Thread: Any love for the Sega Game Gear?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any love for the Sega Game Gear?

I picked up a Game Gear and two games today off of Craigslist, and thus far have really been enjoying the games. I have four in total (Jurassic Park, T2, Sonic 2, and G-Loc), but I was wondering if anyone had any "hidden gem" recommendations for the Game Gear? It seems like a pretty cool system that I'd like to give a serious look at collecting for.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I fucking love game gear. It's an amazing system for its time.

My reccomendations:

GG Exclusives:
    Shinobi I and II: Original exclusive entries in the series; Power Rangers meets Shinobi Meets Megaman. Have you came yet?
    Tails Adventure: Really Cool ARPG that does its own thing.
    Ax Battler: Neat little Zelda 2 Clone.
    Shining Force The Sword of Hayja: Classic Strat-RPG action on the go.
    Popils: Unique little puzzler that's definitely worth a go.
    Devilish: Neat little mix of breakout and pinball quest.
    Sonic Triple Trouble: Definitely the biggest GG sonic. Comes the closest to feeling like a genesis game.
    Vampire - Master of Darkness: despite having some of the worst box art ever, this is a neat little castlevania clone.
    Ristar - Actually a different game than the genesis one! More ristar is always worth trying out.

GG games also on SMS:
    Psychic World - In my opinion, this is one of the most underrated video games on the console. awesome music for GG, unique gameplay, fairly cheap, you MUST own this one.
    Sonic 1 - Best sonic on Game Gear IMO. Short but sweet and has a different physics engine than all the others
    Robocop Vs The Terminator - One of the few really good licensed titles on GG. Survived the jump from Genesis to GG/SMS pretty well
    Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine: Puyo Puyo on the go. Has a unique puzzle mode that the Genesis version doesn't!
    Dynamite Headdy - Not half as good as the genesis version, but definitely one of the best-looking games on the system and still pretty decent for a Gen-to-GG port, even if it is way too short.

ANY disney game - they're all winners.

English-Friendly Imports:
    Factory Panic - Strange arcade-styled game. The guy you play as looks like porky so if you liked earthbound/mother 3 there you go.
    Ronald/Donald In The Magical World and Gunstar Heroes - TREASURE. Good Stuff. Need I say more?
    Sylvan Tale: Arpg like Zelda. Worth a go. Might need a little translation, tho not half as much as the big dogs like phantasy star and the rest of the shining forces.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post

My reccomendations:

GG Exclusives:
    Shinobi I and II: Original exclusive entries in the series; Power Rangers meets Shinobi Meets Megaman. Have you came yet?
    Sonic Triple Trouble: Definitely the biggest GG sonic. Comes the closest to feeling like a genesis game.
    Vampire - Master of Darkness: despite having some of the worst box art ever, this is a neat little castlevania clone.
    Ristar - Actually a different game than the genesis one! More ristar is always worth trying out.

GG games also on SMS:
    Psychic World - In my opinion, this is one of the most underrated video games on the console. awesome music for GG, unique gameplay, fairly cheap, you MUST own this one.
    Sonic 1 - Best sonic on Game Gear IMO. Short but sweet and has a different physics engine than all the others
    Robocop Vs The Terminator - One of the few really good licensed titles. Survived the jump from Genesis to GG/SMS pretty well
    Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine: Puyo Puyo on the go. Has a unique puzzle mode that the Genesis version doesn't!
    Dynamite Headdy - Not half as good as the genesis version, but definitely one of the best-looking games on the system and still pretty decent for a Gen-to-GG port, even if it is way too short.

Factory Panic - Strange arcade-styled game. The guy you play as looks like porky so if you liked earthbound/mother 3 there you go.
    Ronald/Donald In The Magical World and Gunstar Heroes - TREASURE. Good Stuff. Need I say more?
    Sylvan Tale: Arpg like Zelda. Worth a go. Might need a little translation, tho not half as much as the big dogs like phantasy star and the rest of the shining forces.
    Awesome! Thanks a bunch. I had already ordered Ax Battler so it is reassuring to hear it is awesome. I'm looking to pick up all the sonic games for it as well. These games are dirt cheap, too! What a great little system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you're on a budget for collecting GG, I reccomend getting these games first (that you haven't already):

Psychic World
    Sonic 1
    Sonic Chaos
    Sonic Triple Trouble
    Deep Duck Trouble (Disney Game)

All of these can be found for $5 or less with ease and each one is excellent. If you're buying to play, good commons are surely priority.

EDIT: Oh yeah! Forgot the import, "Coca Cola Kid". I like to think of it as the 13th game gear sonic game, since it uses the GG sonic engine and everything. It's not so cheap, though. At least, not through the eyes of an import seller.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 03-08-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

if you're on a budget for collecting GG, I reccomend getting these games first (that you haven't already):

Psychic World
    Sonic 1
    Sonic Chaos
    Sonic Triple Trouble
    Deep Duck Trouble (Disney Game)

All of these can be found for $5 or less with ease and each one is excellent. If you're buying to play, good commons are surely priority.

EDIT: Oh yeah! Forgot the import, "Coca Cola Kid". I like to think of it as the 13th game gear sonic game, since it uses the GG sonic engine and everything. It's not so cheap, though. At least, not through the eyes of an import seller.
    I hadn't heard of Coca Cola Kid although I probably have the rom just not knowing what it is. I'll have to try it out.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Ronald in The Magical World is notable for being a Japan only game, that requires English hardware to change language.

Puyo Puyo did the same thing. An entire GG exclusive localization as "Puzlow Kids".
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I love my Game Gear. I didn't even want one but my parents bought me one for Christmas in 1995. I love everything about it except for the screen. Hopefully Wiggy can come up with a screen replacement for those like they have for the Nomad. Anyhow, I got some games with my Game Gear that I've always loved. Bram Stoker's Dracula is a great game. There were so many version of this released for a ton of consoles. The Game Gear version is a direct port of the Master System version and it's by far the best. T2: Judgement Day is also a direct port of the Master System version. I also think it's the best version of the game. X-Men was a fun game as well. I actually Sonic Spinball for it as well. Sonic Chaos is a great one to pick up.

My reccomendations:

GG Exclusives:

GG games also on SMS:
    Robocop Vs The Terminator - One of the few really good licensed titles on GG. Survived the jump from Genesis to GG/SMS pretty well

ANY disney game - they're all winners.

I knew about some of these games, but thanks for some great suggestions. I just checked a lot of them out on You Tube and added them to my wanted list!
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

good list from recorderdude, I would also look at Sylvan Tale (there's a translation patch out for it!) and I'm trying to find out something about Moldorian

Gotta love those action games.

Hate the hardware though - bad screen, never remembered them looking good, and tough to keep in good shape. Desperately needs a TV output mod. Still, much of this can be fixed, but it's just beyond my means at the moment.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    good list from recorderdude, I would also look at Sylvan Tale (there's a translation patch out for it!) and I'm trying to find out something about Moldorian

Gotta love those action games.

Hate the hardware though - bad screen, never remembered them looking good, and tough to keep in good shape. Desperately needs a TV output mod. Still, much of this can be fixed, but it's just beyond my means at the moment.

Maybe I am just lucky, but my Game Gears screen has given me no trouble thus far! (Knock on wood) I bought it used, and while this I've heard is risky with Game Gears, my particular model is in perfect shape. I never had one growing up, but I think hardware wise, the Game Gear has aged just fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even the most devoted gamegear collectors have to acknowledge the all-too-common capacitor problem, in which old capacitors fail and leave the screen dim and sound nonexistant. It WILL happen to every GG eventually. It just hasn't happened to my main GG yet.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even the most devoted gamegear collectors have to acknowledge the all-too-common capacitor problem, in which old capacitors fail and leave the screen dim and sound nonexistant. It WILL happen to every GG eventually. It just hasn't happened to my main GG yet.
    Does anybody do repairs on Game Gear capacitors?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If someone can make a Super Game Boy style accessory for the Mega Drive, then I would be very happy. Collecting for the Game Gear is all well and good, but when the screen is near impossible to see and the only way to hear the game is through headphones, it really kills off the excitement for it.