Thread: What's one thing that you regret selling/getting rid of?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What's one thing that you regret selling/getting rid of?

I have never really gotten rid of any of my gaming stuff (if I did I have probably bought it back at some point) But was wondering what things you guys wish you still had that you sold, gave away etc etc. For me it was my rather large comic book collection, after years and years of going to the comic shop every Wednesday and buying lots of books one day I just decided to stop buying and get rid of all of them. I had about 16 long boxes of comics all organized, sorted, bagged and boarded just how I wanted them, and I was pretty proud of it too. I posted the ad on Kijiji and the next day a buyer showed up, loaded up his van handed me a bunch of cash and left. The exact second I saw the van pulling out of the driveway I knew that I #@$!ed up and it left a pit in my stomach that still nags at me to this day.

I know this post got kind of long but what stories do you guys have that left you with regret?
    High Voltage Rock 'N' Roll
    Ride On

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Brand new 64DD dev kit with 5 blue disks. Never shoulda unloaded that thing.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

I am now kinda regretting selling my black label FF7 copy :/ oh well

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I sold something like 20 of my NES games to a local rental store in about 88-89 or so. Couldn't have been much later since I moved in 90 and it was near my old house. A few I later wound up rebuying (cart only, where as the ones I sold were CIB ) from Funcoland. That's how I discovered there was more than one version of Pro Wrestling out there. My original one, which I bought new when it first came out, had the bug where playing as King Slender made you go through twice as many matches to win the first championship, but the used one I got from Funcoland didn't have the bug.

Anyway, while I regretted it, I apparently didn't regret it enough, as I later wound up selling almost all my SNES and Genesis games (CIB) to Funco and some other similar places (via the mail, not in store). Boy do I ever regret that, especially ones like Phantasy Star 2 with the hintbook and everything.

Only thing I've sold since was WCW vs nWo for the N64 which I sold to Funcoland, but I don't regret that one as I'd imported Virtual Prowrestlng 64 which was the same exact game engine and had 99% of the guys from the other one, but had a bunch of extra guys and content as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Gamecube, and my Game Gear..

I sold the Gamecube because, well, I bought a Wii. I didn't need a Gamecube anymore.
    Then I got into importing and realized my Action Replay/Freeloader didn't work on the Wii. So I bought myself a new Gamecube...

The Game Gear I didn't play much...though shortly after I started missing it, a friend of my dad's was getting rid of his and gave it to my dad, who gave it to me.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

While I don't regret selling anything because whenever I did it was because I really had to, I do regret not collecting right in the first place. I bought too many things that nobody else wanted. When it came time to sell certain things, I really had a hard time getting rid of some of this stuff. For example, if you collect Atari 2600, Intellivision or Odyssey 2 commons make sure you get it really cheap to begin with and be pretty sure that you will always have room for them even after your collecting priorities change to games from later systems.

For example in 2011 I paid $10-$15 each shipped for about 10 complete in box Atari 2600 games one by one on ebay. I tried selling them in a lot on ebay many times and nobody bit until I threw in a couple untested systems from a thrift store and lowered the price to $40 shipped. 1 bid was all I got, and in the end I only got back $10 of the $125 total I think I spent to get the stuff. Nobody else was willing to pay anywhere near what I paid for the cheapest buy it now's! But what else can you do when you need a few extra bucks and that's all you have left to discard?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Probably my worst regret is letting my small magazine collection I started gathering when I was a teen get water damage. I pretty much had the first year's worth or close to it of Electronic Gaming Monthly, Video Games and Computer Entertainment, Game Player's Nintendo Power and GamePro.

I moved them in a box to my shed but didn't know there was a tear in the metal, causing the box to get wet. I was so mad I let them sit on the porch to toss them. When I got wise thinking that as log as I could read them, it didn't matter it was too late- they got soaked from a rain storm and turned to pulp.

It wasn't until years later I found an issue that survived over at my parent's house that I recollected. Most was easy but now it's getting expensive, especially for EGM's.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I still regret having to sell off my first game collection. Like many others here have confessed, I also found myself out of work and in desperate need of rent money (around 2001, I believe). So I ended up losing my beloved PS1 RPG collection (including Suikoden 2), my SNES RPGs (Chrono Trigger), and about 300 NES carts that I ended up selling on ebay. But the one thing I seem to miss most is my complete in box Coleco Adam computer. It's ridiculous how much these things are going for now. While I dearly miss that stuff now, I know that I did it for the right reasons so it's hard to feel too badly about it. Still, I'll probably never regain a lot of that stuff. Sure, the collection I've amassed since then is even bigger, but I'd be a lot more proud of it if I'd been able to hold onto that original stuff.
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sold my gamecube and all its games, keeping only the gameboy player, tales of symphonia, and megaman x collection, to purchase a clone system and a bunch of games. I didn't get a bad price for the lot but there are quite a few games I've had the urge to play since then, especially the Zelda collection. I sort of felt like a jerk too because my parents bought me that when I was younger. I bought another gamecube after a long while, eager to play it, but then my dog chewed the cord. XD At the end of the day I realize that they are just things and especially common games, but GC game prices seem to have shot up quite a bit lately. I expected them to do the opposite.

I would probably feel much different if I sold something particularly rare. first world problems right?
    Last edited by Bazoo; 03-22-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LukenAtMe
    PSN
    LukenAtMe

I was in middle school and wanted money for games to play on my SEGA Genesis, so I sold my SEGA Master system collection, figuring I would never use it. Everything was mint condition--that's why I miss it. I could reacquire every game, but every damn game I see for sale is filthy by comparison to how mine were. I kept the posters, manuals, mail-in survey cards. The cases and labels were pristine. I hated opening the cases because I didn't want to bend them too much. Anyway here's what I remember from my collection:

Model 1 SMS
    3-D glasses
    Space Harrier 3-D
    Missile Defense 3-D
    Spiderman
    Alex Kidd in Shinobi World (bought this for $10 on clearance just because I liked the other Alex Kidd games--no idea it was rare)
    Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    Alex Kidd the Lost Stars
    Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
    Spellcaster
    Rampage
    Joe Montana Football
    the "Great" sports games
    Pro Wrestling

oh yeah...and Golden Axe Warrior.

Funny thing about that last game. I asked my mom for Golden Axe, since I had played the arcade game. She would call 1-800-USA-SEGA and order from them when my grades were good. She placed the call and I waited for Golden Axe to arrive. I was so bummed when I opened the package to see it was Golden Axe Warrior. Man I was mad. I ended up playing and liking it a lot. She had a way of finding cool, rare stuff for me as a kid. I had never heard of the 3-D glasses when she got me those for Christmas with the two 3-D games. My sisters and I loved that present. I'm guessing it would cost $300+ to reacquire all of that--likely nearly $500 if it were pristine. Pisses me off and makes me sick.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by An Hero View Post
    I was in middle school and wanted money for games to play on my SEGA Genesis, so I sold my SEGA Master system collection, figuring I would never use it. Everything was mint condition--that's why I miss it. I could reacquire every game, but every damn game I see for sale is filthy by comparison to how mine were. I kept the posters, manuals, mail-in survey cards. The cases and labels were pristine. I hated opening the cases because I didn't want to bend them too much. Anyway here's what I remember from my collection:

Model 1 SMS
    3-D glasses
    Space Harrier 3-D
    Missile Defense 3-D
    Spiderman
    Alex Kidd in Shinobi World (bought this for $10 on clearance just because I liked the other Alex Kidd games--no idea it was rare)
    Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    Alex Kidd the Lost Stars
    Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
    Spellcaster
    Rampage
    Joe Montana Football
    the "Great" sports games
    Pro Wrestling

oh yeah...and Golden Axe Warrior.

Funny thing about that last game. I asked my mom for Golden Axe, since I had played the arcade game. She would call 1-800-USA-SEGA and order from them when my grades were good. She placed the call and I waited for Golden Axe to arrive. I was so bummed when I opened the package to see it was Golden Axe Warrior. Man I was mad. I ended up playing and liking it a lot. She had a way of finding cool, rare stuff for me as a kid. I had never heard of the 3-D glasses when she got me those for Christmas with the two 3-D games. My sisters and I loved that present. I'm guessing it would cost $300+ to reacquire all of that--likely nearly $500 if it were pristine. Pisses me off and makes me sick.

The 300 to 500 dollars to reacquire that stuff may be worth it to have some peace of mind. I don't know how many times I've gotten rid of something and ended up paying 2 or 3 times what I initially paid to get it back. I guess I have finally learned my lesson by now.
    High Voltage Rock 'N' Roll
    Ride On

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

I had a complete Vectrex collection when I was a kid, maybe minus 1 or 2 games. I sold it all as a teen, way too cheap. $100 for the whole thing, so I could buy a PS1. Woops!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

I traded my entire Super Nintendo collection so I could get a ps1 when it came out. I had almost all of the desired RPGs. Chrono Trigger, FF3, FF2, Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Mana, so on and so forth, all went for $50 with the system. Worst deal ever. I pretty much don't trade games to retail stores anymore after realizing that mistake.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sold off Neo Geo AES english versions of Last Blade 1 & 2, Metal Slug 3, and Mark of the Wolves to pay some bills. Dumbest thing ever. Could've paid the bills, albeit at a slow, gradual pace instead of all at once.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

oh man I had a nice little neo geo aes setup something like 2 dozen games and a modded JPN console. Boxed all the games complete to though my metal slug was an mvs convert. I had like 1200 invested I believe I made most of my money back maybe even made a little money but I want it all back! maybe a neo geo x will help at a fraction of the cost and keep snk going lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rhetoric View Post
    Sold off Neo Geo AES english versions of Last Blade 1 & 2, Metal Slug 3, and Mark of the Wolves to pay some bills. Dumbest thing ever. Could've paid the bills, albeit at a slow, gradual pace instead of all at once.
    If i had the aes version of those games i would have allot regret as well,for selling.The market for the aes now is pretty much a rich mans game.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    If i had the aes version of those games i would have allot regret as well,for selling.The market for the aes now is pretty much a rich mans game.
    It sure is, I hate how much the games go for. Makes it extremely hard to add any to my collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    It sure is, I hate how much the games go for. Makes it extremely hard to add any to my collection.
    I wouldn't say it's better for mvs either.There is more demand because of price plus allot more consolized mvs out there now.Even though i have most of what i want in mvs,there are games that have become very pricey.