0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Default Multiples

I want to know what your thoughts are on owning multiples. I watch a lot of channels on You Tube where people will get multiple copies of a game because it was a good deal. They're intention is to use it to trade for something else. Now, I have a lot of multiples. I have different intentions though. I get them as spares and I do this with systems as well. I like to have one copy complete and then I like to get at least one backup copy in case something happens to the game. I never get a game that intend to get rid of. So, I never trade.

So, do you have multiple copies of games? If so, for what reason?
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't do this with games. Ever. Never had a single cart or disc fail on me.

However I do own many duplicate consoles. Considering consoles fail far more often than old carts, I tend to like having spares around. Also, I modify a LOT of them

I don't typically buy to resell though, unless I'm buying specifically for the business. I also tend towards broken or beat up consoles as dupes. I've really started to enjoy reconditioning and restoring older systems in the last year or so, and I find that I spend most of my game-related free time doing so.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I do have some doubles for some games. If I find a sealed game I'll buy another used one to actually play, or if one is in extremelly good condition I might just get another copy to play without having to worry about messing up my good one. Or I might have a few copies of one title if they're variants. Usually I don't plan on having multiple copies though.

I would pick up any good game I come across if the price is right, I do tend to trade them or sell them. Often I pick up good games to bundle with commons, it tends to be the only way to really get rid of common games. I end up buying bundles or small collections of games to get the titles I want, I end up with extra commons as a result.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I've purchased game lots and that's the only way I get duplicates but when I do I'll trade them for games I don't have. I don't see any reason to have several of a single game when you could trade or sell it and get a game you don't own.

But of course it's not my money so I really don't care what anyone else does personally.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

After buying many game & system lots over the past 10+ years I have accumulated many doubles. I plan on eventually trading my Genesis doubles to complete my Genesis set. All my Nintendo NES games I have doubles of I have no problem keeping, and unless I really need money I wont be selling them for a long time.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Nearly all of the duplicate games that end up in my hands I intend to get rid of in one way or another. The only exceptions are that I sometimes want a second copy if only one save file is available per cart, if it's a handheld game and I want to link up for 2-player gaming, or if it's simply a game that's really special to me and I keep multiple copies for collecting purposes.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Life's too short to worry about a 20 year old NES game failing on me. If my copy of Zelda 2 stops working, well then, that will be that. If another comes my way somewhere down the line, it's all cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    I don't do this with games. Ever. Never had a single cart or disc fail on me.

However I do own many duplicate consoles. Considering consoles fail far more often than old carts, I tend to like having spares around. Also, I modify a LOT of them

I don't typically buy to resell though, unless I'm buying specifically for the business. I also tend towards broken or beat up consoles as dupes. I've really started to enjoy reconditioning and restoring older systems in the last year or so, and I find that I spend most of my game-related free time doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    I've purchased game lots and that's the only way I get duplicates but when I do I'll trade them for games I don't have. I don't see any reason to have several of a single game when you could trade or sell it and get a game you don't own.

But of course it's not my money so I really don't care what anyone else does personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Burton_BYOAC View Post
    Life's too short to worry about a 20 year old NES game failing on me. If my copy of Zelda 2 stops working, well then, that will be that. If another comes my way somewhere down the line, it's all cool.
    I guess it's in my nature to worry. Add on the fact that I'm a bit OCD. I like to have a backup plan just in case even though, I too haven't had a game fail on me. I wish I could buy games in lots but all anyone seems to sell around here are 360 and PS3 games. And online everyone wants way too much. The prices have me thinking about the way I collect games all together.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Insert Coin (Level 0) KREATIVEassassin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I see a game that has meaning to me (The Legend of Zelda and Dragon Warrior come to mind) I feel like I should "save" it from the dirty pawn shop I found it in. If it's a dirty game I can clean up and restore, I feel like I need to keep it from deteriorating any further.

Then sometimes I find games that are worth more than they're priced at, so I pick those up as well even if I already own them. If I ever need to sell games for any reason, those will be the first to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've gone out of my way to get a second copy of a game once: Gran Turismo 3. You might say different region versions of the game aren't applicable since there can be actual game play distinct/differences, and with GT3 there is. Otherwise, I'd only have my original US copy and not the Japanese one.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I get most of my multiples in lots, too, but I have no reason to keep them. It's the same with games I don't personally enjoy; they get resold to go towards something worth more of my time. I will say, though, anytime I see a game I already have I have to question if the time spent trying to sell it or the funds recieved from the sale are more valuable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I will by buy a multiple (1) if its in a lot and there's other items or games I want anyway (2) if its a game I really like or want a back up for in case of failure and I usually only do this with my absolute favorites (3) If its condition is an upgrade to the one I have.

A perfect example of number 3 happened just yesterday - I found a CIB copy of World Carmen Sandiego for the Genesis. I already own one but both the cart and manual are in much better shape and this new copy had a nice crisp poster included. Now I'll probably put my older copy up for sale because I don't see a need to keep both.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    I've gone out of my way to get a second copy of a game once: Gran Turismo 3. You might say different region versions of the game aren't applicable since there can be actual game play distinct/differences, and with GT3 there is. Otherwise, I'd only have my original US copy and not the Japanese one.
    If different regional versions count as duplicates, then I have lots of those. In most cases, I had the Japanese version before the US version, sometimes before there was even any announcement of a US release. In general, though, I usually only get imports that never got a US version, since if there's a US version, I'd prefer to get that. Sometimes even that plan fails, though, like if I buy a Super Famicom game that only came out in Japan, only for it to finally receive an official localization on DS or something. Since I still haven't played the games, I kinda wish I never bothered to buy SFC games like Dragon Quest VI and Shiren the Wanderer, now that they're available in English on DS. Oh well, they're in my collection now, so I'll just keep them. Maybe after whenever I play the English releases, I might want to replay them via the Japanese originals to see all the differences.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ausiie2B put a good one out there, Save Files! I have three copies of Dragon Quest Monsters Joker and two copies of DQMJ2 as well as both games loaded on the R4. You can't imagine how frustrating it is to have to buy a new copy of a game if you want to start a new character and actually enjoy the story again. I don't want to wipe out my uber-powerful custom team that has literally hundreds of hours invested in it, so a new copy must be purchased. One of the few times I think ANYONE should have absolutely NO qualms about ROM usage.
    I have TWO copies of Terranigma. One is German in a giant Chrono Trigger-sized box with a full strategy guide. The other is a PAL english CIB that is standard sized and sits nicely next to my PAL Illusion of Time CIB, even though I have a CIB Illusion of Gaia for use on my NTSC console.
    I have a CIB Kiwi Kraze, but because the first time I ever played that game was on an arcade machine as a child it didn't feel right not having it be called The New Zealand Story, I imported the CIB PAL NES version from Ocean. I also have it on PSP and DS, and on Taito Legends for X-Box and PS2.
    I couldn't even tell you how many versions of Final Fantasy titles I have, but with PSP having nice graphics for the remakes of 1,2, and 4 plus bonus content, you've got to get them. I'm not fond of some of the name changes; I'm looking at you Kary from FF1 in particular. Also it's TERRA not TINA for 3/6 conversions.
    I have Bioshock Collectors Edition for X-Box with Soundtrack and Big Daddy. I have a sealed PS3 Collector's Bioshock 2. I have non-collector versions of both to play on my PS3.
    Kirby, Mario, Samus Aran, Simon Belmont... There's no way you can't get duplicates of some of their adventures if you build up a semi-serious collection. In short there's no all-in-one "perfect" example of almost ANY game out there, so you get duplicates to enjoy different aspects of the TOTAL experience that is offered up to you in pieces over time. Look and see how many Double Dragon games it took for Retro Gamer to review and they ALL had their own faults. Noone got it "All Right" yet and this is how many years later!?! It's just one of those things... I also have 5 copies of Super Mario 64, 3 NTSC, 1 JAP, and the DS remake which is the only one with any different content. No particular reason to own that many, especially with 4 save slots per game, but they aren't going anywhere. Maybe I'm strange, but I think it's normal to acquire duplicates that you don't intend to get rid of and we all do it for many different reasons.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm completely for getting other-region duplicates when there's a reason to, like Dynamite Headdy's JP version having a story and being easier (aka POSSIBLE) or JP Castlevania 3 having that sweet sweet VRC6 music.

Insert Coin (Level 0) scaleworm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I want to know what your thoughts are on owning multiples. I watch a lot of channels on You Tube where people will get multiple copies of a game because it was a good deal. They're intention is to use it to trade for something else. Now, I have a lot of multiples. I have different intentions though. I get them as spares and I do this with systems as well. I like to have one copy complete and then I like to get at least one backup copy in case something happens to the game. I never get a game that intend to get rid of. So, I never trade.

So, do you have multiple copies of games? If so, for what reason?
    Because I am an idiot, Obsessed with gaming via consoles, If the price is right, I buy them.
    I do have multiples, I confess, and yes I do not play them all, but have a great desire to do so, but IF an opportunity arises for me to get a BOX of games for pennies on the dollar ( 50 cents for Starcraft 64), then dude, I'm a Buyin' fool.

Money, via overwork and happy employment, affords my desire, and my mistress...she of the collector vice, is a demanding mistress.
    Game on!