Thread: I want to send payment, but I can't?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Default I want to send payment, but I can't?

Has anyone run into this problem before? I won an eBay auction, but for the last few days, every time I attempt to pay, I get this message:

This recipient is currently unable to receive money.
    Your purchase couldn't be completed
    There's a problem with the merchant's PayPal account. Please try again later.

I sent the guy a message, but I haven't received a response. What else can I do at this point? I still want the item, and I don't want to get into any trouble with eBay for not paying. PayPal is the only payment option listed, and that's the only method I want to use anyway.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Has anyone run into this problem before? I won an eBay auction, but for the last few days, every time I attempt to pay, I get this message:

This recipient is currently unable to receive money.
    Your purchase couldn't be completed
    There's a problem with the merchant's PayPal account. Please try again later.

I sent the guy a message, but I haven't received a response. What else can I do at this point? I still want the item, and I don't want to get into any trouble with eBay for not paying. PayPal is the only payment option listed, and that's the only method I want to use anyway.
    I actually had that problem before. After I notifed the seller that he had to log into his paypal and get it straightened out it ended up working after all just after he told me I could just mail him a money order as I suggested if necessary. If you send a money order he/she could manually mark the payment as received once he/she got it (if he's honest).

As a buyer you have no risk opening a dispute either because buyers can't get bad feedback. You could dispute that they are being unresponsive/not letting you pay.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Had this happen with a new seller. I had to wait a few days for him to sort it out but once he emailed me back that it was working I could pay no problem. I guess it had something to do with being able to accept funds after authenticating the account or something.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, if it was a new seller, I'd assume it was something like that, but the guy I'm dealing with has been on eBay since 2001 and has a feedback score of 97. His most recent feedback is from December, although his most recent feedback as a seller was way back in 2007, so maybe he does need to set up a new PayPal account or something.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

At times this can be a very big red flag. I had a situation last year where someone hacked into the sellers account and so Paypal locked it for a period of time. I got the same message when I tried to pay. Ebay and Paypal will not take action against you for not paying in a situation like this and if they do, it's pretty simple to give them a call and explain the situation. You might get an e-mail within the next week cancelling the auction completely because the seller's account was compromised. I've received that e-mail a couple of times in the past year or so.