Thread: Actually playing SimCity: some impressions

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Actually playing SimCity: some impressions

So it seems EA/Maxis solved SimCity's major problem by just making a ton of new servers. For the moment, it seems to have worked. I can actually talk about what I've experienced in the game so far. This is my first SimCity that I'm putting time into, I've played the others only briefly and already I have some things to note about the new one:

-I don't get why the cities are so small. It may just be a result of my lack of experience in urban planning, but a 2kmx2km square city seems way too small, especially compared to what they did in earlier SimCity games.
    -Why is there no way to put in a subway system? Why do I have to rely on trams and streetcars?
    -Why do you essentially have to run multiple cities just to run one well? For example, you need the combined effort of several cities to build things like an international airport.
    -No terraforming before you layout your city. WTF is all I can say.

I'm 99% sure EA is saving all of these things except for the inter-city cooperationfor "SimCity XXL Cities Expansion Pack Powered by Diesel" or something like that, just kind of makes me mad that they took so much out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Never played the new game but I absolutely love the other Sim City games on PC and the SNES Sim City is one of my favorite SNES games. For some reason this game dosen't look right to me. I know they use that weird camera effect to make the cities like toy models in what I assume to be just a single view mode (I could not stand having the top and bottom of my screen blurry all the time). However, although pretty it seems a little........empty. I don't know, it could be just me. Regardless of all the complaints I will still buy this game at around $20 so hopefully by then they will have a bunch of the problems ironed out.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    So it seems EA/Maxis solved SimCity's major problem by just making a ton of new servers. For the moment, it seems to have worked. I can actually talk about what I've experienced in the game so far. This is my first SimCity that I'm putting time into, I've played the others only briefly and already I have some things to note about the new one:

-I don't get why the cities are so small. It may just be a result of my lack of experience in urban planning, but a 2kmx2km square city seems way too small, especially compared to what they did in earlier SimCity games.
    -Why is there no way to put in a subway system? Why do I have to rely on trams and streetcars?
    -Why do you essentially have to run multiple cities just to run one well? For example, you need the combined effort of several cities to build things like an international airport.
    -No terraforming before you layout your city. WTF is all I can say.

I'm 99% sure EA is saving all of these things except for the inter-city cooperationfor "SimCity XXL Cities Expansion Pack Powered by Diesel" or something like that, just kind of makes me mad that they took so much out.
    I'll field these ones. 1)DLC/Sequel 2)DLC/Sequel 3)DLC/Sequel 4)DLC/Sequel
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Why is there no way to put in a subway system? Why do I have to rely on trams and streetcars?
    Trams and streetcars are the same thing. I hated Sim City 4 and barely played it as a result, but I never had such things in the earlier PC games or on consoles or handhelds. So that's nice if that has been added (Or carried over from SC4). There was just commuter rail along with subways and buses in some games for mass transit options.

Did they remove regular commuter and freight rail like the earlier games always had?