Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocky and Rocky Glitch

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pocky and Rocky Glitch

For some reason the game store around me had some very good prices on games because I picked up Pocky and Rocky SNES for $12, Mega Man X for $10 and Knights of the Round for $15. Pocky and Rocky had a permanent marker X on the front but I took a Magic eraser to it and it came right off. So me and my brother start it up and for 1 second the screen is garbled letters and then the game starts. Then on the Graveyard level you cant see our Health and the fog is replaced by a bunch of floating numbers and letters. This lasts until the first boss talks (which is invisible) and then his words float around the screen.

I've looked up this and have seen other glitches where the fog is inverted and stuff. Anyone else have problems with the fog? I've cleaned it and started it about 10 times and the glitch is always the same Except for sometimes the opening cut scene has layers missing where the pyramid will be glitched out.

PS. This game is totally kick ass and you get used to the letters waving on the screen after awhile.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-03-10_13-09-19_169.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	6394

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What are you cleaning it with? A cart that's been neglected for a long time can build up deposits and corrosion. It may take a little more than isopropyl and a Q-tip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Yeah and if the game is that bad to begin with you may want to clean the pins in the system now, too. Someone here recommended Brasso and since I've tried it myself I've never looked back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Game is in really really good condition. I cleaned it with a Q-tip and alcohol after the first issue. After it continued I opened it up and everything looked great. I'll try cleaning my system though, I have been putting a lot of games through it lately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hit the pins with a magic eraser or some Brasso as previously recommended. You might be surprised...

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could be bit rot, replay the level and if this happens everytime then thats ur problem. Happened to me with a copy of Chomakaimura for Super Famicom, everytime youd get to the mid point of level 2 all the characters turn into blocky number code, everytime at that exact point in the game. It sucks but its becoming a reality as these games age.

However if you replay the game and it doesnt glitch out at that point, or it glitches at a different point where it hasnt before then ur dealing with dirty contacts on the cart or in your snes which is an easy fix as long as you use the correct cleaner like the guys mentioned above..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've had 3 different copies of Pocky so I knew it wasn't the game. From what I figured out, it was the particular system I was using. I have 4 different SNES consoles but all are different revisions. I'll just paste what I had asked in a few different forums. Also, while you're at it, see if Super Ghouls and Ghosts is glitchy (that is if you have the game).

I have 4 model-1 SNES systems right now: SHVC-CPU-01, SNS-GPM-CPU-01, SNS-GPM-CPU-02, and the SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. Now, this is concerning a couple of games and maybe even more. Pocky & Rocky and Super Ghouls and Ghosts are glitchy as hell on my SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. Pocky & Rocky will flicker right when you turn it on and even sometimes freeze up when I get about 5 minutes or so into it. On SGaG, Arthur is very glitchy when he moves and the game all around is just a mess to play with the glitchy-ass graphics.

When I play these 2 games on any of the other variants I own, there are no problems whatsoever. Both games play smoothly and no freezingor glitches. Is anyone else having these problems on their SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01 when they play these 2 games? If you don't know and don't mind, check them out on your SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01 (if you're sure you have this variant) and see if they are just as glitchy. Reading through different threads here and on other gaming forums, the SNES variant one would prefer to own (other than the SNES 2/Jr) is the SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. I have thoroughly cleaned the games' contacts and all of my systems' pin connectors. And it also should be noted than I'm using the cartridges and not a Powerpak/Everdrive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j1e View Post
    Reading through different threads here and on other gaming forums, the SNES variant one would prefer to own (other than the SNES 2/Jr) is the SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01.
    Interesting. Why?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmaster View Post
    Someone here recommended Brasso and since I've tried it myself I've never looked back.
    You're welcome, Nesmaster.

I shall never tire of spreading the gospel of Brasso.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Interesting. Why?
    This will give you plenty of info on the model 1 SNES variants. http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...-SNES-revision

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine Has a pretty late serial number, UN31291995 [3]. I haven't tried it on any of my other systems yet but I have a jr. and 3 or 4 other consoles I could try out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    You're welcome, Nesmaster.

I shall never tire of spreading the gospel of Brasso.
    Thanks I couldn't remember who posted about it, but I read it here first!

Interesting link there regarding revisions, gonna have to get a 1CHIP version soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j1e View Post
    I have 4 model-1 SNES systems right now: SHVC-CPU-01, SNS-GPM-CPU-01, SNS-GPM-CPU-02, and the SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. Now, this is concerning a couple of games and maybe even more. Pocky & Rocky and Super Ghouls and Ghosts are glitchy as hell on my SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. Pocky & Rocky will flicker right when you turn it on and even sometimes freeze up when I get about 5 minutes or so into it. On SGaG, Arthur is very glitchy when he moves and the game all around is just a mess to play with the glitchy-ass graphics.

When I play these 2 games on any of the other variants I own, there are no problems whatsoever. Both games play smoothly and no freezingor glitches. Is anyone else having these problems on their SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01 when they play these 2 games? If you don't know and don't mind, check them out on your SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01 (if you're sure you have this variant) and see if they are just as glitchy. Reading through different threads here and on other gaming forums, the SNES variant one would prefer to own (other than the SNES 2/Jr) is the SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. I have thoroughly cleaned the games' contacts and all of my systems' pin connectors. And it also should be noted than I'm using the cartridges and not a Powerpak/Everdrive.
    I actually had a SNES Jr. that wouldn't play Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts worth a crap. The attract screens, startup, map, all that would work fine. Then the game would start and everything would go to pot. It was almost like the graphics and sound were running slower than the rest of the core game. Graphics would all be there but slowly begin to break up. Terrain, platforms, and objects would break away from where the game would register their true locations. For example you could walk through a pillar and then get caught against an open space. The open space you were caught against was actually where the pillar was registered in the program code, the objects were just losing sync with what they were supposed to be representing. The whole thing was pretty bizarre to be honest. The cartridge worked fine in my other systems but for whatever reason was a no go in the SNES Jr. That was the only problem I had with that system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So after playing around 12 hours and having it be glitchy every time, I got out my old yellowed broken piece of crap snes from 92' and it turns out the thing plays fine. Looks like the theory of late model SNES' not playing certain games properly could be correct.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, interesting. That would mean the 1-CHIP is NOT the favored SNES revision to have. Unless, of course, we have the only 1-CHIPs that won't play Pocky & Rocky. I have close to 200 SNES games, and I'm pretty sure the only ones in my collection that wouldn't play properly on the 1-CHIP are Pocky and Super Ghouls & Ghosts. I wonder how many more there are?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've heard the stories of the snes model 2 not liking super gng but what exactly will it fail to do? I've got the game and system but have never actually used it on there as I've always had an original model up until real recently.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry for reviving a month old thread. Just wanted to get this information out there.

I purchased Pocky and Rocky this week and when my game was glitching after repeated cleaning I went to google and found this thread. I decided to dump the game and test my CRC with No-Intro, it matches. I ran the game on my SD2SNES and it has no graphical glitches.

I think the 1CHIP claim is the most logical at this point. =)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Would you happen to have a Super Ghouls and Ghosts cart you could try? I wonder just how many games get screwy with the 1CHIP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I can do without Pocky & Rocky and Super Ghouls N Ghosts.

At this point videophile type reasons to use 1CHIP or newer would outweigh them IMO.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow that's an interesting read there on that other forum on the 4 styles of the old SNES.

I wonder without cracking them open if you can eyeball a 1CHIP model as perhaps that would be the best one to get like if there's a serial # range for the year it was in production.