard RCA jacks though as opposed to a TRRS jack.
    I do prefer his TRRS jack method, looks more natural I feel. I probably wouldn't have bothered modding any of them but the 2600 because the CV and 7800 still look fine on my CRT TV via RF. The 2600 looks terrible though, and they all look horrendous on HDTV. However, I think I have to send him my CV anyway because it's been glitching bad lately.

Also Best Electronics mods 7800's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I bought a Vader 2600 that has a composite mod from ebay a while ago. It works perfectly with one exception - it will NOT play Yar's Revenge.

Does anyone know why?
    An old practical joke by Howard Scott Warshaw? Sure that cartridge is working at all?
    Last edited by Greg2600; 02-28-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK