Thread: Which games this gen, are actually worth way more than the $59.99 that they charged ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Which games this gen, are actually worth way more than the $59.99 that they charged ?

Here are a few that come to mind for me:

Fallout 3
    Skyrim
    Red Dead Redemption
    GTA 4
    Minecraft
    various call of duty games
    Bioshock
    Crackdown

Obviously, five of those are open-world games, with at the very LEAST, 40 or 50 hours of gameplay. I honestly felt guilty after getting games like Fallout 3 and GTA IV. It's like they gave me way more game than I actually deserved for the $59.99. I think if they initially charged $79.99 for those games, I couldn't really get pissed off at them, because I think their herculean efforts in those games was worth that. Those developers created gigantic interactive worlds to play around in. Pretty detailed and visually arresting worlds.

I'm not into the Call of Duty games, but my kids can play those things every day, for years. The gameplay is unending. It kind of reminds me of Madden '93 on the Sega Genesis. When Madden 93 came out in 1992, I could play that game for hours on end, every single day, for months and months, if not years. These Call of Duty games are kinda like that for people that are into them. I'm personally not a COD guy, but I can see the value there.

I'm also not into Minecraft, but I can see what it's done to the popular culture. My kids got it for Xbox Live, and they have put in redonkulous hours on that game. 90 percent of their friends have that game as well, and put in the same number of hours, or more.

Bioshock and Crackdown aren't particularly long games, but I just feel like they are two of the very best games of this past generation of gaming. Fallout 3 is actually my favorite game of this gen, overall, but Bioshock and Crackdown aren't far behind. I got way more than my $59.99 worth off those games.
    Last edited by WCP; 03-16-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Civilization V. Enough said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any Halo or Call of Duty. I can still get online in Halo 3(2007), Halo Reach(2010), MW2(2009), COD: Black Ops(2010), MW3(2011) and not have any problems getting in a game. Any game you can play online with random strangers for years and years after it was initially released(and of course is actually fun to play) is well worth the $60 and then some. I didn't actually pay $60 for any of those games(I always shop for deals) but they would have been worth it if I did.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Dragon's Dogma. It's a mixture of Elder Scrolls, Demon's Souls, and Shadow of the Colossus. The world isn't quite as large as Elder Scrolls titles, but still a fairly large world, larger than both the Souls titles put together, and larger than Shadow of the Colossus. On top of the world being as large as it is, the world is detailed similarly to Shadow of the Colossus where there are a lot of very well detailed areas that are scattered around, so more like the Souls games in this regard aside from open areas. The amazing boss battles are similar to those on the Souls games mixed with a bit Shadow of the Colossus, combined with gameplay that is somewhat a mixture of both as well.

Infamous 2. Doing all the main story missions and all the side quests, there are around 100 available missions. There's also the UGC mode where you can create your own missions anywhere in the game world. You can add pretty much any object in the game that isn't a major structure, any enemy, and any ally model.

Little Big Planet 2. Great game on its own, but the community levels give the game far more value. There's a lot of crap, but there are there are a lot of amazing community levels. If only you did the community levels that were chosen as Mm picks you'd get a lot of the better ones(hundreds,) but you'd still be missing out on the hidden few that have been unlucky or overlook.

The Saboteur and GTA4. The Saboteur and GTA4 had a lot of story content as well as additional content, but also have a lot of replay value if you're doing nothing more than causing mayhem. The Saboteur outdoes GTA4 on the amount of overall content though, as there are literally thousands of structures scattered throughout the game that you can go around destroying.

Just Cause 2. This game has a massive amount of content. There are a lot of story missions, but then a lot more side content. There are so many military bases in the game that have nothing to do with the games story that you can destroy, with just as many towns and villages that have military structures within them to destroy as well. It can get pretty repetitive but they really put a lot into the game.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post

The Saboteur and GTA4. The Saboteur and GTA4 had a lot of story content as well as additional content, but also have a lot of replay value if you're doing nothing more than causing mayhem. The Saboteur outdoes GTA4 on the amount of overall content though, as there are literally thousands of structures scattered throughout the game that you can go around destroying.

Just Cause 2. This game has a massive amount of content. There are a lot of story missions, but then a lot more side content. There are so many military bases in the game that have nothing to do with the games story that you can destroy, with just as many towns and villages that have military structures within them to destroy as well. It can get pretty repetitive but they really put a lot into the game.
    All true. I'm over 60 hours into Just Cause 2 and I could put dozens more into it. Finished the achievement list off and there's still tons to do.

Red Dead Redemption and the expansion, for length and quality, not much else comes close to #1 for me. Maybe Skyrim when I get all the DLC when the GOTY comes out. Borderlands 1 and 2 saw a lot of hours as well.

I'm calling it now and saying GTA V will be my new number one. Map size + free roam MP = ermahgerd.

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Red Dead Redemption
    I'll add Undead Nightmare as an even better deal. The game/add-on was originally $10, if I recall, but was basically a full length game. Plus a solid online multiplayer.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I only care about how much I like a game. If I thoroughly loved a game, I'll feel like I got my money's worth even if it only lasted for a few hours. I don't equate length to value. In fact, I'm more likely to find a game too long than too short, and that'll lessen its value to me. I'd rather put my time towards more worthwhile activities than slogging my way through an excessively long, overbloated game.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I only care about how much I like a game. If I thoroughly loved a game, I'll feel like I got my money's worth even if it only lasted for a few hours. I don't equate length to value. In fact, I'm more likely to find a game too long than too short, and that'll lessen its value to me. I'd rather put my time towards more worthwhile activities than slogging my way through an excessively long, overbloated game.
    Same here. Cause I mean if you had to pay money based on how many hours you put into a game, I would have spent over $1000 on Super Mario Bros. or Sonic the Hedgehog [SG] (my first two games) alone by now. I play those games over and over and over and never get tired of it.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've been wanting to get RDR + Undead Nightmare for a while now, just haven't found cash to put towards it.

If it's like Fallout 3, though, I'd best stay away.

For me, nothing has been worth $60, especially with all the awesome F2P stuff coming out. Yeah, I'll watch some ads. I'm sure when I get some more income going that might change a little bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

Mass Effect would be well worth the money even though I didn't pay full price for it.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's not just about the length of the games.

Sure, you look at my list, and most of the games are super long, open world type games. However, I also have Bioshock and Crackdown. Neither of those games is more than 15 hours in length. (Bioshock is like 12 hours or so, and Crackdown isn't that long unless you're trying to find every single orb). There are tons of other games I could list. For me, personally, I'd also rank the first Uncharted, and the first Motorstom.

In December of 2006, I imported Motorstorm from Japan. (for some reason, it came out there about 6 months early) . I paid like $93 for that game, but let me tell you.... I played the bejesus out of that thing. I mean, I wore that disk out. Call it launch goggles, or whatever, but I was hooked on Motorstorm in the beginning of the PS3 days. When Uncharted came out, I played it from start to finish, and for the most part, I enjoyed everything about that game besides the final boss. It was worth more than $60 to me. Wipeout HD on PSN was only $20 when it first came out, but I honestly think that game could be worth more than 60 to me, when I consider how many hours of enjoyment I got out of that thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Console wise I'd put it to the trilogies of Uncharted and Mass Effect. There's a huge pile of value there and the production values even as high as they are weren't used as a reason to eyecandy gloss over other parts being poor as they're all around awesome. The original Dead Space I think deserves a nod too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it depends on how much the individual likes/plays the game. Games like GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption are easily worth $60+ cuz you're gonna get at least a month of solid gameplay outta them. Games like Metal Gear 4 and Uncharted 3 are games that I feel are worth $60 even though you can beat the single player campaign in a few days, but these are games that I really enjoyed and played them through several times, so I feel I got my money's worth. Others might not feel these games are worth $60 simply because they play through them once in a few days and don't replay them. My personal list of games that I feel are worth more than $60 simply because of the amount of play time I got out of them are:

Metal Gear Solid 4
    Infamous 1 and 2
    Uncharted 1, 2, 3
    Red Dead Redemption
    GTA4
    Gran Turismo 5
    God of War 3
    Last edited by duffmanth; 03-18-2013 at 09:24 AM.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Roscksmith is super awesome, if you have a guitar you cant go wrong.

It was 90$ when it first came out, but I got it on sale late last year at target for 30$. Havent stopped playing it since.
    If I had known how awesome it was I wouldnt have waited and would have gladly paid 90$ for it.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Here are some others I didn't originally list.

Yakuza series. I list this because in every game you're in Kamurocho and a lot of the side content is from previous titles. However, I got the platinum in Yakuza 4 and currently have a character on EX Hard mode near getting the platinum on Yakuza 3, I've put in 60-80 hours in each game finishing all the additional content after going through normal mode only. In addition, there's the Ultimate Skill content available after completing each game which is based off system data so no data shown on how much time you're there.

WWE 13. While I haven't personally got my moneys worth out of this game yet, as I really don't play it often, I feel it's the best WWE game since Here Comes the Pain. It's not as good as any of the original Smackdown games or the highly praised wrestling titles, but it's the best and most playable to be released since and while missing some, it's got most types of matches. The game has your multiplayer mode, single player mode, in depth create a wrestler like every wrestling game that comes out now has, but there are other two main draws to this game, Attitude Era and Universe mode. Attitude Era mode sends you through the WCW/WWF ratings war and the time the WWF has been the best it's ever been, detailing the matches between the biggest superstars, atleast those that aren't part of other wrestling entities like TNA. Universe mode is basically a never ending story mode. You can fill the WWE roster with whatever characters you want, whether these characters are going to be part of Raw or Smackdown, etc, create PPV matches yourself or go with the games preset paperview matches that line up with the real world matches.

Test Drive Unlimited series The first title has one city, the island of Oahu, but there are over 300 races in that city and on the 360 version has other additional races. The second title has the island of Ibiza and then a remade island of Oahu. There are a couple thousand miles of road in this game, around 100 races to take part of and additional side stuff that pops up during different times of the day. In addition, you can create any race you want using any of the roads in the game as well as play other peoples created tracks. There's also a community center where people can create a track that will be up for a week, whoever wins most of the money that was bet on the race while the creator gets a small portion of it.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I'd always rather pay $20 for a game that's a year old over $60 for a game that just came out.

Having said that, my criteria for getting my money's worth is totally proportional to how much I've played it after my initial go at it, and whether or not I come back to it after moving on to something else.

Halo 3, Halo Reach and Fallout 3 are the ones that qualify for me personally. Halo 4 is getting there.

For Fallout 3, I just loved the world and didn't want to leave it. I bought some DLC to make sure that was the case.

For the Halo games, it's the RPG like elements of the multiplayer that keep me coming back. I'm an SR19 at this point, but I look forward to progressing to the higher levels and unlocking stuff that will make me better. Plus it's a social thing where I get together with some buddies on Tuesday nights and play for a few hours.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end