Thread: Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Genesis Variants and inserts.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Default Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Genesis Variants and inserts.

Coinciding with my goal to collect all I can for my favorite games, I would like to start this topic to answer some questions regarding information such as which editions of the games came with what posters, registration cards and such. If there are people here on Digitpress who have bought these games new and kept everything since breaking the seal, they will probably be the most helpful in figuring these things out.

I would like to start with questions about the US Version of Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Genesis. I have pictures of particular posters to identify and other questions.

First off, we know that the most common variant of Sonic 1 in the USA is the NOT FOR RESALE that was bundled with the Genesis Model 1 in 1993.
    All of these have the REV 00 rom, correct?

So this should be familiar to everyone:

But all this is happens to be the box manual and game. It is commonly all you find when you buy "complete" games on ebay.

Now check out this next picture. This one actually came with a complete boxed Genesis 1/ Sonic 1 bundle. See the poster?:

Here's the poster by itself to help distinguish it. Now is this the only version of the poster ever to come with this NOT FOR RESALE version? It actually looks familiar to me. I may have had it at one point and it could have been thrown away:

Because when I was a kid things often got mixed up. In the box of my old NOT FOR RESALE copy of Sonic 1 that came with my system, I found these three posters stuffed in it:

Poster #1 (Sonic on front, folds out to Golden Axe II poster) - did this come with certain Sonic 1's or something else? If something else, what was it packaged with?:

Poster #2 - did this come with certain Sonic 1's or something else? If something else, what was it packaged with?:

Poster #3 - did this come with certain Sonic 1's or something else? If something else, what was it packaged with?:

At that age, the only four Sega Genesis games I had were Sonic 1 not for resale (new), Taz-Mania (used), Ms. Pac-Man (new), and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (new). Now Sonic the Hedgehog 2 I am pretty sure came with the poster that has Batman on the front cover and opens up to reveal the "Sonic 2: Are You Up 2 It" poster so there's no discrepency there. It is also worth noting that my Genesis bundle was not a HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS model and came with a controller that had a shorter cord and white markings. My mom's ex tried to give me a second Sega Genesis bundle with controllers that had red markings and longer cords (the earlier variant). Any extra posters may have possibly come from that and whatever games he had.

Next up we have the Sonic 1 plain:

I am assuming this variant of the game is the less common original release? Were these still produced in this form after the bundled NOT FOR RESALE version came out? Did all of these come with the same posters inside? And does anyone have any pictures of the extras that came inside this box along with the manual?

Do all of these also have the REV 00 rom, or do some of them have the REV 01 rom? Or is the REV 01 rom only found in the "Classic" version?

Which brings me to this:

What do the cartridge and manual bundled with this version look like? Do they say Not For Resale just because Sega quit printing the regular version of the label or did they keep the non-bundle Sonic 1's plain? I have seen 1 opened copy on ebay, but the cartridge is the Not For Resale version which makes me think it's just an incorrecty repackaged copy. Why would it say Not for Resale on the game when it's in a Classics box? Does this come with any posters or inserts?

Again, are any of these cartridges REV 00 still or is this the point at which they changed to REV 01 in the US?

Lastly here is just an interesting thing I didn't know existed. Sonic 1 actually has a player's guide that also covers Sonic 2:

If anyone can clear up any of these questions, I'll thank you to answer any ones that you can. In the edit I will rephrase the questions into statements saying "This IS what comes with this" and such.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Do you think someone like Digitpress Joe would know these things?

From a couple youtube unboxing videos, so far it seems like there were 4 possible posters that came with Sega Genesis Model 1's that were packed with Sonic the Hedgehog.

The only one I haven't seen in an unboxing video yet is the first one that is shown with the Sonic 1 box in my pictures.

It seems as if Poster #4 (not shown): Batman cover/Sonic 2: Are You Up 2 It? poster apparently came in the Genesis box, not Sonic the Hedgehog 2 as I had thought. And the Game Gear: Get a Grip poster came in boxes that had that one. So this must be from the 1st half of 1993 revision box.

A second video was strange as the guy had both of the above posters, plus the other Game Gear poster and the Sonic the Hedgehog/Golden Axe II poster shown above.

I am guessing that the second combo was from an earlier revision box from 1992 - which would have been the one my mom's ex tried to give me. I believe we kept 1 controller and all the paperwork from it, which explains how I ended up with all four posters instead of just two like one of the youtube unboxers.

Or am I wrong? Did all Genesis 1's packed with Sonic come with all four posters? None of the unboxing videos had sealed systems so it is possible one of the two guys was missing some ads. But the way the condition was I doubt he was missing anything. It looked like new.

But that still doesn't explain the Sonic the Hedgehog poster shown inside the Sonic 1 box. How do you get that? Were any of these posters packed inside the Sonic 1 game case or did they always come in the plastic bag with the system manual as I saw in one of the videos?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I get the feeling that Sonic guide book might have been by GamePro, but I'm not sure.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Sonic first came out in 1991, it would surprise me if all copies until 1993 were still the first revision. I thought I read years ago that there were at least 3 or 4 revisions produced, only the first had the debug menu accessible. I'd really have to look this up again to be sure. It wouldn't surprise me about the posters being different, the promo posters/ads would be changed throughout production of a title if that title was still in print for several years. Several games had different inserts available.

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    I get the feeling that Sonic guide book might have been by GamePro, but I'm not sure.
    It's an official guide book licensed by Sega, I'm not sure who it's made by at the moment but I don't think it's GamePro. I luckily have the same guide book, I found it just last year at a garage sale for $0.25. I was so happy to find it as we weren't sure about bothering to stop at that specific sale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Sonic first came out in 1991, it would surprise me if all copies until 1993 were still the first revision. I thought I read years ago that there were at least 3 or 4 revisions produced, only the first had the debug menu accessible. I'd really have to look this up again to be sure. It wouldn't surprise me about the posters being different, the promo posters/ads would be changed throughout production of a title if that title was still in print for several years. Several games had different inserts available.

It's an official guide book licensed by Sega, I'm not sure who it's made by at the moment but I don't think it's GamePro. I luckily have the same guide book, I found it just last year at a garage sale for $0.25. I was so happy to find it as we weren't sure about bothering to stop at that specific sale.
    Thanks for the pointers. Uh oh, sounds like trying to find all the different inserts/posters that could have come with a certain copy of the game could be a lot harder than collecting the games. It's just kind of weird that you could basically have a fully complete game just by getting any random poster you find in a different game's box and stick it in there... that sounds kind of too easy. There must be certain combos that just never happened. I don't think there would be any copies of Sonic 1 with this one I had that showed Sonic 3 on the cover of the poster for example. But who knows.

It makes me wonder though if certain Sega produced clamshell games didn't even come with a poster.

Is this the kind of thing you can only ever really know by either buying sealed and opening or verifying with an original owner that never separated papers from their boxes? Could be.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While it doesn't immediately pertain to sonic, perhaps the most interesting find I've ever had with posters/extra goodies inside was a complete in box bonanza bros for $2 from a (very foolish) reseller - Besides the standard box, manual, and cartridge, The game had that fold-out poster with sonic 1's boxart on it, two-sided with one being a SEGA promotion (for genesis and games) and the other Toejam and earl, and even more interesting, a PATENT SLIP for the bonanza bros game! I've still yet to figure out the purpose of its presence, but I hung onto everything inside.

If nothing else, at least this answers the question that those sonic posters weren't exclusive to inclusion in Sonic 1 games.

Also, IIRC, the additional parallax scrolling/effects revision of sonic 1 IS obtainable in the US, but the Spike Bug Fix version was NEVER released here as a cartridge. This should help you with Sonic 1 revisions:

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the...Game_Revisions
    Last edited by recorderdude; 03-17-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    While it doesn't immediately pertain to sonic, perhaps the most interesting find I've ever had with posters/extra goodies inside was a complete in box bonanza bros for $2 from a (very foolish) reseller - Besides the standard box, manual, and cartridge, The game had that fold-out poster with sonic 1's boxart on it, two-sided with one being a SEGA promotion (for genesis and games) and the other Toejam and earl, and even more interesting, a PATENT SLIP for the bonanza bros game! I've still yet to figure out the purpose of its presence, but I hung onto everything inside.

If nothing else, at least this answers the question that those sonic posters weren't exclusive to inclusion in Sonic 1 games.

Also, IIRC, the additional parallax scrolling/effects revision of sonic 1 IS obtainable in the US, but the Spike Bug Fix version was NEVER released here as a cartridge. This should help you with Sonic 1 revisions:

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the...Game_Revisions
    Right, but that site doesn't really tell you which box art you have to get in order to find the one with the parallax effects. I'm trying to find out before I have to buy 20 copies of the wrong one looking for a cart that does it. If it's pretty obvious the Classic edition always comes with the scrolling one then I would buy just one of those and be done with it.

So does the one with Sonic 1's cover on the front have the Toe Jam & Earl poster on the back of it? Or is that a separate poster? Just asking cause someone on another forum was curious. I'm trying to take scans of whatever I find to piece together and upload. (normal scanners aren't big enough for full posters)

Strawberry (Level 2) SEGA_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I picked up this guide 13 years ago from a thrift shop. I pulled it out last night, and here's what I found out:

- It's a special strategy guide created by Prima Publishing for Sega.

- It has walkthroughs for both the Genesis and Game Gear versions of Sonic 1 and 2.

- In the front, there is a portion of a story from one Archie Sonic comics.

- The back has a "special offers" section, with lots of exclusive Sonic merchandise. One of them is an awesome looking letterman's jacket.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Right, but that site doesn't really tell you which box art you have to get in order to find the one with the parallax effects. I'm trying to find out before I have to buy 20 copies of the wrong one looking for a cart that does it. If it's pretty obvious the Classic edition always comes with the scrolling one then I would buy just one of those and be done with it.

So does the one with Sonic 1's cover on the front have the Toe Jam & Earl poster on the back of it? Or is that a separate poster? Just asking cause someone on another forum was curious. I'm trying to take scans of whatever I find to piece together and upload. (normal scanners aren't big enough for full posters)
    it's on the back. Here's one of the ebay listings of the poster with pics of both sides: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toejam-and-E...item4ac26e0d3d

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    it's on the back. Here's one of the ebay listings of the poster with pics of both sides: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toejam-and-E...item4ac26e0d3d
    Oh cool! Thanks. Now I can confirm it with him.