Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any love for the Sega Game Gear?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any love for the Sega Game Gear?

I picked up a Game Gear and two games today off of Craigslist, and thus far have really been enjoying the games. I have four in total (Jurassic Park, T2, Sonic 2, and G-Loc), but I was wondering if anyone had any "hidden gem" recommendations for the Game Gear? It seems like a pretty cool system that I'd like to give a serious look at collecting for.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I fucking love game gear. It's an amazing system for its time.

My reccomendations:

GG Exclusives:
    Shinobi I and II: Original exclusive entries in the series; Power Rangers meets Shinobi Meets Megaman. Have you came yet?
    Tails Adventure: Really Cool ARPG that does its own thing.
    Ax Battler: Neat little Zelda 2 Clone.
    Shining Force The Sword of Hayja: Classic Strat-RPG action on the go.
    Popils: Unique little puzzler that's definitely worth a go.
    Devilish: Neat little mix of breakout and pinball quest.
    Sonic Triple Trouble: Definitely the biggest GG sonic. Comes the closest to feeling like a genesis game.
    Vampire - Master of Darkness: despite having some of the worst box art ever, this is a neat little castlevania clone.
    Ristar - Actually a different game than the genesis one! More ristar is always worth trying out.

GG games also on SMS:
    Psychic World - In my opinion, this is one of the most underrated video games on the console. awesome music for GG, unique gameplay, fairly cheap, you MUST own this one.
    Sonic 1 - Best sonic on Game Gear IMO. Short but sweet and has a different physics engine than all the others
    Robocop Vs The Terminator - One of the few really good licensed titles on GG. Survived the jump from Genesis to GG/SMS pretty well
    Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine: Puyo Puyo on the go. Has a unique puzzle mode that the Genesis version doesn't!
    Dynamite Headdy - Not half as good as the genesis version, but definitely one of the best-looking games on the system and still pretty decent for a Gen-to-GG port, even if it is way too short.

ANY disney game - they're all winners.

English-Friendly Imports:
    Factory Panic - Strange arcade-styled game. The guy you play as looks like porky so if you liked earthbound/mother 3 there you go.
    Ronald/Donald In The Magical World and Gunstar Heroes - TREASURE. Good Stuff. Need I say more?
    Sylvan Tale: Arpg like Zelda. Worth a go. Might need a little translation, tho not half as much as the big dogs like phantasy star and the rest of the shining forces.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post

My reccomendations:

GG Exclusives:
    Shinobi I and II: Original exclusive entries in the series; Power Rangers meets Shinobi Meets Megaman. Have you came yet?
    Sonic Triple Trouble: Definitely the biggest GG sonic. Comes the closest to feeling like a genesis game.
    Vampire - Master of Darkness: despite having some of the worst box art ever, this is a neat little castlevania clone.
    Ristar - Actually a different game than the genesis one! More ristar is always worth trying out.

GG games also on SMS:
    Psychic World - In my opinion, this is one of the most underrated video games on the console. awesome music for GG, unique gameplay, fairly cheap, you MUST own this one.
    Sonic 1 - Best sonic on Game Gear IMO. Short but sweet and has a different physics engine than all the others
    Robocop Vs The Terminator - One of the few really good licensed titles. Survived the jump from Genesis to GG/SMS pretty well
    Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine: Puyo Puyo on the go. Has a unique puzzle mode that the Genesis version doesn't!
    Dynamite Headdy - Not half as good as the genesis version, but definitely one of the best-looking games on the system and still pretty decent for a Gen-to-GG port, even if it is way too short.

Factory Panic - Strange arcade-styled game. The guy you play as looks like porky so if you liked earthbound/mother 3 there you go.
    Ronald/Donald In The Magical World and Gunstar Heroes - TREASURE. Good Stuff. Need I say more?
    Sylvan Tale: Arpg like Zelda. Worth a go. Might need a little translation, tho not half as much as the big dogs like phantasy star and the rest of the shining forces.
    Awesome! Thanks a bunch. I had already ordered Ax Battler so it is reassuring to hear it is awesome. I'm looking to pick up all the sonic games for it as well. These games are dirt cheap, too! What a great little system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you're on a budget for collecting GG, I reccomend getting these games first (that you haven't already):

Psychic World
    Sonic 1
    Sonic Chaos
    Sonic Triple Trouble
    Deep Duck Trouble (Disney Game)

All of these can be found for $5 or less with ease and each one is excellent. If you're buying to play, good commons are surely priority.

EDIT: Oh yeah! Forgot the import, "Coca Cola Kid". I like to think of it as the 13th game gear sonic game, since it uses the GG sonic engine and everything. It's not so cheap, though. At least, not through the eyes of an import seller.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 03-08-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

if you're on a budget for collecting GG, I reccomend getting these games first (that you haven't already):

Psychic World
    Sonic 1
    Sonic Chaos
    Sonic Triple Trouble
    Deep Duck Trouble (Disney Game)

All of these can be found for $5 or less with ease and each one is excellent. If you're buying to play, good commons are surely priority.

EDIT: Oh yeah! Forgot the import, "Coca Cola Kid". I like to think of it as the 13th game gear sonic game, since it uses the GG sonic engine and everything. It's not so cheap, though. At least, not through the eyes of an import seller.
    I hadn't heard of Coca Cola Kid although I probably have the rom just not knowing what it is. I'll have to try it out.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Ronald in The Magical World is notable for being a Japan only game, that requires English hardware to change language.

Puyo Puyo did the same thing. An entire GG exclusive localization as "Puzlow Kids".
    Lum fan.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

If you like fighters, both the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers games are awesome. Don't let the license fool you, it's a quality title that's enjoyable even if you don't know anything about the source material. Both are dirt cheap too.

Those two, along with Fatal Fury Special and Samurai Shodown, are definitely the best fighters available on either the GG & GB/GBC , or the SMS and NES for that matter.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    If you like fighters, both the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers games are awesome. Don't let the license fool you, it's a quality title that's enjoyable even if you don't know anything about the source material. Both are dirt cheap too.

Those two, along with Fatal Fury Special and Samurai Shodown, are definitely the best fighters available on either the GG & GB/GBC , or the SMS and NES for that matter.
    I'll have to look into getting the Power Rangers games. From what Youtube reveals is that they look pretty good!

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I used to play GG years ago. I really liked it. It's the only 8-bit Sega I liked. Though I've only played one game one time on SMS/Mark III looking at its library I don't really see appeal of it personally and don't own it. However I'd like to have a GG again and snag some JP games I never saw here, like Magic Knight Rayearth. I'm curious how that game is on the GG! (Has anyone played it? I only have the SS version and to my knowledge all the "versions" are entirely different games.)

Also, the thing that hurts the most is Sega never made an adapter to play GG games on the TV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Anyone who likes the GameGear owes it to themselves to get a Master System and see where Sega got almost all of the worthwhile GameGear games from. Sure, there are a bunch of GG exclusives, but by and large the majority of the best GameGear games are also on Master System and almost always better on Master System.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Anyone who likes the GameGear owes it to themselves to get a Master System and see where Sega got almost all of the worthwhile GameGear games from. Sure, there are a bunch of GG exclusives, but by and large the majority of the best GameGear games are also on Master System and almost always better on Master System.
    I've got to give the point to both sonic 1 and 2 being better on SMS; the first one's less of a pushover by screen resolution limitations (I'm looking at you, first eggman boss), and the second one's no longer unfair by screen resolution limitations (I'm looking at you, antlion boss) Also, sonic has a nose in sonic 1 in the MS version.

Still, the fact that GG's library is essentially SMS Plus and WAY cheaper than most SMS stuff makes it more appealing to me.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

My favorite game on the Game Gear was Defenders of Oasis.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

It's not a system I pull out often, but I've had some good fun with it. My favorite that I've played so far is Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya. It's not quite up there with the Genesis Shining Force games, but it's almost just as good. And it's a fair sight cheaper than Shining Force CD for Sega CD, which is a compilation of the first two Game Gear Shining Force games. Granted, if you want to play the second Game Gear Shining Force in English, Shining Force CD is your only option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    It's not a system I pull out often, but I've had some good fun with it. My favorite that I've played so far is Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya. It's not quite up there with the Genesis Shining Force games, but it's almost just as good. And it's a fair sight cheaper than Shining Force CD for Sega CD, which is a compilation of the first two Game Gear Shining Force games. Granted, if you want to play the second Game Gear Shining Force in English, Shining Force CD is your only option.
    Actually, Sword of Hayja IS the second one. The first and third are the JP exclusives.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

As many have told, Game Gear's screens are almost unplayable these days. I've had screen capacitors replaced, I've tried Majesco GG's, they all suck. Still worse than often older Lynx hand-helds and pretty much all Gameboys.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Actually, Sword of Hayja IS the second one. The first and third are the JP exclusives.
    Ah, okay. I knew the first two were on Shining Force CD, but I was too lazy to double-check which was which. :P It's a shame that the third didn't come out in English in any form (officially, at least).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I love my Game Gear. I didn't even want one but my parents bought me one for Christmas in 1995. I love everything about it except for the screen. Hopefully Wiggy can come up with a screen replacement for those like they have for the Nomad. Anyhow, I got some games with my Game Gear that I've always loved. Bram Stoker's Dracula is a great game. There were so many version of this released for a ton of consoles. The Game Gear version is a direct port of the Master System version and it's by far the best. T2: Judgement Day is also a direct port of the Master System version. I also think it's the best version of the game. X-Men was a fun game as well. I actually Sonic Spinball for it as well. Sonic Chaos is a great one to pick up.

My reccomendations:

GG Exclusives:

GG games also on SMS:
    Robocop Vs The Terminator - One of the few really good licensed titles on GG. Survived the jump from Genesis to GG/SMS pretty well

ANY disney game - they're all winners.

I knew about some of these games, but thanks for some great suggestions. I just checked a lot of them out on You Tube and added them to my wanted list!
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    My favorite game on the Game Gear was Defenders of Oasis.
    I picked this one up today, it was $5 well spent.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    As many have told, Game Gear's screens are almost unplayable these days. I've had screen capacitors replaced, I've tried Majesco GG's, they all suck. Still worse than often older Lynx hand-helds and pretty much all Gameboys.
    Mine is working well thus far!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My GG has shitons of flaws, paint's worn off around the middle of the "1", 2 button's hard to press, screen's got crap underneath it and maybe even a few dead pixels, but my screen's yet to die, and the sound works just fine too.

Amusingly enough, I've got two other, by the looks of them, flawless systems, but both have dim screens and one has no speaker sound.

EDIT: Also, ren and stimpy on game gear is a pretty fun title, albeit repeptitive. However, it has the best pause screen EVER. Make sure to try it at least once.

(one thing a lot of people don't know is that pressing jump and up does something different for both ren and stimpy. with ren you do a super high jump, stimpy does an almost-always useless untouchable bounce)
    Last edited by recorderdude; 03-08-2013 at 10:05 PM.