Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any love for the Sega Game Gear?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I have fond memories of the game gear used to play a friend's back in jr high he had the ac adapter for it of course lol. I was more impressed by it than gb because of the color etc.

I don't recall owning one as of yet have nearly bought one a few times. In some ways I'd rather get a nomad first having never tried one of those

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ninja Gaiden

I found Ninja Gaiden for $4 today on the game gear. Was this a good buy? Seems like a good game so far, but it does seem to get a lot of hate...

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZP3 View Post
    I found Ninja Gaiden for $4 today on the game gear. Was this a good buy? Seems like a good game so far, but it does seem to get a lot of hate...
    That's a good deal for GG Ninja Gaiden. The main reason people don't like it so much is that it's completely different from both the NES and SMS versions, and not really as memorable, albeit not bad per se.

Shinobi is THE game gear ninja game, though.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    That's a good deal for GG Ninja Gaiden. The main reason people don't like it so much is that it's completely different from both the NES and SMS versions, and not really as memorable, albeit not bad per se.

Shinobi is THE game gear ninja game, though.
    I've heard that the Shinobis are great games, what sets them apart from Ninja Gaiden?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Wasn't the Game Gear version a port of the arcade like the Lynx version?
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Nope, the GG Ninja Gaiden is a totally original thing. It's kind of similar to the NES games (running, slashing, ninja magic) but different enough to make it a unique version. I personally liked it, but I can see why people expecting the NES game dismissed it.

As for Shinobi in comparison to Ninja Gaiden, they really have nothing in common other than dealing with ninjas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Nope, the GG Ninja Gaiden is a totally original thing. It's kind of similar to the NES games (running, slashing, ninja magic) but different enough to make it a unique version. I personally liked it, but I can see why people expecting the NES game dismissed it.

As for Shinobi in comparison to Ninja Gaiden, they really have nothing in common other than dealing with ninjas.
    Hmm... I'll have to check it out then.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Anyone who likes the GameGear owes it to themselves to get a Master System and see where Sega got almost all of the worthwhile GameGear games from. Sure, there are a bunch of GG exclusives, but by and large the majority of the best GameGear games are also on Master System and almost always better on Master System.
    Better yet, buy a Master Gear converter and take the Master System on the go. I got my first Game Gear way back before the dinosaurs died off for that single reason. I had almost zero interest in the Game Gear's native library and instead hunted down all the SMS games I could find. If you could deal with the tiny text (Monopoly? Shanghai? HA!), you were able to build yourself a serious portable library. By the time I got my hands on an actual Master System, I had a decent collection of games.

My recommendations for Master Gear games:

R-Type
    Phantasy Star
    Miracle Warriors
    After Burner
    Galaxy Force
    Golden Axe
    Columns
    Outrun
    Ys

All of these have text that is easy to read on the GG's screen and make for hours of battery slaughtering fun
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sabz5150 View Post
    Better yet, buy a Master Gear converter and take the Master System on the go. I got my first Game Gear way back before the dinosaurs died off for that single reason. I had almost zero interest in the Game Gear's native library and instead hunted down all the SMS games I could find. If you could deal with the tiny text (Monopoly? Shanghai? HA!), you were able to build yourself a serious portable library. By the time I got my hands on an actual Master System, I had a decent collection of games.

My recommendations for Master Gear games:

R-Type
    Phantasy Star
    Miracle Warriors
    After Burner
    Galaxy Force
    Golden Axe
    Columns
    Outrun
    Ys

All of these have text that is easy to read on the GG's screen and make for hours of battery slaughtering fun
    I have heard great things about the Phantasy Star games, but have never played them. Are they a typical JRPG series?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard that the Shinobis are great games, what sets them apart from Ninja Gaiden?
    Shinobi is notable for having a ton of COMPLETELY different series in of itself; arcade shinobi games, rrevenge-style shinobi games, and the game-gear teamwork shinobi games. the Genesis games have one arcade-style game and two that go a more standard side-scrolling fare with limited (though plentiful) shuriken and a plethora of moves. The Game Gear games are a combination of power rangers and megaman; you choose a stage starting with the most basic ninja, and free four others, each with special abilities. One throws bombs, one has a spinning cross attack sort of like the one in castlevania but more versatile, one that shoots lightning, hell, you can even free a ninja that has the exact same abilities as in revenge of shinobi for the genesis! (btw, all weapons are unlimited use). You find upgrades for your life bar among other powerup items, and you'll need them because these games are HARD, especially part 1. Given the fact that they play REALLY well and they're some of the only killer GG exclusives outside of sonics, a LOT of people really enjoyed them.

Also, since they're WAY slower paced than the sonics, it's much easier to keep up with them on the GG's blurry screen.

I have heard great things about the Phantasy Star games, but have never played them. Are they a typical JRPG series?
    I only own II for the genesis myself, but #1 gets a shiton of praise and I can see why. It's very much ahead of its time in graphics and story. Some even claim it's their favorite JRPG of all time.

I believe Phantasy Star was the first JRPG series set in the distant future *to come to america*, but I may be wrong.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 03-11-2013 at 11:31 AM.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I had a Game Boy growing up and loved it to death but I had an uncle who had a Game Gear and whenever he brought it out the Game Boy's all went away because the Game Gear was in color and just so much cooler.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    I had a Game Boy growing up and loved it to death but I had an uncle who had a Game Gear and whenever he brought it out the Game Boy's all went away because the Game Gear was in color and just so much cooler.
    I have been impressed with my gamegear in comparison to my Gameboy. I might even venture to say that I like it more than my Gameboy Color! (With the exception of Pokémon) I think the Game Gear has an underrated library, the games for it are dirt cheap, and its plain awesome. What's not to love?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The screen is not to love. You can honestly play games on that thing?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GG's honestly not as bad as people make it out to be. I've played game gear and original brick game boy and I can safely say that the GB is FAR less tolerable for graphically intense games. How ANYONE played donkey kong land on that damn thing I have no idea.

I think it's more that people who are used to zero ghosting on conoles like the DS are surprised when they find it on older ones.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 03-11-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm not sure either. And that's why, as much as I love my Game Boy, I will call Donkey Kong Land a glorified tech demo. Luckily for the sequels, Nintendo/Rare realized playability was more important than amazing graphics we can't see anyways!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    GG's honestly not as bad as people make it out to be. I've played game gear and original brick game boy and I can safely say that the GB is FAR less tolerable for graphically intense games. How ANYONE played donkey kong land on that damn thing I have no idea.
    Try using a Gameboy Pocket. I can't play games enjoyably on an original Gameboy, not for any real length of time. I do have Donkey Kong Land and while I never beat it I used to play it quite a bit on my Gameboy Pocket.

There was a time when I really liked the Game Gear, back before I got my GBP. Someone let me play their Game Gear for awhile and playing Aladdin and Deep Duck Trouble was really fun. When we went to get one we were told that the system was being discontinued so we went with the GBP instead, I found lots of fun games with that so I didn't mind it. Now the Game Gear aged horribly and I don't collect it, I don't remember the screens being that bad back when I first played the system. The low battery life gets annoying fast too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DKL works just peachy in both my GBC and GBA. I keep it for that :P Also, it's totally worth beating, or at least getting further into. There's some really unique levels in it, like the ones where you jump on flying pigs on city rooftops.

As for GG's main issue, battery life, I just find myself plugged into the wall for most playsessions anyway so it doesn't bug me that much. I tried using a powerback, but as yall may remember, it fucking exploded from normal use, so DON'T USE A POWERBACK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Don't the DKL games have graphical glitches on GBC or later?
    Lum fan.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Don't the DKL games have graphical glitches on GBC or later?
    Of what sort? I never noticed anything on my GBC or GBA.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Of what sort? I never noticed anything on my GBC or GBA.
    The color pallet is probably wrong or at least it is when I play Mega Man V on GBA.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."