Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper way to hook systems up

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Proper way to hook systems up

I'm hooking up my current system (PS2) and others to my switch box on my new hdtv (I know, older stuff won't look good, etc). So far nothing except the PS2 works. I have a composite to the switch box, and going from there (comp for PS2, standard av or s-video for n64, etc). Do I have it reversed where I should go rca av to the switch box then comp, etc out of the box?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post
    I'm hooking up my current system (PS2) and others to my switch box on my new hdtv (I know, older stuff won't look good, etc). So far nothing except the PS2 works. I have a composite to the switch box, and going from there (comp for PS2, standard av or s-video for n64, etc). Do I have it reversed where I should go rca av to the switch box then comp, etc out of the box?
    I'm not following exactly what you're explaining, but inexpensive style "switch boxes" do not convert signals.

If you run composite in, you need to run composite out.

You can't plug your PS2's RCA (composite) cables into the switch box and then run S-Video or Component lines out of the box into the TV.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I'm not following exactly what you're explaining, but inexpensive style "switch boxes" do not convert signals.

If you run composite in, you need to run composite out.

You can't plug your PS2's RCA (composite) cables into the switch box and then run S-Video or Component lines out of the box into the TV.
    So since I'm running composite (rgb) into the box I can only run composite out, not standard rca av (red/white/yellow) then? Can I go the reverse?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

So since I'm running composite (rgb) into the box I can only run composite out, not standard rca av (red/white/yellow) then? Can I go the reverse?
    You have it backwards. The cables with the RGB ends are component and the RWY are composite. So, you have systems using both component and composite going into the same switch?
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Composite, s-video, and component are different things. You need a separate switch box for each type. Trying to mix isn't likely to work.

Since HDTVs are more sensitive to source video quality, it's recommended to plan ahead toward using the cleanest possible (preferably component, or SCART with further equipment).
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Ok, looks like I did have it mixed up then. Gonna re-experiment once my other set of rca av cables come in. I had it component from the tv to the switch box (PS2 as component), and everything else would have been composite. (Geez I even mixed the names up, I suck today. lol)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Ok, looks like I did have it mixed up then. Gonna re-experiment once my other set of rca av cables come in. I had it component from the tv to the switch box (PS2 as component), and everything else would have been composite. (Geez I even mixed the names up, I suck today. lol)
    Well, there's your problem. Most likely, you need a composite output from the switch to the T.V. as the composite won't carry over the component. I had this same problem with my receiver. I would agree with The Claw.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Ok, maybe I goofed up again? Ran rca av from the TV (in the usual red, white and green/yellow) jacks to the switch box. Have PS2 component in and nothing's happening, no sound or video. Same if I try hooking my n64 up (regular rca jacks w/ s-video).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Hmmm, and I know I'm doing the RCA jacks right too; red, white and green as yellow...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmmm, and I know I'm doing the RCA jacks right too; red, white and green as yellow...
    Uh, no, because green isn't yellow.

The green plug on component video (YPbPr) carries the Y (luma and sync) channel; on composite video, the yellow jack carries the entire picture.

For component to HDMI, you might want to take a look at this video. Keep in mind that you're hoping the systems outputting component will be outputting a signal the TV likes for it to work. (Although keep in mind that the receivers he mentions are probably laggy and not a great value.)

I know you didn't want to hear it, but the XRGB-mini does have the ability to pass through (and upscale) composite and S-video, right from the front panel. What comes out the back will be a nice HDMI signal for your TV to use.

In some cases you can use something like a SCART to component video converter ("specialty-av" sells a box on eBay) but keep in mind that this is just transcoding one analog signal to another analog signal type, and won't do anything to make the component signal HDTV-compliant. The display itself, if it has component inputs, might be able to upscale / deal with it, though. At the price I'd rather just keep the money to save up for an upscaler which will be universally useful, though.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 06-15-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Um I meant because I've been reading the green can substitute for yellow. My tv has the 5 for component and a sixth (orange).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Right you are. It depends on the TV - if the TV doesn't support a combined composite / component input on those jacks, then it won't work. But if the TV only has one set of inputs, coded for component, I'd assume that it supports composite through the component inputs.

Did you try cycling through all the available inputs?

I also need to ask, since it's not clear to me, which system is having this trouble. PS2 and PS3 should be connected to this television with a component cable, and I just picked up a new one for $13. They can be had for about that price on Amazon. PS2 component might not show up correctly from the word go because of the console's setting - you can select between RGB and YPbPr, and when using component the console should be set to YPbPr. Of course, if it's set to RGB and you've plugged the system in with component cables, you won't be able to see the menu to change the setting, so an S-Video or composite cable should be used to set that up.

Anyway, I hate switch boxes. I just plug each cable straight into the TV - though I might consider a switch box if I changed between systems very often.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 06-15-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, maybe I goofed up again? Ran rca av from the TV (in the usual red, white and green/yellow) jacks to the switch box. Have PS2 component in and nothing's happening, no sound or video. Same if I try hooking my n64 up (regular rca jacks w/ s-video).
    As stated before, you can't run two types of input through the same box (well, some can, but let's not go there until you've figured this issue out). Pick composite or component and hook EVERYTHING up with that type of input (which will likely be composite since component isn't an option right out of the box for the other systems you're trying to hook up).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

So what boxes can I run 2 different types out of? What I have for my systems 9which would likely be 2 sometimes 3 up at once):
    PS2 component
    SNES, N64, Dreamcast: rca w/ s-video
    NES, CDX: basic rca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

SNES, N64, Dreamcast: rca w/ s-video
    Just to confirm something in case it's news: S-Video should be plugged in using only the red and white audio channel cables, and the S-Video plug. The yellow plug shouldn't (or at the very least needn't be) plugged in.

I wonder if it wouldn't make sense for you just to get two switch boxes - one with S-Video and another with component. (I assume the S-Video capable switcher would also accept composite...you'd know if it has the yellow composite video plug, seems reasonable to expect)

Also, I have heard that at least some Genesis units support RGB output natively. However, online schematics lacking resistors have led to many people getting an image way too bright out of their units. Something to consider.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^^^ see the switch I posted. Does component/composite/S-vid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Have that. Bought it under $10 at my store last year during our Thanksgiving sales. XD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Just to confirm something in case it's news: S-Video should be plugged in using only the red and white audio channel cables, and the S-Video plug. The yellow plug shouldn't (or at the very least needn't be) plugged in.

I wonder if it wouldn't make sense for you just to get two switch boxes - one with S-Video and another with component. (I assume the S-Video capable switcher would also accept composite...you'd know if it has the yellow composite video plug, seems reasonable to expect)

Also, I have heard that at least some Genesis units support RGB output natively. However, online schematics lacking resistors have led to many people getting an image way too bright out of their units. Something to consider.
    32X requires RGB to operate. One way to tell.

Sega and Sony were consistent. RGB for their primary console in much of the world.
    Even inexplicably Nomad does. Despite no release where it'd get used often.

Nintendo is hit and miss. Skipping N64, then PAL only afterward.
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Also, I have heard that at least some Genesis units support RGB output natively.
    You're gonna confuse him even more by throwing RGB into the mix.