Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Default F-Zero AX Arcade discovered hidden inside F-Zero GX Gamecube

Who knew those little discs could hold so much?
    http://www.retrocollect.com/News/hac...f-zero-gx.html

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Interesting. Seeing as how I bought an Action Replay to access the AX tracks years ago (I think they could be unlocked after beating all the other cups on the hardest difficulty --which I certainly couldn't manage while retaining my sanity), I'll have to try this out.
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 03-07-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I vaguely recall the option of unlocking things onto a memory card. Now I need to find an Action Replay! Oh wait, they're ridiculously expensive!
    Last edited by Greg2600; 03-07-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, this is pretty cool. Crazy how it went 9 years without being discovered. If I ever run across a GC Action Replay I'll try this out for sure.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

The devs of Rogue Squadron III kept the inclusion of the Return of the Jedi arcade game similarly secret on that for the better part of several years if I recall.

What's with Gamecube games and secret hidden stuff on the discs?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    The devs of Rogue Squadron III kept the inclusion of the Return of the Jedi arcade game similarly secret on that for the better part of several years if I recall.

Gamecube Pikmin, still looking for the version that has all the extras to unlock.

I confirmed that the Newer Action Replay does not have the F-Zero AX code, it does not allow additional codes to be entered. Broke out my older Action Replay with the memory card, entered the code and it worked beautiful! I really dread that AR card crapping out, it has a reputation of breaking which renders the older AR disc useless. Luckily the AR file can easily be backed up. The memory card has to be in the second port for saving the AR file, I backed it up on my other GC memory cards as well.

Confirmed the code works, the startup screen shows a still pic of the Arcade instructions with warnings about the motion cab. Six Race courses and different hover cars from FZero AX. I love the track which is like the fire level in GX. It keeps the car gravity glued to the track, think Mario Galaxy. Just do not go into the settings in AX, the game will lock up.

Unfortunately, no apparent way to save the unlock to a game save. The older Action Replay disc has to be booted every time to get the F-Zero AX unlock.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Pretty neat. It's always great when old games reveal new stuff out of the blue...wait for it...falcon. I imagine this was done because the games were so similar that it made more sense to make one version and then just slightly modify the game for either arcade or home, and since removing stuff could cause other parts of the game to break they figured it best to just leave it all in. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a GCN version hidden in the arcade game, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    I really dread that AR card crapping out, it has a reputation of breaking which renders the older AR disc useless. Luckily the AR file can easily be backed up. The memory card has to be in the second port for saving the AR file, I backed it up on my other GC memory cards as well.
    I had this problem. The AR card worked maybe twice before it corrupted (or whatever) and forced me to return the whole package to the store for another. I was quite paranoid about putting the replacement to task and have only used it on maybe 3 or 4 occasions.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

... isn't that game on the demo disc anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    ... isn't that game on the demo disc anyway?
    1980s Star Wars Arcade was on the Demo Disc.

The 1980s Star Wars Arcade AND Empire Strikes Back were the bonus games advertised as available on Rogue Squadron 3.

1980s Return of the Jedi was on the retail disc but the devs didn't release the "cheat code" to unlock it for at least a year after the game's release.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    I had this problem. The AR card worked maybe twice before it corrupted (or whatever) and forced me to return the whole package to the store for another. I was quite paranoid about putting the replacement to task and have only used it on maybe 3 or 4 occasions.
    Just copy the file off the AR memory card onto each one of your other cards. Seriously do this immediately, the original Action Replay is very expensive let alone finding one. AR needs that file and loads just fine off any of the backups.
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Just copy the file off the AR memory card onto each one of your other cards. Seriously do this immediately, the original Action Replay is very expensive let alone finding one. AR needs that file and loads just fine off any of the backups.
    Hmm, I had no idea... better do that asap.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any idea if this can be done with Dolphin?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What a great game! And it still holds up graphically after all these years. As other have pointed out, unlocking the AX tracks is incredibly hard -- you have to beat all the regular cups on Master difficulty. My brother and I played the hell out of that game back in the day; I need to see what it looks like on my HD screen some day.

But that it can actually boot into the arcade mode? That's pretty crazy!

Man, if Nintendo/Sega ever made a version of this game with 30+ player races online...that might get me interested in a Wii U.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mort View Post
    Any idea if this can be done with Dolphin?
    If you use Dolphin, go into ..\dolphin-3.0-win64\User\GameConfig\ and add these code lines into GFZE01.INI

+$Unlock AX Arcade Mode
    03C854A0 08000000
    04004930 806D831C
    04004934 28030000
    04004938 41820014
    0400493C 3C630019
    04004940 8083D550
    04004944 64844001
    04004948 9083D550
    0400494C 7FE3FB78
    04004950 4801664C
    0401AF98 4BFE9998
    Last edited by Greg2600; 03-09-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

So, I checked out mine and it still works, but I have no idea how to copy the file. When I go to the memory card menu, it says something to the effect of "The device in Memory Card Slot cannot be used".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I vaguely recall the option of unlocking things onto a memory card. Now I need to find an Action Replay! Oh wait, they're ridiculously expensive!
    Thirty bucks plus shipping at http://us.codejunkies.com/Departments/gcn.aspx , but I'm pretty sure the $20 SD Media Launcher functions as an AR on its own too.

Anyway, Mario Kart Arcade GP is playable on the Wii if you hack it the right way. Isn't the authentic F-Zero AX playable the same way? I suppose using an AR (and a genuine disc) is substantially less troublesome.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For not being anywhere near to an F-Zero AX machine, this news is golden. Perhaps it's obvious but I'll ask anyway - when booting AX can you have a normal memory card inserted with a GX save file and essentially unlock the AX tracks/vehicles/parts in doing so? That's my real aim, all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Thirty bucks plus shipping at http://us.codejunkies.com/Departments/gcn.aspx , but I'm pretty sure the $20 SD Media Launcher functions as an AR on its own too.
    Someone has said the newer ARs don't work. See the below quote.
    I confirmed that the Newer Action Replay does not have the F-Zero AX code, it does not allow additional codes to be entered.
    The older versions with memory card can be expensive, if you buy it now. Most of the time they can be cheap enough.
    Last edited by fahlim003; 03-10-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    So, I checked out mine and it still works, but I have no idea how to copy the file. When I go to the memory card menu, it says something to the effect of "The device in Memory Card Slot cannot be used".
    I would not boot the Code Entry Action Replay disc again until you do make backup copies to each of your memory cards.

EVERY TIME AR BOOTS, IT WRITES BACK TO THE CARD, AR MEMORY CARDS HAVE A TRACK RECORD OF FAILING.

Just to confirm, are you using the Gamecube Memory Card Manager and not Action Replay booted to copy the file? Try pulling and plugging back in each memory card a few times. Just be very careful that you do not delete anything off the AR card. Once you get the AR File backed up, put it away and just use the regular memory card in port 2 to boot Action Replay.

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    For not being anywhere near to an F-Zero AX machine, this news is golden. Perhaps it's obvious but I'll ask anyway - when booting AX can you have a normal memory card inserted with a GX save file and essentially unlock the AX tracks/vehicles/parts in doing so? That's my real aim, all the same.

The older versions with memory card can be expensive, if you buy it now. Most of the time they can be cheap enough.
    As mentioned I have already tried the save route, I already previously set up a game save with the regular GX tracks completed. When trying to go to setup while in the AX unlock to update the save file, the game freezes. If anyone finds a way, please post, would like to be able to boot into AX without having to boot Action Replay every time.

True about all the current generation Game Cube Action Replay - Media Launcher - Import Loader. ALL have the other in them and there is no additional code entry allowed. NONE HAVE THE AX CODE. This is where the older Action Replay is best, for newly discovered codes.
    Last edited by CRTGAMER; 03-10-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    If you use Dolphin, go into ..\dolphin-3.0-win64\User\GameConfig\ and add these code lines into GFZE01.INI

+$Unlock AX Arcade Mode
    03C854A0 08000000
    04004930 806D831C
    04004934 28030000
    04004938 41820014
    0400493C 3C630019
    04004940 8083D550
    04004944 64844001
    04004948 9083D550
    0400494C 7FE3FB78
    04004950 4801664C
    0401AF98 4BFE9998
    Awesome, thanks!

I'll have to give this a try when I have a little free time.