Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Default Vs. Maxx Famiclone Find

Hey guys just thought I would quickly share this Famiclone I found at a local thrift store (I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia and we hardly get anything cool in our thrift stores so this was exciting )

It's called the Vs. Maxx Maxplay and looks like an N64 controller that is all self contained and plugs right into the TV. It runs on 4 AAA batteries and is a super cool unit. It has a working analog stick as well which is awesome! A second controller can be plugged into the bottom of the first one (which as I mentioned is the console itself) and runs of of it's power. Both controllers have all the necessary NES buttons (A and B buttons are the N64 "C" buttons), a D-pad, an analog joystick, a reset button, and the coolest part is on the top of the controllers they are light guns. Yep, the Z button of the N64 style controller is the trigger for the light gun and they are super accurate might I add.

The console also comes with 95 built in games which are mostly hacks of other NES/Famicom games (I already noticed Devil World, Adventure Island, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong 3, etc.)

The console has a Famicom cartridge slot, but unfortunately I don't have any Famicom games to test with it :/

If anyone has this system and can confirm it works with Famicom games then please tell me! I want to get some soon to use with this system as the system itself was way cheaper than a converter or a Famicom.

By the way the system with both controllers and everything needed to play was only $4.00!!!

And finally, here are some pics of it so you see what I'm talking about:

Main Unit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-03-05 21-46-48.403.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	6380

Back of unit with Z (light gun trigger) button and Famicom cartridge port

Name:	2013-03-05 21-47-06.280.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	6381

Detachable battery pack that looks like an N64 memory card

Name:	2013-03-05 21-48-31.374.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	6382
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

[YouTube Link] [eBay Link] [Digital Press Link] [Sega-16 Link]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Better look at back of controller/console

Name:	2013-03-05 21-47-01.000.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	6383

Top light gun part

Name:	2013-03-05 21-48-53.191.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	6384

AV cables hardwired into console/controller

Name:	2013-03-05 21-49-32.375.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	6385

Second controller has exact same front side

Name:	2013-03-05 21-49-52.584.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	6386

But second controller has different back (no battery pack or cartridge port)

Name:	2013-03-05 21-50-03.900.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	6387

Will upload pictures of example of console in action (with one of the 95 pirated games that came integrated into the console) soon.

Also sorry for the glare I have a really bright lamp :P
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its a common piece of junk from the late 90s, majority of famicom games will not work or play imperfectly. As long as its a 60 pin slot you can try a few carts. These Controller games are typically sold as the power joy and they are the cheapest made of any "clone" if you can even call it that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    Its a common piece of junk from the late 90s, majority of famicom games will not work or play imperfectly. As long as its a 60 pin slot you can try a few carts. These Controller games are typically sold as the power joy and they are the cheapest made of any "clone" if you can even call it that.
    Yea I was skeptical about importing to try with that cartridge port and I've looked around the internet and people who own both power joys and this console like this console much more and say it feels well built which I must agree with. I really want to play some famicom games but i might just need to buy an adapter for my NES if this doesnt work. I still think it's worth it however because I get to play like 10 more gun games (hacks but i like them ) play funny hacks of games i like, play hacks of Famicom only games that I never tried (the games 'Underworld' and 'Archery' as theyre called in the game), and maybe play real cartridge Famicom games if it works with them. For 4 bucks, I say it was worth it IMO
    Last edited by Gunstar Hero; 03-06-2013 at 06:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Powerjoys are not perfect, but not bad either. I own a few clones including the Navigator set. With the built in games, it is the cheapest way to get Famicom games if one does not mind a collection of menu driven bootlegs. Tetris 2 in the Game Menu is usually the very expensive Tengen Tetris. Throw in the bonus of the 60 pin Famicom connector makes it worth getting, even if not an actual famicom.

They can break, but can easily be fixed. I took one of mine apart and posted a couple reviews:

Powerjoy and Navigator - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewt...555557#p555557

Powerjoy Insides - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewt...460309#p460309

CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, Famicoms are so cheap these days and theres literally over a million Pirate multi carts you can get and Tengen Tetris is usually the version of Tetris you find on pirate multis, its common. In fact its the only version of Tetris Ive ever seen on a multi, never seen Nintendo tetris on a multi, ever....Ive had close to 300 multi carts pass through my hands.

I just dont see the sense in these things, it does not run games correctly or not at all. Thats junk in my book, Id rather have a system that runs everything correctly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

I just dont see the sense in these things, it does not run games correctly or not at all. Thats junk in my book, Id rather have a system that runs everything correctly.
    Well the reason some find these cool are because they are different and more of a novelty really than something you would play all your games on. Nothing is a substitution for real hardware, and I have an NES just not a Famicom, so when I import the game I'm buying off of eBay that is Famicom only if it works on my Vs. Maxx then I won't have to buy a Famicom or an adapter for Famicom games on the NES for way more money. The game I'm buying is around $6 and the console was $4 so in all I will experience something new and cool for $10. In my book, that's not bad .

Some clones run certain games well and like I said the main reason I bought this clone was because I think it looks awesome and is really more of a novelty.

Plus I needed something cheap and small that I could mod to be a portable system if it played Famicom carts well, and I couldn't pass this up as it is compact and already runs off of batteries and just needs a screen and speakers and some modding to make my first portable that is if it runs Famicom cartridges well.