Thread: Lot of 10 (very) early EGMs for sale

Cherry (Level 1) Canadian Psycho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Lot of 10 (very) early EGMs for sale

All are very clean. The one with the "Turbografx vs Genesis" cover is basically unused.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281075648417...84.m1555.l2649

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

those look to be in fantastic shape. Hoping I have the extra cash, Ive got my eye on these! Best of luck to you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The ones with Super C, Strider and Castlevania 3 on the cover have some wear on the spine, but nothing alarming. Inside, the pages are crisp and clean. The ones with Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mafat Conspiracy on the cover are also "like new", as far as I'm concerned.

I had no idea there would be as much interest as there is right now for those. I would have been happy getting my starting price, above that is just gravy (especially as I have been on a big purchasing spree the past few months ;-)). I got the mags as part of a bundle a couple of years ago. The guy who sold them to me took great care of his game and magazine collections.
    Last edited by Canadian Psycho; 03-11-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I gotta see which ones I need so I'll be watching this one.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Psycho View Post
    I had no idea there would be as much interest as there is right now for those.
    Early EGM magazines are just awesome, way better publications than most earlier VG related magazines. Id go as far to say that they have much more substantial and better content than Nintendo Power magazines. Im not surprised these have been bid up so much with 7 days to go. It looks like you have some very early ones also. At my last job I had a huge stack of maybe 30 EGM magazines from around 91-93, Id pass them out to coworkers to read while we were working and everybody loved them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As someone who has read (and still owns) a very substantial number of Nintendo Power and EGM mags from 1989+, I can safely say that the era's writing in NP is much more professional. The layout is also superior to EGM, which is rather amateurish (reading them with the benefit of hindsight, some of the complaints from Steve Harris et. al in editorials/reviews are also quite "fanboyish", which is admittedly funny and charming. I will say that EGM feels much more "human", whereas NP is basically a thick corporate flyer disguised as a magazine).

(I am keeping all of my EGMs from issue no 14 on up though (Mega Man 3 is on the cover, if I recall correctly), as it is the first one my then 13 year-old self purchased in a bookstore - I even remember the day: it was a weekday (Monday?), the Pittsburgh Pirates were playing against the Cincinnati Reds in the National League championship series! lol)

P.S. I agree with you that from 1992-(but mostly) 1993 on up, EGM was awesome. Their import coverage was amazing. Page upon page of incredible looking Japanese games I was drooling all over... The 16-bit era was such a golden age. Still, I have good memories about the mag around 1997-1998 (1996 was terrible IMO) and am still looking to buy some of the issues I miss from those days. Aside from eBay, I don't know where to look though.
    Last edited by Canadian Psycho; 03-12-2013 at 12:18 PM.