Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's one thing that you regret selling/getting rid of?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LukenAtMe
    PSN
    LukenAtMe

I was in middle school and wanted money for games to play on my SEGA Genesis, so I sold my SEGA Master system collection, figuring I would never use it. Everything was mint condition--that's why I miss it. I could reacquire every game, but every damn game I see for sale is filthy by comparison to how mine were. I kept the posters, manuals, mail-in survey cards. The cases and labels were pristine. I hated opening the cases because I didn't want to bend them too much. Anyway here's what I remember from my collection:

Model 1 SMS
    3-D glasses
    Space Harrier 3-D
    Missile Defense 3-D
    Spiderman
    Alex Kidd in Shinobi World (bought this for $10 on clearance just because I liked the other Alex Kidd games--no idea it was rare)
    Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    Alex Kidd the Lost Stars
    Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
    Spellcaster
    Rampage
    Joe Montana Football
    the "Great" sports games
    Pro Wrestling

oh yeah...and Golden Axe Warrior.

Funny thing about that last game. I asked my mom for Golden Axe, since I had played the arcade game. She would call 1-800-USA-SEGA and order from them when my grades were good. She placed the call and I waited for Golden Axe to arrive. I was so bummed when I opened the package to see it was Golden Axe Warrior. Man I was mad. I ended up playing and liking it a lot. She had a way of finding cool, rare stuff for me as a kid. I had never heard of the 3-D glasses when she got me those for Christmas with the two 3-D games. My sisters and I loved that present. I'm guessing it would cost $300+ to reacquire all of that--likely nearly $500 if it were pristine. Pisses me off and makes me sick.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by An Hero View Post
    I was in middle school and wanted money for games to play on my SEGA Genesis, so I sold my SEGA Master system collection, figuring I would never use it. Everything was mint condition--that's why I miss it. I could reacquire every game, but every damn game I see for sale is filthy by comparison to how mine were. I kept the posters, manuals, mail-in survey cards. The cases and labels were pristine. I hated opening the cases because I didn't want to bend them too much. Anyway here's what I remember from my collection:

Model 1 SMS
    3-D glasses
    Space Harrier 3-D
    Missile Defense 3-D
    Spiderman
    Alex Kidd in Shinobi World (bought this for $10 on clearance just because I liked the other Alex Kidd games--no idea it was rare)
    Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    Alex Kidd the Lost Stars
    Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
    Spellcaster
    Rampage
    Joe Montana Football
    the "Great" sports games
    Pro Wrestling

oh yeah...and Golden Axe Warrior.

Funny thing about that last game. I asked my mom for Golden Axe, since I had played the arcade game. She would call 1-800-USA-SEGA and order from them when my grades were good. She placed the call and I waited for Golden Axe to arrive. I was so bummed when I opened the package to see it was Golden Axe Warrior. Man I was mad. I ended up playing and liking it a lot. She had a way of finding cool, rare stuff for me as a kid. I had never heard of the 3-D glasses when she got me those for Christmas with the two 3-D games. My sisters and I loved that present. I'm guessing it would cost $300+ to reacquire all of that--likely nearly $500 if it were pristine. Pisses me off and makes me sick.

The 300 to 500 dollars to reacquire that stuff may be worth it to have some peace of mind. I don't know how many times I've gotten rid of something and ended up paying 2 or 3 times what I initially paid to get it back. I guess I have finally learned my lesson by now.
    High Voltage Rock 'N' Roll
    Ride On

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    drtomoe
    PSN
    drtomoe123

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Back in 2004/05 I bought a loose copy of Earthbound off E-Bay for about 50 bucks. Back a few years ago I was hard up for cash and wasn't into retro gaming very much, so I took it to the local used game store and sold it for $75 and $75 store credit (I'd also thrown in a old cracked, yellowed, Super NES and a handful of bad games). Technically I made a profit... but boy do I regret it now.
    I sold my cart only Earthbound on eBaytwo summers ago when they were still going for $100. Huge regret.

I also sold my complete copy of MUSHA.

Talk about mistakes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, I traded in a complete, mint copy of X-Com: UFO Defense (for Playstation 1) to Gamestop for like a dollar...

Insert Coin (Level 0) wizardofwor's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Larz 314
    PSN
    larz314

Recently it would be Culdcept Saga for XBox 360 a fantastic game.....the ultimate selling/regret was Fathom for Intellivision, CIB. Dumb da dumb dumb...
    George Plimpton was right! But who the hell is George Plimpton???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Well, I traded in a complete, mint copy of X-Com: UFO Defense (for Playstation 1) to Gamestop for like a dollar...

That's worth something now?! It used to cost money just to throw that thing away !

Insert Coin (Level 0) DaddyMulk's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I have a few:

1) The items I sold from my first stay in Japan to finance my second stay over there. I let my CIB Rockman Megaworld, Dracula X/Bloodlines OST, and Link to the Past OST go, and while I got decent money for them, I never found any of them again at reasonable prices. (it was worth it in the long run though since I ultimately found many, many more treasures during my second stay)

2) My game magazine collection. I had complete runs of Nintendo Power, VG&CE, GamePro, EGM, and Game Player's from their inception until around 1993 or so. I got tired of how much space they were taking up, so I ended up chucking the lot of them. (I did keep the first issues of each, along with a few other choice issues, and I took an exacto knife to the ones I was pitching and cleaved several hundred specific pages for keepsakes) I also minorly regret trashing 2 1/2 years of Famitsu/Dreamcast Magazine, but there are limits on what you can feasibly transport from one country to another. Speaking of which....

3) The X-Men vs. Street Fighter Cyclops/Ryu standee I was given by a game store employee in Japan. Again, it served me well for several years (often as a tie rack), but it would have been impossible to transport.

4) Some of the game cases I threw away before returning to the U.S. I kept all artwork and manuals (and anything cardboard) because of weight considerations (I sent ~10 45-lb. boxes of stuff home even after these sacrifices), but sacrificed many of my Saturn/PS1/DC and other cases since I reasoned that I could replace them all stateside. While that was true for 90% of my games (hey, a jewel case is a jewel case), I didn't take into account things like thickness variances, 3- and 4-CD cases, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

Earthbound cart with a near perfect hint guide with scratch 'n sniff stickers barely touched. Couldn't resist the going price, needed money. Sold it
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My regret is getting out of video gaming entirely in the 90s, selling off my NES, Genesis, and later selling off my Gameboy Color with Zelda DX. Everything I owned was purchased brand new, and kept like new and complete, and sold for next to nothing because they weren't worth much before Ebay. Now I have to buy games that have been owned by slobs that throw away the boxes and despoil the manuals and carts.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I've always had to sell or trade to get new gear sadly and miss all the stuff but most of all my brother and I had an N64 as kids that we'd love to have back

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

[QUOTE=DaddyMulk;1958955]Yeah, I have a few:

2) My game magazine collection. I had complete runs of Nintendo Power, VG&CE, GamePro, EGM, and Game Player's from their inception until around 1993 or so. I got tired of how much space they were taking up, so I ended up chucking the lot of them. (I did keep the first issues of each, along with a few other choice issues, and I took an exacto knife to the ones I was pitching and cleaved several hundred specific pages for keepsakes) I also minorly regret trashing 2 1/2 years of Famitsu/Dreamcast Magazine, but there are limits on what you can feasibly transport from one country to another. Speaking of which....

Should have donated them to retromags I never kept my old magazines but love going to retromags and checking out fave issues they have scanned. For future reference keep these guys in mind!

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Final Boss View Post
    My C64 set. It hurts whenever I think of it. Sure, I had like only 5 or 6 genuine games and hundreds of copies. But I also had a floppy station, two or more joysticks and a fresh-looking white version of the beast.

I sold the whole thing for about the equal of 45 dollars.
    I hear you. Due to unforseen financial problems I had to sell my Vic-20. It was my 1st computer. My dad gave me his Vic when he upgraded to the 64. I miss it. In the meantime my finances have rebounded and I've built up a nice Commodore collection: An Amiga 500, a C64, and an SX-64. Lately I've been wanting an A8 but now this thread has me thinking I should just complete my Commodore collection with another Vic.

Update: I was able to buy back my dad's old Vic20 from the fella I sold it to. So I'm happy to report my Vic has returned home safe and sound.
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 06-01-2015 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Castlevania Rondo of blood. great game I should have kept.

sometime I regret selling Battlesphere then I remember how much I hated it.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

I had to sell my
    E.V.O.
    Misadventures of Tron Bonne
    Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

All got traded in so I could pay my insurance.

Still hate myself. I almost completed EVO.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Easily it was selling off my entire N64 collection at a Funcoland back in the day. I hadn't played the console in a couple years at that point but I didn't need the money but figured I'd rather have the money than a console collecting dust. Man did I ever get ripped off too.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had to ged rid of all this stuff when I lost my job, would love to have it all back now! (Picasa link)

http://tinyurl.com/ovlo7yo

And and also my Commodore Kim1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tolls View Post
    And and also my Commodore Kim1.
    Talk about painful. As a fellow Commodore collector you have my deepest sympathies. What a prize the very 1st single board computer by Commodore/MOS. If my memory serves me the Kim-1 was the granddaddy of all 6502 microprocessors. The 8-bit 6502 microprocessor and its many variations/offshoots were used in the Vic-20, C64, Atari 2600, Apple II, Atari 800, NES, and many others.

http://oldcomputers.net/kim1.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_Technology_6502
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 11-21-2014 at 04:39 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofwor1975 View Post
    Talk about painful.
    Yep, it was painful. I hate looking at that photo now, it depresses me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tolls View Post
    Yep, it was painful. I hate looking at that photo now, it depresses me!
    What a shame! Have you been able to rebuild any of your collection?
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 11-22-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have so many regrets about selling stuff off that I don't know where to start. One that bothers me was a trade that I did, not that there was anything wrong with the trade, but I just didn't end up using what I traded for.

A number of years back I traded a complete copy of M.U.S.H.A. plus complete copies of Phantasy Star II, III, and IV for a LaserActive. I got a good deal because I only paid $6 each for the games, but I ended up never really using the LaserActive.