Thread: F-Zero SNES Reprint: Where did they come from?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default F-Zero SNES Reprint: Where did they come from?

So I noticed nintendo must have reprinted F-zero on SNES recently because there are a TON of brand new sealed copies on eBay,and they're pretty cheap too.

Anyone know what the deal is with this? Why would nintendo have reprinted a SNES game at all in the last 10 years?

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEALED-LOT-O...item33807560f8

Nah, not reprinted recently. People are just cracking cases, selling them individually. Nothing super rare as you may have guessed

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Right, F-Zero and Super Tennis were probably the two most common first-party SNES games.
    (when the nearest K-mart closed after the 2002 bankruptcy, they didn't have many video games left, but they had many Super Tennises.
    ... and Kirby 64. Now I see I should've bought a few of those. )

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure that there was a reprint of most popular early (and therefore both small in size and cheap to make) SNES games. This also explains why some games like SimCity have multiple differing designs and ESRB ratings.

Old:
    Newer:
    Newest:

The market really doesn't discriminate on value based on the version, though, unlike PS greatest hits. It's sort of like how the majesco game gear game reprints aren't worth less than old SEGA ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unless the original carts had signifigant differences. Like first run Zelda gold carts, over reprint grey cart versions.

I've seen a couple of different variants of Super Mario World labels out there. Among others.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    The market really doesn't discriminate on value based on the version, though, unlike PS greatest hits. It's sort of like how the majesco game gear game reprints aren't worth less than old SEGA ones.
    If you collect boxed games or sealed games there can be quite a difference in price between greatest hits and original versions. Alot of people dont notice the players choice emblem on snes carts, so carts will generally sell for the same amount. Boxed/sealed versions of games like zelda and f-zero are harder to find than their players choice counterparts, especially sealed games.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    I'm pretty sure that there was a reprint of most popular early (and therefore both small in size and cheap to make) SNES games. This also explains why some games like SimCity have multiple differing designs and ESRB ratings.

Old:
    Newer:
    Newest:

Not correct at all. The Majesco re-releases of both Game Gear and SNES games are worth significantly less than the original release versions, especially when you're talking about sealed. I would imagine it's the same with complete copies especially since Majesco cheaped out on the labels, boxes and manauls for a number of games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Not correct at all. The Majesco re-releases of both Game Gear and SNES games are worth significantly less than the original release versions, especially when you're talking about sealed. I would imagine it's the same with complete copies especially since Majesco cheaped out on the labels, boxes and manauls for a number of games.
    I'll echo this as well. The boxes, cartridge plastic and labels (and sometimes the instruction booklets) were all lower quality on the Majesco re-releases, making them less desirable unless you're just looking to play the game.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The only first-party SNES games I can recall getting reprints aside from Player's Choice are Super Mario World and StarFox (the original carts with a flat front bottom, and the slim carts with the concave front). However, both of those are very common games in both variations, so that is why I don't think there's much of a value difference.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    The only first-party SNES games I can recall getting reprints aside from Player's Choice are Super Mario World and StarFox (the original carts with a flat front bottom, and the slim carts with the concave front). However, both of those are very common games in both variations, so that is why I don't think there's much of a value difference.
    Actually, a CiB super mario world is rather valuable since most people got it boxless as a system pack-in. Cart-only, they are rather common, though.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I was referring to the cart itself. I know the SMW box is quite valuable, but the cart and manual are not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Personally I think people tend to overestimate the actual manufacturing numbers on reprints.

E rated on SNES means 1998, when even US Saturn was near its death.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    Right, F-Zero and Super Tennis were probably the two most common first-party SNES games.
    (when the nearest K-mart closed after the 2002 bankruptcy, they didn't have many video games left, but they had many Super Tennises.
    ... and Kirby 64. Now I see I should've bought a few of those. )
    I really think Super Tennis simply didn't sell. I don't think it's nearly as plentiful as F-Zero, but rather that nobody gave a shit about it.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    I'll echo this as well. The boxes, cartridge plastic and labels (and sometimes the instruction booklets) were all lower quality on the Majesco re-releases, making them less desirable unless you're just looking to play the game.
    3rd.

Some SNES carts don't even have the printed label on the back, but rather molded-in info and none of the Mexico carts used the dye-sublimation labels of the older releases and are really easy to muck up :/

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeh! Just bought a sealed F-Zero. Its hard to beat a sealed snes game for $19.95 shipped. If anything if I get bored with it sitting on my shelf I can open it, sort through the papers and smell it, and throw it away and I still would call it money well spent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dashopepper View Post
    Yeh! Just bought a sealed F-Zero. Its hard to beat a sealed snes game for $19.95 shipped. If anything if I get bored with it sitting on my shelf I can open it, sort through the papers and smell it, and throw it away and I still would call it money well spent.
    Indeed! As I've said (many years ago) and to paraphrase Solid Snake, "You know a lot about collecting, but you don't know how good a sealed game smells in the morning."