Thread: What will come first? All digital consoles or flying cars?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default What will come first? All digital consoles or flying cars?

Although with the Steambox coming, all digital consoles will be the first. Discuss if you want.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-01-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Although with the Steambox coming, all digital consoles will be the first. Discuss if you want.
    I have trouble considering the Steambox a console. Then again, perhaps that's because I don't use Steam.

It's basically a tiny PC hooked up to a TV. My own PC is currently hooked up to my TV, and I could theoretically play those games on my TV instead of my monitor. It doesn't make my PC a console.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    I have trouble considering the Steambox a console. Then again, perhaps that's because I don't use Steam.

It's basically a tiny PC hooked up to a TV. My own PC is currently hooked up to my TV, and I could theoretically play those games on my TV instead of my monitor. It doesn't make my PC a console.
    I would argue that if your PC is connected to your TV and it can play games, it is a console. The name "console" is just taken from a stand-alone piece of furniture or case where a record player or other audio component was housed in the old days.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I know you're just being sarcastic about the latter, but those will probably never come. Air travel is so much safer than car travel is because pilots have to train to get licenses that are given out very strictly, they're monitored constantly for drug/alcohol use, and the job involves handling radio communications and all sorts of calculations that most people wouldn't want to do every time they drive. A fully autonomous car where you input destination and it's controlled by some external system is more likely.

Anyway, I've said it before and I'll say it again. ISPs are already pissed enough that half of the bandwidth in the USA is taken up by one company (Netflix) and that net neutrality says they can't charge differing rates. They would butt heads with the games industry constantly and use all the power that they have to prevent any more strain on their systems if major companies decided to go digital-only.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I know you're just being sarcastic about the latter, but those will probably never come. Air travel is so much safer than car travel is because pilots have to train to get licenses that are given out very strictly, they're monitored constantly for drug/alcohol use, and the job involves handling radio communications and all sorts of calculations that most people wouldn't want to do every time they drive. A fully autonomous car where you input destination and it's controlled by some external system is more likely.
    Flying cars have already been invented, they just haven't been manufactured for consumers. To actually use it in America a person would have needed around 8 separate licences to operate it, you can see why it wasn't put into production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h38UeDb7xw8

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Flying cars have already been invented, they just haven't been manufactured for consumers. To actually use it in America a person would have needed around 8 separate licences to operate it, you can see why it wasn't put into production.

Yes, the licenses are a major part. It also would be much, much, much harder to ensure that there was no drunk "driving." Plus the crashes would be way worse and the driving test would take years.

Can't imagine the FAA would be too happy about all of these amateur pilots trying to fly planes like you drive a car, either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Flying cars are never going to happen in our lifetime, if at all. Theres just too many potential problems with that happening. As for consoles, eventually one of the big three will force it on us the same way Sony forced the PSP GO on consumers. Of course that failed miserably so maybe they won't be so quick to launch a digital-only console. But I still think we will see one within the next 20 years.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

My vote goes for flying cars coming before fully digital home consoles

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Um.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnLive

/Thread

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post

Okay, a serious reply. Gaming consoles are basically computers. They have standardized hardware and all can run same software with little differences. So you might think of Steambox as a computer hooked up to a TV, while I think your 360 is a crippled computer that's incapable of doing simple tasks like watching movies in any format I want. ;P
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 03-04-2013 at 12:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post

That thing is junk. Now THIS is a flying car! Way more practical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SgHSaNtAMjs

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To answer the question Digital Consoles by far.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Both have been invented and have come out. Irrelevant conversation.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'll say this. I will own a flying car before I own a digital download only console. Probably never vs absolutely never.

Regarding the flying car, I have to assume than any mass market flying car would, due to complexity and safety issues, have to have some sort of advanced computer systems that would do most of the actual flying. With (land) cars that drive themselves coming closer to reality, it's probably only a matter of time before someone combines that with the existing but too complex for the layman flying car designs.

Of course, they'll probably use so much gas that no one will want them anyway, since gas will probably be $10 a gallon by then.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Of course, they'll probably use so much gas that no one will want them anyway, since gas will probably be $10 a gallon by then.
    Of course by then we won't be using traditional gas by then. The Tesla Model S is one very promising car that is all electric and may become more affordable in time.