Thread: Heads up: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner reprints

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Default Heads up: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner reprints

With Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers coming out in the US for 3DS soon, the first PS2 Devil Summoner has apparently been reprinted (with supposedly identical packaging), and word on the street is that the sequel will be reprinted soon as well (I assume without the plushie and all). Seems that the MSRP is $29.99. This is really great since both games have been climbing up in price on the used market.

I got the second PS2 game at launch, but I didn't even think about buying the first until around when the second was coming out and it had already gotten a bit expensive. I definitely won't make the mistake of missing out on it this time. Some of the other PS2 MegaTen games have seen reprints in the past and they're still plentiful and eventually got marked down to around $20, but you guys can decide if you want to take the risk to get a better deal. These reprints could just as well end up like the Persona 2 reprint, which never got marked down before it disappeared as best as I can remember, and once it did disappear, it started to shoot up in value once again. And then there's the fact that resellers are a bigger problem than ever, so I wouldn't be surprised if some are buying tons of copies to hoard right now.

Anyway, here's the Amazon link for the first PS2 Devil Summoner: http://www.amazon.com/Megami-Tensei-...dp/B000FPGZUE/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for the heads up, I appreciate it.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

So that not so limited edition of Raidou Kazunoha vs King Abaddon with 80,000 units is probably going to be 100,000+. Everyone. Looks like now is the time to put your crappy Raidou Kazunoha games on Ebay and get what you can and buy the reprints if you really want them. In the near future they'll be worthless, and it's not like the other SMT titles that atleast have a redeeming quality, good gameplay and good(for a video game) story.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I've seen these at GameStop, used. The prices are pretty decent.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I just checked on GameStop.com, and the used prices for the first and second game are $19.99 and $17.99, respectively. Considering the prices on eBay for the games, I imagine you have to get really lucky to come across them at GameStop before somebody else snatches them up (plus you'd have to get lucky to find anything other than a loose disc in a generic case, which is how the majority of PS2 games are at the GameStop stores I've visited recently). But with the reprints, maybe they'll become more plentiful at GameStop, so if you want to save a little and get a used copy rather than sealed, go for it if you see 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    So that not so limited edition of Raidou Kazunoha vs King Abaddon with 80,000 units is probably going to be 100,000+. Everyone. Looks like now is the time to put your crappy Raidou Kazunoha games on Ebay and get what you can and buy the reprints if you really want them. In the near future they'll be worthless, and it's not like the other SMT titles that atleast have a redeeming quality, good gameplay and good(for a video game) story.
    I swear, are you even capable of posting something that doesn't make my eyes roll out of my head?

First of all, as I already pointed out, the odds that the plushie and boxes would be manufactured too are EXTREMELY low. Atlus only meant that the set would be "limited". They never made any claims that there wouldn't be a reprint of the standalone game.

Second, there is absolutely no indication that the games will instantly become worthless. My guess is that they're going to hold steady around the reprint MSRP for a while, and after some time has passed, there's no knowing if they'll drop further or climb again. There is obviously demand for these games, and it remains to be seen how well this reprint will satisfy that demand. We also have no idea what the size of the reprint is.

Third, nobody cares that you don't like the games.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 03-06-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I've seen them at several GameStop stores in Texas and Louisiana. At first I thought that the store in Rockwall Texas had a rare copy, when I saw it a couple of months ago. Yeah, it probably won't be around for long, but they've been around for several months now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saw rumors and signs of this about a week ago actually. Really happy, as the first game was the only one I was missing for my PS2 SMT collection.

I grabbed my copy from a guy who put it up for $37 including shipping; really should've waited a few more days for the distribution of reprints to go up so I could have gotten it cheaper, but I got too excited and didn't want to potentially miss a deal. Oh well, really cool that more people will get to play it now for a reasonable price. Can't wait to play it when it finally gets here, shipping is taking forever.

By the way, was the second game ever released as a standalone, or was it only ever in the limited edition box set? When I got mine in April of 2010 at Gamestop I got a limited edition and a standalone copy, both new, but later on a friend told me they never released it standalone and I got scammed.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sulz View Post
    By the way, was the second game ever released as a standalone, or was it only ever in the limited edition box set? When I got mine in April of 2010 at Gamestop I got a limited edition and a standalone copy, both new, but later on a friend told me they never released it standalone and I got scammed.
    There was only the limited edition. So the standalone copy that you got was just the game without the plastic box and plush. If it was sealed, my guess is it was a gutted or employee rented copy and then resealed.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-06-2013 at 05:28 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    There was only the limited edition. So the standalone copy that you got was just the game without the plastic box and plush. If it was sealed, my guess is it was a gutted or employee rented copy and then resealed.
    Odd. There was a completely separate SKU for the two versions I believe, and didn't appear resealed (edit: to clarify, I meant it appeared factory sealed) or to have any signs of use, but I can see Gamestop doing that.
    Last edited by Sulz; 03-06-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm pretty positive that the game was sealed within the box. In fact, I'm not sure if I've ever bought a brand new US-released limited edition box set that didn't have the game itself also sealed on the inside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

6 copies remain on Amazon at this time.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

I don't get why this game needed to be reprinted. You guys are jumping the gun on what you call a rarity nowadays. It's a niche group of people that want to own or play this game. It's selling for $29.99 new on amazon right now. How is that expensive? What are you guys expecting to pay for the reprints $14.99?

As a previous poster said the market for these games have a high demand from collectors more so then people who are dying to play the game.
    Last edited by needler420; 03-13-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    I don't get why this game needed to be reprinted. You guys are jumping the gun on what you call a rarity nowadays. It's a niche group of people that want to own or play this game. It's selling for $29.99 new on amazon right now. How is that expensive? What are you guys expecting to pay for the reprints $14.99?

As a previous poster said the market for these games have a high demand from collectors more so then people who are dying to play the game.
    Dude, try actually reading the posts in the topic before you criticize people. The $29.99 price point IS the reprint price. Before that, used copies were usually at least twice that, and brand new copies were typically $100+. Not a single person in this topic claimed that these games are rare, but it's still easy to see why a reprint was warranted. Even if these were the most common games in the entire world, if they're still expensive on the used market, then there's demand that's not being adequately satisfied. And Atlus realizes that with the 3DS game coming out, there is going to be even more demand, so it's the perfect time for the games to be reprinted.

Anyway, Siliconera confirmed that the second PS2 Devil Summoner will be reprinted as well, and just as I was betting on before, it'll be game-only, not with the plushie and all:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/07...ummoner-games/

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Dude, try actually reading the posts in the topic before you criticize people. The $29.99 price point IS the reprint price. Before that, used copies were usually at least twice that, and brand new copies were typically $100+. Not a single person in this topic claimed that these games are rare, but it's still easy to see why a reprint was warranted. Even if these were the most common games in the entire world, if they're still expensive on the used market, then there's demand that's not being adequately satisfied. And Atlus realizes that with the 3DS game coming out, there is going to be even more demand, so it's the perfect time for the games to be reprinted.

Anyway, Siliconera confirmed that the second PS2 Devil Summoner will be reprinted as well, and just as I was betting on before, it'll be game-only, not with the plushie and all:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/07...ummoner-games/
    I been paying attention to the SMT games over a year now and they never went near the prices you say. Just in till a few months ago gamestop.com and amazon had that SMT game with the plush doll new for retail price still. I was about to get one but passed. Now it has a little bit of a scalpers premium. They had some premium but taking the highest price one sold for and trying to make it out to be the average cost isn't exactly fair market value.

Also if the games were just announced to have reprints I don't get how those are the reprints. That price might be associated and related to the reprint but there is no way that's the reprints and the official price if it was just announced.
    Last edited by needler420; 03-13-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I been paying attention to the SMT games over a year now and they never went near the prices you say. Just in till a few months ago gamestop.com and amazon had that SMT game with the plush doll new for retail price still. I was about to get one but passed. Now it has a little bit of a scalpers premium. They had some premium but taking the highest price one sold for and trying to make it out to be the average cost isn't exactly fair market value.

Also if the games were just announced to have reprints I don't get how those are the reprints. That price might be associated and related to the reprint but there is no way that's the reprints and the official price if it was just announced.
    I'm now convinced that you are just a huge troll and someone who enjoys picking arguments with people who are better informed than yourself simply for the sake of stirring things up. Who cares whether you personally were able to find it up until a few months ago? The point is that the games are out of print and are now being reprinted and more people will be able to purchase them new rather than dealing with gutted copies at Gamestop or resellers at Amazon.

Atlus has reprinted games in the past and they have a tendency to ship them to Amazon and previously to Gamequest and then announce the reprint after the copies were already available for sale.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I'm now convinced that you are just a huge troll and someone who enjoys picking arguments with people who are better informed than yourself simply for the sake of stirring things up. Who cares whether you personally were able to find it up until a few months ago? The point is that the games are out of print and are now being reprinted and more people will be able to purchase them new rather than dealing with gutted copies at Gamestop or resellers at Amazon.

Atlus has reprinted games in the past and they have a tendency to ship them to Amazon and previously to Gamequest and then announce the reprint after the copies were already available for sale.
    Atlus has a tendency to reprint everything they make. First mistake of Atlus fans is thinking a rare Atlus game won't get reprinted.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Atlus has a tendency to reprint everything they make. First mistake of Atlus fans is thinking a rare Atlus game won't get reprinted.
    How is this in any way relevant to the OP or any of the myriad of stupid statements you made earlier in this thread?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    How is this in any way relevant to the OP or any of the myriad of stupid statements you made earlier in this thread?
    Because you said Atlus has reprinted games in the past. They reprint games more then any other developer.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Dude, you're all over the place here. You were talking about the $29.99 price point in the Amazon link for the first game, therefore my response was about the first Devil Summoner on PS2, not the second with the plushie. Those prices I posted for the first game are accurate. If you don't believe me, do a completed auctions search on eBay and look at the oldest listings (the ones prior to the reprints appearing on eBay). Average sale price for a used copy was $60+. The game shot up in price around when the sequel came out and continued to climb since. Yes, the sequel, being a more recent game, has stayed pretty cheap up until recently. Regardless, nobody has a time machine, so it doesn't matter if the game was cheap just a few months ago. Both games were pretty expensive when this news broke.

Also, these reprints aren't happening simultaneously. The first game was reprinted first. The reprints of the sequel still aren't available just yet. And like Bojay pointed out, often times these reprints of niche, older games appear for sale before there is even official confirmation of a reprint. When tons of copies of Persona 2 and Rhapsody started showing up on eBay and at GameStop stores, we (the members of the Retrogaming Roundtable) were wondering for weeks (maybe months?) if the games had been reprinted or if it was just a discovery of new old stock.