Thread: Wild Arms

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Default Wild Arms

For whatever reason these games have slipped on my radar over the years. I was browsing through my local Craigslist ad and found someone selling Wild Arms 1-4 and it caught my attention. They seem to be in good shape and taken care of, which for me is a plus, I am slightly OCD when it comes to Playstation case and manual condition. Back to my question, are these games fun, good, worth playing? Has anyone here played these and enjoyed them? Anything you'd compare it to?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not a big RPG guy but I loved the first one when it came out back in '97. Not sure how kind 16 years have been to it though...
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive played some of the first game and I really enjoyed it. Its a cool mix of medieval and western art design. I dont know how the other ones are, but you should definitely play the first one.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why do people keep using OCD just because they like things neat. This bothers me .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've played and beaten all the games except for XF (for PSP), so I would say go for it if you like RPGs.

Here's a quick rundown of my impressions:

1: Good but dated, also some of the puzzles are kind of ridiculous so you may want a FAQ. Play it if you don't mind grinding.

2: Personally my favorite, great music, good characters and a fun story. Translation can be a bit weird sometimes (wah wah wah) but still completely enjoyable.

3: Traditional turned based battle system, okay to good story but the characters are really fun. Jet Enduro is one of my favorite character designs from the entire series.

4: Changed over to the Hex system for battles, pretty darn fun the first time you play but the story is kind of blah.

5: Seems more like a thank you/homage to the fans. Hex system remains and has been improved. Story and characters are good, and world map alone is neat to explore.

Alter Code F: PS2 Remake of the first game. Given the option I would rather play this than the first game again, I guess it's gotten a bit pricey though. Probably my second favorite game in the series after WA2.

NOTE: I think it was games 5 and Alter Code F that they started putting in Puzzle Boxes as a side thing to do. Oh my god are the fun if you like puzzles.

Hope that helps!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Well it seems like something I might enjoy. More pros than cons coming from you guys, even if the graphics for the first one are a little dated. Another questions, I know I could research it, excuse my laziness, does anyone know the value of the games offhand? The add is for 1-4 for $70.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Wasn't XF a spin-off game, though (it became a tactical RPG)?

I do remember Alter Code F being seemingly forever delayed. I wonder if that is a contributor to its price/rarity?
    (I mean, after awhile, I just kind of forgot about it.)

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the first one, albeit very easy especially if you know that item trick. Tried playing the 2nd one, thought it sucked, never touched the other sequels.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

if you have a PSP or Vita, you can actually download Wild Arms 1 for free right now. PS+ is not required to get the game free either. Go figure I already payed to download this years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M.Buster2184 View Post
    Well it seems like something I might enjoy. More pros than cons coming from you guys, even if the graphics for the first one are a little dated. Another questions, I know I could research it, excuse my laziness, does anyone know the value of the games offhand? The add is for 1-4 for $70.
    I think that's kind of high unless they are all in super duper mint condition or come with hint guides or something. I think 1,2, & 4 go for around $15-20 with 3 costing around $10. I'd try and get them to sell at closer to $50 for me to jump on it if I was collecting them, but that's just me.

Alter Code F is the priciest and seems to go for like $40-$50. It's a super fun game though, and light years better than the original in my opinion.

Oh! Any while it's not a game they did make an anime that is loosely based around events and areas from the second game, but with it's own unique story. I really liked it, and the music in the anime is from Kow Otani, the person who scored Shadow of the Colossus.