Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When Will FPS Games Stop Being So Popular?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When Adventure Games return to save us all.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

What Rob2600 said.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If the technology had allowed, I'm sure FPS games would be alive and well today even if the genre had gotten its mainstream start 10-15 years earlier than it did. That genre, the sports genre, and the racing genre are three that are always going to remain perennial standards for videogaming. I just wish the growth in online capabilities hadn't done so much damage to the single player campaigns for these types of games.

I had my fill of online FPS's after a long fling with Half-Life 15 years ago and a good bit of time with several other games the next few years on PC's. So I have no desire even after all of this time to bother with it all, particularly since it seems to have taken a step backwards on console's in many ways to modes more akin to the basic deathmatch modes PC gamers became so familiar with back in the 1990's.

And after getting my start on PC's, I can only deal with gamepad control in these games in slower paced single player campaigns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    If the technology had allowed, I'm sure FPS games would be alive and well today even if the genre had gotten its mainstream start 10-15 years earlier than it did. That genre, the sports genre, and the racing genre are three that are always going to remain perennial standards for videogaming.
    Yes, but unlike FPS games today, sports and racing games have never been a dominant genre. They've always been there in the background with the occasional big hit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Racing games have never been at the top of the list so I think that's a valid point even though it has always been a major genre throughout the history of gaming. But I'd say sports games certainly have been regularly vying for the top for generations. For instance I see just as much sports activity on my online friends list, particularly with EA's football series, as I see FPS activity.

But my primary point wasn't to rank the popularity of genres. I simply see no reason why there should be an expectation that this genre should decrease significantly in importance anytime soon. First person shooters along with the sports genre, the racing game genre, and for casual gaming the puzzle genre are all here to stay. And I don't see any of them ever joining the likes of space shooters as long as videogaming exists or see a reason to ever expect that they will.

They're videogaming's perennials. They're not just something people are having a brief fling with that has somehow outlasted its stay compared to past examples like the 2D and then 3D platforming genres that have almost been relegated to a tiny niche not much better off than space shooters beyond Nintendo's own offerings.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-12-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Racing games have never been at the top of the list
    Except for Mario Kart. There's a racing game series where it's one of the only video games certain people play.

When will FPS games stop being popular? Maybe when Lil Wayne stops rapping. They both hit their peak in popularity around the same time and helped cause their respective industries to go to being the same tired stuff again and again. Maybe when he hangs up his mic and starts skateboarding as his main thing, games like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater will make a comeback and he'll be a playable character. I'm just kidding but I may be onto something...
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think though that DOOM made FPS insanely popular, but that was on the computer side of gaming. Then when Microsoft made their Xbox of course an FPS designed for it (Halo) became popular and gave pc gamers who would buy a console their biggest reason to.

To me though, its killing creativity in the industry. Games used to have such cool ideas in it, now that there are better graphics just think of how awesome fantasy worlds would look like now. Instead these games are just making you worry about what guns you have, and humans you play as killing other people in real life looking worlds, or alien worlds that arent too fantasy inspired. Platformers in the past had so much variety, you HAD to come up with different types of attacking enemies or then youd just be a rip off of Mario or Sonic. Now everyone shoots a gun......Its just too limiting and all this potential isnt being reached by most AAA titles.
    Last edited by SOL BADGUY; 03-13-2013 at 06:27 AM.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From a very, VERY biased perspective, I miss when platformers were the big thing. Sure, a lot of them were samey and safe, just like FPSes are today, but there was still a good deal of CREATIVITY involved. People actually had to design characters for them, players, enemies and bosses alike, and overall they were a lot more varied than FPSes are today. Sure, there was three bubsies for every sonic, but even the BUBSIES took effort. With FPSes, you can make a generic terrorist mook with little to no effort whatsoever and still sell well.

The same goes for fighting games. Yeah, there's more fighter's histories and SF2 knockoffs than anything, but there was still a lot of creative work involved in designing the characters for most, and making them memorable by looks alone.

Still, you can't hold back the progression of technology or change the mindset of a generation of kids that are growing up on FPSes, and you can't even hold back the fact that most modern platformers are simplified and overtutorialized for the kids that can't play "daddy's gun games" yet. However, you CAN find the diamonds in the rough in ANY oversaturated genre and enjoy them for what they are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Except for Mario Kart. There's a racing game series where it's one of the only video games certain people play.

When will FPS games stop being popular? Maybe when Lil Wayne stops rapping. They both hit their peak in popularity around the same time and helped cause their respective industries to go to being the same tired stuff again and again. Maybe when he hangs up his mic and starts skateboarding as his main thing, games like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater will make a comeback and he'll be a playable character. I'm just kidding but I may be onto something...
    There's so little racing in today's kart racers (Unlike Super Mario Kart) that I personally consider it its own genre.

Games with guns are always going to be there. The only reason the FPS didn't appear for years was technology restraints. It's a natural genre for videogaming and I can't imagine the FPS genre ever dying out or becoming a niche. Hopefully it retracts a bit as the freshness of it on consoles starts to wear thin (Particularly the online component which really was almost nonexistent on consoles not very long ago). But I think that's the best those that dislike the popularity of this genre can hope for barring the liberal segment of the population successfully stigmatizing such digital violence to such a degree that the customer base disappears for harmless entertainment that features it.

I don't even think that there's hope that epic single player campaigns can ever regain some of their lost importance. Beyond hopefully the occasional exception like Half-Life 3, I think single player campaigns will continue to take a backseat and that we will see more games ignore that mode entirely (Which is what saddens me the most since I wouldn't mind this situation nearly as much if games like Half-Life 2 became routine rather than the exception; 5 hour single player "afterthoughts" aren't my idea of great campaigns).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-13-2015 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    As long as there's a bunch of suckers willing to rebuy the same game every year with the same controls, same general physics, modes, and a new coat of paint any child could get good at with some time invested they'll keep catering to that market as its safe money.
    You could say that about sports games as well. Some fps games do recycle the same modes, etc but they aren't all like that.

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    World of Warcraft is full of mean, abusive players too. It's not remotely limited to FPS games.
    Yup. I've dealt with jackasses in UNO(of all games) a number of times. You'd think that in a 4 person lobby/game everyone could be civil but unfortunately thats just not how it is.

As for the topic at hand, the FPS genre isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The main Halo and Battlefield games move 10 million+ units and Call of Duty games move 15-20 million+ units. And then theres all the other popular fps games that move 3-7 million units. As long as theres a nice mix of variety and the familiar I can easily see fps games dominating the entire next gen as well. That doesn't mean there won't be room for other games but the popularity of FPS games isn't likely to be surpassed anytime soon. And thats fine with me because it's still my favorite genre.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Yup. I've dealt with jackasses in UNO(of all games) a number of times.
    This reminds me of the Uno Terrorist.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/d05...-from-excuseme
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-13-2013 at 11:09 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.