Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 80

Thread: What's your opinion on collecting sealed games or collecting for the sake of collecting

  1. #1
    Banned

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    290
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

    Default What's your opinion on collecting sealed games or collecting for the sake of collecting

    I know how this community feels about the VGA and the process and was wondering what do you think of people who collect sealed games or collect knowing that they will never play the games as there isn't enough time.

    It seems some of these collectors play a game of commercialism rather then actually playing the video games themselves. Like it's become a bragging hobby. Who ever has the most income and the most disposable with the rarest and best stuff wins.

    I bought this up because I seen a post from another site where someone had about 300 or so PSP games and half of them were sealed. The part that was stupid to me IMO was that person said he probably was never going to open them or play them.

    That persons theory was I shouldn't care how someone else spends their money. Which is true. I went on to explain the silly concept about his collecting habits but someone is going to do what they want with their own money, I get that. I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks this concept is stupid like me.

    People nowadays shop for video games more then they are playing them. Then they play pac-man for one hour a week and call themselves a hardcore gamer just beacuse they own a lot of video games.


    IMO a hardcore gamer is the dude that comes to your house and plays one of your sealed games that's sitting on your shelf for years. Neither person have played the game before. And the person who owns the game gets their ass kicked by someone who's never even heard of the game. That guy that beats your high score 10/10 times and you can never beat his score or beat him in a particular game. That is the hardcore gamer to me.

    When I think "hardcore" I think Billy Mitchell and hot sauce. Not some guy with a good income that can afford to buy a lot of games they are never going to play.
    Last edited by needler420; 03-12-2013 at 03:29 PM.

  2. #2
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,273
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    I know how this community feels about the VGA and the process and was wondering what do you think of people who collect sealed games or collect knowing that they will never play the games as there isn't enough time.

    It seems some of these collectors play a game of commercialism rather then actually playing the video games themselves. Like it's become a bragging hobby. Who ever has the most income and the most disposable with the rarest and best stuff wins.

    I bought this up because I seen a post from another site where someone had about 300 or so PSP games and half of them were sealed. The part that was stupid to me IMO was that person said he probably was never going to open them or play them.

    That persons theory was I shouldn't care how someone else spends their money. Which is true. I went on to explain the silly concept about his collecting habits but someone is going to do what they want with their own money, I get that. I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks this concept is stupid like me.

    People nowadays shop for video games more then they are playing them. Then they play pac-man for one hour a week and call themselves a hardcore gamer just beacuse they own a lot of video games.


    IMO a hardcore gamer is the dude that comes to your house and plays one of your sealed games that's sitting on your shelf for years. Neither person have played the game before. And the person who owns the game gets their ass kicked by someone who's never even heard of the game. That guy that beats your high score 10/10 times and you can never beat his score or beat him in a particular game. That is the hardcore gamer to me.

    When I think "hardcore" I think Billy Mitchell and hot sauce. Not some guy with a good income that can afford to buy a lot of games they are never going to play.
    Why does it matter? Do you go around seeking validation for the fact that you are a particular kind of collector or gamer? There are always going to be people richer than you, people who care about different things than you do and who lead their lives in ways you don't agree with. There is absolutely no point in spending even a second thinking about it. It has no impact on your life in any way.

  3. #3
    Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Parodius Duh!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,558
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I use to be really against it but now I just dont care, people collect all sorts of stupid shit for even stupider reasons. Theres plenty of games to go around, loose and sealed. I buy new/sealed ps1 games and open them just because Im insane about disc condition and dont want a single mark on my disc games, It feels great to open up a 12+ year old game and get that nice whiff of brand newness. I just absolutely despise the asshats that get a common sealed game graded at like VGA 90 and think its now worth $500 when ungraded its worth about $40, those people are a disease upon game collecting.
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 03-12-2013 at 06:01 PM.

  4. #4
    loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    590
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    The problem with game collecting as a whole by now is that people are trying to turn a single hobby into an industry (e.g., VGA). That will *never* work due to the fact that specialty collectors, as well as collectors as a whole aren't going to buy every game for its value (hell, most of us just frequent thrifts) and trying to make retro game collecting more about the profits than the games will only make the hobby die out faster.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 03-12-2013 at 06:06 PM.

  5. #5
    Pac-Man (Level 10) treismac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    2,025
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I suppose my only gripe against sealed game collectors and collectors for the sake of collecting is that they more than likely drive up the asking price of video games I want to actually play rather than seal up like they were Han Solo at Jabba's pad. Other than that, whatever. There are far worse problems in other subcultures. I mean, hell, have you ever actually encountered a VGA collector in real life? I know I haven't.

  6. #6
    Banana (Level 7) Atarileaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,483
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    The argument that never made sense to me is when video game collecting is compared to something as mundane as say, stamp or baseball card collecting - items that by their very nature are collectibles who's only value is in viewing and displaying them. Video games are not static objects, they're interactive and thus are meant to be played.

    I agree that "to each their own" however my opinion is that its a waste to collect video games that will never be played.

  7. #7
    loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    590
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    The argument that never made sense to me is when video game collecting is compared to something as mundane as say, stamp or baseball card collecting - items that by their very nature are collectibles who's only value is in viewing and displaying them. Video games are not static objects, they're interactive and thus are meant to be played.

    I agree that "to each their own" however my opinion is that its a waste to collect video games that will never be played.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. It's like buying a hard-to-find movie you've always wanted to see but never watching it. If you collect sealed games and never play them, though, at LEAST play the games you buy in emulators or something, though that sort of undermines the whole point of collecting in the first place.

  8. #8
    Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    279
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    When I think of "hardcore gamer" I think of a silly term that is completely meaningless.

  9. #9
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,273
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    The argument that never made sense to me is when video game collecting is compared to something as mundane as say, stamp or baseball card collecting - items that by their very nature are collectibles who's only value is in viewing and displaying them. Video games are not static objects, they're interactive and thus are meant to be played.

    I agree that "to each their own" however my opinion is that its a waste to collect video games that will never be played.
    Video games, at least physical release video games, are not inherently interactive nor are they meant to be anything other than a consumer product. They are just a piece of code copied onto some physical medium and packaged in either a box or a case for retail distribution.

    The problem with your argument is that logically that would mean that nobody should collect anything but loose games or maybe just loose games and instruction manuals. Clearly, many collectors think the box and other materials are important. I fail to see any difference between collecting a box or inserts and a sealed game.

    I also fail to see the difference between collecting sealed and collectors that have massive collections and can't possibly spend very long playing each game or maybe only play a game once and then never play it again and yet keep the game in their collection. The point is that there is no right or wrong way to collect and while you might think collecting anything other than what you'll play is a waste, for others it clearly isn't a waste.

  10. #10
    ConsoleGeek
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    456
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

    Default

    I don't understand it and will personally not buy a sealed game unless I get it for a good deal and can either turn around and sell it for a profit or open it up and play it. I have been building my collection lately but everything I own works and is meant to be played. I have friends come over for "retro night" where all we play are the retro consoles and games and don't touch the new consoles or computers.
    I do have a larger collection than I could honestly play through but part of that is I buy in bulk when I can save a ton of money plus I enjoy having my brother's kids over and seeming them get excited when they see all the games and know they can play any one of them they want. They seem to enjoy the raw selection of games over the games themselves.

  11. #11
    Banned

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    290
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Video games, at least physical release video games, are not inherently interactive nor are they meant to be anything other than a consumer product. They are just a piece of code copied onto some physical medium and packaged in either a box or a case for retail distribution.

    The problem with your argument is that logically that would mean that nobody should collect anything but loose games or maybe just loose games and instruction manuals. Clearly, many collectors think the box and other materials are important. I fail to see any difference between collecting a box or inserts and a sealed game.

    I also fail to see the difference between collecting sealed and collectors that have massive collections and can't possibly spend very long playing each game or maybe only play a game once and then never play it again and yet keep the game in their collection. The point is that there is no right or wrong way to collect and while you might think collecting anything other than what you'll play is a waste, for others it clearly isn't a waste.

    VGA collectors think they are sane when everyone else thinks they're insane. If you don't care what others think about you I suppose in theory you'd be right. You'd be surprised at how many people care and get butthurt about it though because they do care what others think.

  12. #12
    drowning in medals Ed Oscuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    16,550
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    VGA is dumb because they're asking way beyond what the market will sustain, there's little call for the "service," and the biggest sticking point is there aren't very many widely read referees on game prices or grading. It's a bit much to ask them to be honest but their interest is in distorting the market with their very questionable "value add."

    Investing in games is fine, but I'm here for playing games and I don't feel bad saying so. I do have a few games sealed still, and I won't open really rare stuff just to prove a point (because that could hurt my wallet) but it's not some kind of crime against humanity when a game is opened and played (or at least checked to make sure there's actually a game inside and not a dead Twinkie).

  13. #13
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,273
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    VGA collectors think they are sane when everyone else thinks they're insane. If you don't care what others think about you I suppose in theory you'd be right. You'd be surprised at how many people care and get butthurt about it though because they do care what others think.
    I don't think "everyone" thinks anything about anyone. There are a small handful of people on Internet forums like this one that have personal insecurities about their own situation in life that spend a substantial amount of time thinking about and obsessing about what other gamers and/or collectors do. I mean I can understand if someone has an opinion about things they have control over or which have a direct impact on their life. Heck, I can even understand people being involved in debate and taking action on larger social problems that have an impact on society as a whole and may have an impact on individuals as tax payers or citizens. This isn't one of those things. This is just someone being so insecure about their own choices and preferences in life that they have to repeatedly keep raising this same lame argument about how people who don't do something their way are stupid or not "true" gamers or collectors or whatever. It's really pretty sad.

  14. #14
    Banned

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    290
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I don't think "everyone" thinks anything about anyone. There are a small handful of people on Internet forums like this one that have personal insecurities about their own situation in life that spend a substantial amount of time thinking about and obsessing about what other gamers and/or collectors do. I mean I can understand if someone has an opinion about things they have control over or which have a direct impact on their life. Heck, I can even understand people being involved in debate and taking action on larger social problems that have an impact on society as a whole and may have an impact on individuals as tax payers or citizens. This isn't one of those things. This is just someone being so insecure about their own choices and preferences in life that they have to repeatedly keep raising this same lame argument about how people who don't do something their way are stupid or not "true" gamers or collectors or whatever. It's really pretty sad.
    Why do you have to have control over a situation to have an opinion about it? I can have an opinion on anything and I think VGA collectors and sealed game collectors are foolish.

  15. #15
    Pac-Man (Level 10) treismac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    2,025
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    They seem to enjoy the raw selection of games over the games themselves.
    There is something to be said for having a vast selection of games at your disposal to play, isn't there?

  16. #16
    loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    590
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I'll say one thing about having a lot of games; Having almost 100 games for the genesis alone, it takes fucking forever to decide what to play :P

  17. #17
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,273
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    Why do you have to have control over a situation to have an opinion about it? I can have an opinion on anything and I think VGA collectors and sealed game collectors are foolish.
    Great, but why spend the time and energy in creating a whole thread about it? If you're so secure and sure of your opinion, it seems like it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks. I suspect the truth is that you're not secure about your opinion and you may be jealous of other collectors or gamers and instead of facing what may be going wrong in your own life to make you feel that way, you have chosen the anonymity of an Internet forum to attack others who have no actual impact on your life whatsoever.

    I would never have a game graded or buy a VGA game because it's not of any interest to me. Having said that, I understand there are some collectors who like the service VGA provides, which is fine. I don't think other collectors regardless of their particular focus are foolish and I can only imagine how painful and empty your life must be if you constantly sit and judge the things other collectors do with their time and money.

  18. #18
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    375
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I admit I personally will never play most of my games but my best friend plays and I also collect for history preservation just like with everything else I collect. I never plan to sell and I do have sealed games. The people who buy 3 copies planning to get paid later are a joke. Like people who bought 100 copies of the death of Superman.

  19. #19
    Cherry (Level 1) Sysop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    207
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    I'll say one thing about having a lot of games; Having almost 100 games for the genesis alone, it takes fucking forever to decide what to play :P
    I have to agree with you there, it just gives you the feeling of going into a video game store and picking out a game which you wanted to play without knowing how the game plays like.

  20. #20
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    116
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    When I think "hardcore" I think Billy Mitchell and hot sauce.
    Can I put this in my sig?

    This should be the quote on the box for King of Kong.
    Retro Rundown Podcast
    RetroRundown.com

Similar Threads

  1. Xbox collecting question of opinion
    By chrisballer in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 08:11 PM
  2. Collecting Fullsets vs. Collecting Good Games
    By Rickstilwell1 in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 05:01 AM
  3. Collecting Consoles vs. Collecting Arcade Machines
    By IntvGene in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-06-2005, 12:45 AM
  4. Collecting sealed games, NON-NES
    By Captain Wrong in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 10:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •