Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's one thing that you regret selling/getting rid of?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Solo_Skywalker View Post
    Reading all of these posts kind of makes me feel a bit better knowing that i'm not the only one who has had the dreaded sellers regret. Oh well, there is always the fun of hunting stuff down again.
    Yeah I mean look at me. I'm just starting my 4th collection. Except for the first time when I was a teenager and sold things due to poor condition and emulators, the rest of my selling had to do with financial issues. But I realize I blamed financial struggle too much on simply losing my job. I realize if I had built my collection up more gradually instead of getting 70 system models and 1700 games in 3 years' time I would have had a lot more income in savings to lean back on when I needed to find a new job.

That is the key. Take the collecting more slowly and don't spend your money till its gone. Set an interval for buying things per month and follow that. Having extra money saved up instead of spent greatly reduces the chance of you having to resell your collection just to live. Time will tell if I have to sell the upcoming collection as well or not. Hopefully this will be the last one I decide to do, and hopefully I can keep this one reserved to my actual gaming experience only buying worthy titles. If I can't beat it or it made me too mad, I'm not going to put it in my display.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

on boxing day in '95 they sold brand new jvc x'eye for 60$ in a local furniture store chain. bought one, but later on sold it to buy a new n64... I did get a used one this year, but man i miss that brand new box!! I love being the only owner, I take care of my consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator316 View Post
    My complete Guardian Heroes for the Sega Saturn...... uuuuggghhhhh just typing that made me sick....
    had to sell it cause I was getting rid of all my old gaming systems at that age we all do.
    At what age is that? I still have all original consoles from when I was a teenager forward.

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    I love being the only owner, I take care of my consoles.
    This is why not to sell your stuff. But without sounding braggy, another poster said it well. Pace yourself and put some funds back as you can. That way, financial difficulties won't sink your collection.

Only thing I ever regretted was selling some 2600 games way back when, but I have reacquired all them anyway. Also, i loaned about 10 NES games to a nephew and never saw them again, but have replaced those as well.

The only other thing I can think of is that my wife's brother was a thief and stole my NES Arkanoid CIB with VAUS controller, along with my copy of Karnov, for drug money. I have also replaced those, minus the box for Arkanoid, so all is good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I sold a rgb modded Nintendo 64, thinking it would be easy to get one again if I needed one.

I can get one of course, but would have been better off just keeping mine, because it seems like they've doubled in value since then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Yeah I mean look at me. I'm just starting my 4th collection. Except for the first time when I was a teenager and sold things due to poor condition and emulators, the rest of my selling had to do with financial issues. But I realize I blamed financial struggle too much on simply losing my job. I realize if I had built my collection up more gradually instead of getting 70 system models and 1700 games in 3 years' time I would have had a lot more income in savings to lean back on when I needed to find a new job.
    In that regard I suppose this would be my second collection since I no longer have any of the original systems I had as a child. But I still don't see how you can keep starting over. I totally understand that sometimes you HAVE to sell certain items for bills(which was one of my regrets listed in my first post) but if I ever sold my entire 800+ game and 20+ system collection I don't think I'd ever be able to start over again. Not so much because of the money but because by that point I would probably move onto something else, just like I no longer collect comic books or baseball cards.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Solo_Skywalker View Post
    Reading all of these posts kind of makes me feel a bit better knowing that i'm not the only one who has had the dreaded sellers regret. Oh well, there is always the fun of hunting stuff down again.
    If I ever just up and sold my entire collection, I'd probably just stop collecting altogether, haha. Way too much time and money spent. Although, if I do trade or sell nowadays, it's strictly duplicates only (which I'm sure a lot of people only trade dupes too).
    My YouTube channel:
    www.youtube.com/user/bigevil20

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

That is the key. Take the collecting more slowly and don't spend your money till its gone. Set an interval for buying things per month and follow that. Having extra money saved up instead of spent greatly reduces the chance of you having to resell your collection just to live. Time will tell if I have to sell the upcoming collection as well or not. Hopefully this will be the last one I decide to do, and hopefully I can keep this one reserved to my actual gaming experience only buying worthy titles. If I can't beat it or it made me too mad, I'm not going to put it in my display.

When it comes to collectibles I see this all the time in almost every way imaginable. That is a big danger when accumulating too much of something in too short of a time. I also have seen it cause lots of problems with spouses. Collecting can be a addiction just like the gaming side where someone plays too much games to the point it causes them problems. I see this quite often with comic books and the key issue collectors between that and the volatile market of pop culture collectibles it can lead to bad times.

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    In that regard I suppose this would be my second collection since I no longer have any of the original systems I had as a child. But I still don't see how you can keep starting over. I totally understand that sometimes you HAVE to sell certain items for bills(which was one of my regrets listed in my first post) but if I ever sold my entire 800+ game and 20+ system collection I don't think I'd ever be able to start over again. Not so much because of the money but because by that point I would probably move onto something else, just like I no longer collect comic books or baseball cards.
    If you played video games then you would end up collecting them just on the premise that you'd buy new games to play and if you didn't sell/trade them then it would become part of a collection.

I don't collect sports trading cards either any more because I don't like them. I have in a technical sense started a comic book collection a 2nd time since getting rid of mine as a kid.

If you like something you can get back into it a infinte amount of times. To question that probably means you're invested in something that you started losing interest in.
    Last edited by needler420; 03-19-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I think the main reason I am able to keep starting over is because I become pickier every time I do it. I keep on reducing my collecting goals:

#1 Default collection of childhood gifts -> #2 Anything and everything -> #3 CIB only -> #4 Very top favorites only

Makes sense?

And oh yeah, I never did 100% sell off everything in each process. I managed to retain about 35 retro games from my last collection that I intend to keep, but I still have some that I know I won't miss if I ever sell them.

Games that were newish at the time never really counted toward my collection or sales because they just couldn't be emulated or copied yet. I still have quite a backlog of Gamecube, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, and 3DS where I haven't decided one way or another what is a favorite and what is not. I'm collecting PS3 RPGs because it's doable and I want to try them all at least at some point before I pick and choose what I like and don't like.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 03-19-2013 at 08:19 PM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At one point I sold my original Game Boy and all my games.
    Including my complete copies of Mega Man V and Castlevania Legends. I don't necessarily miss them because of the monetary value (tho that does sting), but I ended up missing them afterwards. I've since regained most of the games, but not those two. I'm not interested in paying those kinds of prices.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I did for a time regret selling my new-in-box Vectrex. I bought it from somebody who had purchased it, the light pen and a swath of games from Toys R Us on clearance. What I paid them for it was more than they spent on it all but was still a steal.

The box had a TINY bit of damage where the tape that sealed it had ripped off some of the cardboard, but inside the Vectrex was still in the plastic bag it shipped in.

But, I could never really fully enjoy it because it was SO mint that I felt guilty playing with it.

Wound up eventually selling it all to a serious collector for a nice profit and as much as I missed owning a Vectrex, a few years later I picked up a used one in good working condition at a NAVA meeting, got the Sean Kelly multicart 2.0 and I've been good to go for guilt-free Vectrex gaming ever since.

Can't think of any other MAJOR items that I regret letting go.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back in 2004/05 I bought a loose copy of Earthbound off E-Bay for about 50 bucks. Back a few years ago I was hard up for cash and wasn't into retro gaming very much, so I took it to the local used game store and sold it for $75 and $75 store credit (I'd also thrown in a old cracked, yellowed, Super NES and a handful of bad games). Technically I made a profit... but boy do I regret it now.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Regret most definitely in the early 90's at least.Any time i wanted the latest console it was selling or a trade to get the newest console for me.I couldn't expect,my parents to buy the latest one just because i wanted it in those days.Going from the NES,TG16,SNES and Genesis and so forth.Up until the 32-bit era at least i decided i would try to keep the consoles i bought if i enjoyed them still.It wasn't until id say around 04 that i rebought the ones that i own before.

When i first bought my first (neo-geo cmvs) that gave me that itch for more classic gaming.So i started with a pc-engine then famicom a genesis and as of last year a sfc.Looking at back it though some of those consoles i should have hang onto.Mostly because 'how the value has spiked for some.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Michael Jordan rookie cards, Joe Montana rookies, Garbage Pail kids and some GI Joes.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Michael Jordan rookie cards, Joe Montana rookies, Garbage Pail kids and some GI Joes.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Final Boss's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My C64 set. It hurts whenever I think of it. Sure, I had like only 5 or 6 genuine games and hundreds of copies. But I also had a floppy station, two or more joysticks and a fresh-looking white version of the beast.

I sold the whole thing for about the equal of 45 dollars.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SegaGamerGirl's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently opened a brand new copy of Tetris on the NES. I just could not resist.... Now I am ashamed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    If you played video games then you would end up collecting them just on the premise that you'd buy new games to play and if you didn't sell/trade them then it would become part of a collection.

I don't collect sports trading cards either any more because I don't like them. I have in a technical sense started a comic book collection a 2nd time since getting rid of mine as a kid.

If you like something you can get back into it a infinte amount of times. To question that probably means you're invested in something that you started losing interest in.
    I haven't started losing interest in gaming, I just take on more responsibilities the older I get and have less time for gaming. And my initial reply was more so in reference of me not wanting to start all over again in amassing an 800+ game collection.

I think the main reason I am able to keep starting over is because I become pickier every time I do it. I keep on reducing my collecting goals:

#1 Default collection of childhood gifts -> #2 Anything and everything -> #3 CIB only -> #4 Very top favorites only

Makes sense?
    Yeah I get what you are saying. Each time you restarted you had different goals you wanted to accomplish.

And oh yeah, I never did 100% sell off everything in each process. I managed to retain about 35 retro games from my last collection that I intend to keep, but I still have some that I know I won't miss if I ever sell them.

Although I have been selling off parts of my collection over the last two years to make room for other stuff I think that if I really wanted to get rid of everything there would be much less incentive for me to want to start over again. So now I'm trying to trim it down to the main things I like. After that I'll try to trim it down further to the stuff I can't live without. I'm still collecting as I go thru this process so it's almost like a never-ending story for me unless I just decide to sell everything all at once in one transaction.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Probably my worst regret is letting my small magazine collection I started gathering when I was a teen get water damage. I pretty much had the first year's worth or close to it of Electronic Gaming Monthly, Video Games and Computer Entertainment, Game Player's Nintendo Power and GamePro.

I moved them in a box to my shed but didn't know there was a tear in the metal, causing the box to get wet. I was so mad I let them sit on the porch to toss them. When I got wise thinking that as log as I could read them, it didn't matter it was too late- they got soaked from a rain storm and turned to pulp.

It wasn't until years later I found an issue that survived over at my parent's house that I recollected. Most was easy but now it's getting expensive, especially for EGM's.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I still regret having to sell off my first game collection. Like many others here have confessed, I also found myself out of work and in desperate need of rent money (around 2001, I believe). So I ended up losing my beloved PS1 RPG collection (including Suikoden 2), my SNES RPGs (Chrono Trigger), and about 300 NES carts that I ended up selling on ebay. But the one thing I seem to miss most is my complete in box Coleco Adam computer. It's ridiculous how much these things are going for now. While I dearly miss that stuff now, I know that I did it for the right reasons so it's hard to feel too badly about it. Still, I'll probably never regain a lot of that stuff. Sure, the collection I've amassed since then is even bigger, but I'd be a lot more proud of it if I'd been able to hold onto that original stuff.
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sold my gamecube and all its games, keeping only the gameboy player, tales of symphonia, and megaman x collection, to purchase a clone system and a bunch of games. I didn't get a bad price for the lot but there are quite a few games I've had the urge to play since then, especially the Zelda collection. I sort of felt like a jerk too because my parents bought me that when I was younger. I bought another gamecube after a long while, eager to play it, but then my dog chewed the cord. XD At the end of the day I realize that they are just things and especially common games, but GC game prices seem to have shot up quite a bit lately. I expected them to do the opposite.

I would probably feel much different if I sold something particularly rare. first world problems right?
    Last edited by Bazoo; 03-22-2013 at 03:33 PM.