Thread: PS3 launch 60GB, Cool it or leave it?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS3 launch 60GB, Cool it or leave it?

I arrived really late into the lifecycle of the PS3 after rescuing an original 80GB big boned model from a pawn shop. Since then I've really enjoyed my time with it, and last week I bought a lightly used 60GB launch model (4 USB, chrome, wi-fi, PS2 support). So far, it seems I actually did not get screwed over!

I went into this knowing that this was the least reliable model. Should I look into cooling solutions, or just run it until it decideds to 'throw a YLOD (from a rather funny e-bay listing)?'

I put a basic server heat sensor near the back and side and found it's throwing out about 125F. I'm keeping it fully ventilated on all sides, no obstructions, lying flat (sitting on my desk, actually). It runs a lot hotter than my 80GB (about 95F). It seems the fan is at the second level (starts off slow, and then kicks up a notch, still not very loud).

What do other owners say? Rip off the warranty seal and put in an APS 226 power supply? Add refreshed thermal paste and pads? Just run it and enjoy?

What are my controller options besides new at $50, or a used $45 pad at GS? Any good deals on used Sony brand controllers anywhere? Please throw out some links!

Opinions welcome!
    Last edited by ifkz; 03-10-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Use it like normal and then do the Thermal Paste fix when you need to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

If this PS3 has vents on the bottom then do what I do with my Xbox 360. Find a wire mesh letter tray, flip it upside down, then put the PS3 on it. When you put the machine on the desk then you block any vents that are on the bottom. By placing the unit on the letter tray then you will open up these vents because you are raising it off of the desk. This means that all possible air vents are now open and ventilation will be greatly improved. Does wonders for my unit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X360.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	6397
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Use it like normal and then do the Thermal Paste fix when you need to.
    Well, if you do, do so with the knowledge that like with early gen 360s, once the CPU and motherboard have succumbed to thermal failure that any "repair" work is only temporarily extending the life of the console. No DIY fix is permanent.

I do agree that the mesh stand is a decent idea. Anything to keep airflow circulating.

No word on deals on controllers, but Sony does bundle DS3 controllers with first party titles at decent prices.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Guaranteed it WILL fail eventually. The internal power supply will make the system YLOD and although you can fix it and it will work a while longer it will fail again. Try looking for a way to make the power supply external or find a replacement power supply from the later 60GB ps3 "i think" , though you will have to research that, it may have been the later 40GB, they reduced the watts by around 25 I believe and the bottom is made of plastic instead of metal. Overall though making the power supply external would be the best solution and there are tutorials on how to do it.

It's worth trying to make it last as it is currently the best and most convenient way to play ps2 games upscaled, looks quite a bit better and was one of the best reasons to own a ps3 originally.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 03-11-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would use the 60GB model sparingly and just keep it in a well ventilated area.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

If you are comfortable doing the work, I'd say it is worth doing all the 'stuff'. The thermal paste is the most important, IMO (although I did that and mine still failed a couple years later), and doing the external power supply is also a great mod and worthwhile. I read about getting the better fan in there, too, but I'm not convinced that is as big a deal. All of it should only take you a few hours so long as you have everything you need ready to go.

All that said, I'm pretty happy with my slim that I have now. More importantly, I'm not anxious about a YLOD every time I turn it on. The lack of PS2 support sucks by comparison, but realistically I wouldn't use it much these days anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interestingly enough I've never had any problems with either of my launch 60 gig PS3 units and I had gotten both secondhand at yard sales. One I sold to a dude who's original 60 gig YLOD on him and the other I kept because it still has linux installed on it. They probably lasted so long because I haven't used either much outside of the occassional testing. I use my PS3 slim for all my gaming and bluray needs and although I'd like to use my remaining 60 gig for my PS2 gaming I'm just not willing to take that chance. So get as much gaming as you can out of that. After it dies get a slim as a permanent replacement because those things are very reliable.

As for controllers, there are tons of good deals to be found on craigs list, including new factory sealed ones for $25-$40(atleast around here). I even found a sixaxis at one of the thrift shops around here for $3. If you want to get one in stores just wait until around the holidays(I'm assuming you already have a controller to use for now since you said you've picked up two PS3's so far) because there are always deals on all controllers then. And make sure to check your local papers ad circulars for other deals every week.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Launch PS3 is a neat way to play PS2 however. Don't know its reliability when used that way but it shouldn't be too bad.