Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's one thing that you regret selling/getting rid of?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What's one thing that you regret selling/getting rid of?

I have never really gotten rid of any of my gaming stuff (if I did I have probably bought it back at some point) But was wondering what things you guys wish you still had that you sold, gave away etc etc. For me it was my rather large comic book collection, after years and years of going to the comic shop every Wednesday and buying lots of books one day I just decided to stop buying and get rid of all of them. I had about 16 long boxes of comics all organized, sorted, bagged and boarded just how I wanted them, and I was pretty proud of it too. I posted the ad on Kijiji and the next day a buyer showed up, loaded up his van handed me a bunch of cash and left. The exact second I saw the van pulling out of the driveway I knew that I #@$!ed up and it left a pit in my stomach that still nags at me to this day.

I know this post got kind of long but what stories do you guys have that left you with regret?
    High Voltage Rock 'N' Roll
    Ride On

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Brand new 64DD dev kit with 5 blue disks. Never shoulda unloaded that thing.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

I am now kinda regretting selling my black label FF7 copy :/ oh well

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I sold something like 20 of my NES games to a local rental store in about 88-89 or so. Couldn't have been much later since I moved in 90 and it was near my old house. A few I later wound up rebuying (cart only, where as the ones I sold were CIB ) from Funcoland. That's how I discovered there was more than one version of Pro Wrestling out there. My original one, which I bought new when it first came out, had the bug where playing as King Slender made you go through twice as many matches to win the first championship, but the used one I got from Funcoland didn't have the bug.

Anyway, while I regretted it, I apparently didn't regret it enough, as I later wound up selling almost all my SNES and Genesis games (CIB) to Funco and some other similar places (via the mail, not in store). Boy do I ever regret that, especially ones like Phantasy Star 2 with the hintbook and everything.

Only thing I've sold since was WCW vs nWo for the N64 which I sold to Funcoland, but I don't regret that one as I'd imported Virtual Prowrestlng 64 which was the same exact game engine and had 99% of the guys from the other one, but had a bunch of extra guys and content as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Gamecube, and my Game Gear..

I sold the Gamecube because, well, I bought a Wii. I didn't need a Gamecube anymore.
    Then I got into importing and realized my Action Replay/Freeloader didn't work on the Wii. So I bought myself a new Gamecube...

The Game Gear I didn't play much...though shortly after I started missing it, a friend of my dad's was getting rid of his and gave it to my dad, who gave it to me.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

While I don't regret selling anything because whenever I did it was because I really had to, I do regret not collecting right in the first place. I bought too many things that nobody else wanted. When it came time to sell certain things, I really had a hard time getting rid of some of this stuff. For example, if you collect Atari 2600, Intellivision or Odyssey 2 commons make sure you get it really cheap to begin with and be pretty sure that you will always have room for them even after your collecting priorities change to games from later systems.

For example in 2011 I paid $10-$15 each shipped for about 10 complete in box Atari 2600 games one by one on ebay. I tried selling them in a lot on ebay many times and nobody bit until I threw in a couple untested systems from a thrift store and lowered the price to $40 shipped. 1 bid was all I got, and in the end I only got back $10 of the $125 total I think I spent to get the stuff. Nobody else was willing to pay anywhere near what I paid for the cheapest buy it now's! But what else can you do when you need a few extra bucks and that's all you have left to discard?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Metal Gear Solid and the little pamphlet thing you could buy for it...I regret lending it to begin with, though.

And yeah, I shoulda put money towards better stuff back in the day...oh well, you live and learn! A lot of the stuff I care about is still nice and cheap if you know where to look.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Probably Super Metroid. I had just got it from a friend and work started picking up, so I just went ahead and unloaded it. I would've added Mario RPG here...but I did get a Jaguar out of it, so..eh.
    My YouTube channel:
    www.youtube.com/user/bigevil20

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

My dad selling his comic book collection is mine.

My dads collection of comic books was no where near 16 long boxes. I remember when he started selling it in the early 90's right before the internet took off so private sales wasn't possible. Had to deal with local brick and mortar comic book stores for selling. My dad had probably closer to 2-3 longboxes worth but still managed several hundreded dollars even back then because a lot of them were key issues.

That is probably my biggest regret my dad selling his comic book collection along with the games I sold as a kid. I also miss my original tamagotchi's. I don't miss sports trading cards, pokemon cards, pogs.

I also miss some of my original spawn early series action figures. I was really young when I collected them and wouldn't get back into them now. I want to get laid still lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

In the late 90's I had a massive Tandy Color Computer collection - massive hardware wise anyway. I had the monitors and disk drives which are very expensive now and hard to find. Fortunately I have more actual coco computers than I did back then (especially coco 3's) and a crap load more of the carts since I had mostly disks back then. Still I had a lot of boxed disk games that I sold for almost nothing when ebay was new and not many coco collectors seemed to be around.

I also regret getting rid of my sega power base converter a couple of years ago because my SMS seems to be on the fritz. I figured I didn't need the PBC with having an actual machine but now I wish I still had it. Miss playing Rampage on the SMS, love that port.

Most of the other things I've regretted getting rid of, I've reacquired over time so as long as I don't repeat the mistakes of the past, I'm golden

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At various points I have owned just about all the NES super rarities, including all the Taito games (including several Flintstones 2's), Action 52, Tengen Tetris, All the Color Dreams titles, Chip & Dale / Ducktales 2, literally all of them except Stadium Events. Unfortunately I sold just about everything 10 years ago, and while they were all valuable back then, just about all of them are worth even MORE now. So I don't regret getting rid of these games because I want them, I regret getting rid of them because they've gone up even more in value.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only counting things I consciously sold, I REALLY regret selling my no-sound SNES jr with the controllers and hookups for $8 last summer. I can't find OEM SNES controllers ANYWHERE now, and they're all nearly $15 online.

I also sorta feel dumb selling my copy of intelligent qube CiB when it was only worth $30 since I never really gave the game itself a fair shake - I was afraid I would break something that simultaneously fragile AND valuable. As a whole, I've been trying to keep more rare carts than discs since they're a bit sturdier and can survive quite a lot more.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 03-18-2013 at 07:27 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I can't limit myself to just one thing, so I'm gonna provide a list.

1. My PC Engine. I had the "Briefcase" model, and about fifteen games (I had a TurboGrafx for American games). But at the time it seemed like I'd never be able to afford more games. I've seen re-bought it.

2. Earthbound. My original was cart only (I have a CIB now) and at the time I was down on RPGs, but I should never have gotten rid of it.

3. Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana. I owned CIBs of both, sold both to overseas collectors in order to fund... something I don't even remember now and thus, was probably not even important. I later wound up wanting to play them again. I have both now, but not CIB and my replacement CT is kinda shoddy.

4. my Robotech collection. I used to have every episode of the anime series and all 21 of the Jack McKinney novels, as well as all the Macross Animeigo sets. And now I'm into Robotech again and I'm re-collecting all this stuff.

I've by no means stopped selling/trading stuff, but I've since learned to apply a standard to it, to learn to sense which ones I'm gonna want back.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reading all of these posts kind of makes me feel a bit better knowing that i'm not the only one who has had the dreaded sellers regret. Oh well, there is always the fun of hunting stuff down again.
    High Voltage Rock 'N' Roll
    Ride On

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My ultimate regret was before I joined digital press. I had 4 arcade machines which I had to part with. Ms Pacman, Galaga, Jungle King, and Centipede. I spent a lot to store them, should have gotten them fixed. Breaks my heart.
    I'm just trying to keep from losing my mind!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First would be the three factory sealed copies of Castlevania: SOTN I opened to trade into Gamestop(this was before I had an ebay acount). And second would be the 3DO demo binder that I had to sell around 5 years ago when I lost one of my jobs and had to make rent. One of these days I'm going to try and get another one of those.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I kinda regret selling my SNES, but I wasnt able to get many games for it to begin with, and now Id just get one of those carts where you store a whole ton of roms on and play with cheat codes. I did however get Silent Hill 2 with some of the store credit, and I love that game to death. So overall I dont really regret it too much, but just because I cant afford to collect all the games I want for it in real editions.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Metal Gear Solid and the little pamphlet thing you could buy for it...I regret lending it to begin with, though.

And yeah, I shoulda put money towards better stuff back in the day...oh well, you live and learn! A lot of the stuff I care about is still nice and cheap if you know where to look.
    What pamphlet came with MGS? I have owned the back label twice, almost since it's release and don't recall such a thing. I never did pre-order it nor buy the long box if there was a US version. I pay very close attention to the franchise so I'm a bit curious now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

My complete Nomad. I sold it because I didn't like playing games on it because of the terrible LCD. Go figure, a few weeks later I see a tutorial on installing a modern LCD in it.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My complete Guardian Heroes for the Sega Saturn...... uuuuggghhhhh just typing that made me sick....
    had to sell it cause I was getting rid of all my old gaming systems at that age we all do.