Thread: Ideal TV size for classic gaming?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ideal TV size for classic gaming?

Yes, I know...another question about TVs for classic gaming.

I was just wondering what most people here consider to be the best size TV for classic games? I have a 27" CRT for my older systems, but I sit around 8 ft away. The screen size on my current TV is just a little too small for me from where I currently sit, so I've been thinking about upgrading to a 32" for awhile now...especially since most people are selling them for dirt cheap or just giving them away for free on Craigslist. My question...is a 32" TV not an ideal size for older games? It always seems with classic video games, most people like to have smaller TVs, and I remember reading somewhere awhile back that once you go over 27", the picture quality on the games really starts to break down (I have no idea if that's true or not). I don't want to sacrifice picture quality for screen size, if what I've read is true. Could I get some input from you guys?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would submit this is a question only you can answer. Find out what works for you.

I would say, however, that for some games (i.e. FPS, third person) you might want a larger size than for others. Fast action games (like spaceship shooters) might be easier played on a smaller screen where you can see all the details at once. For other games you might prefer total immersion in a larger screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I use a 32inch Sony trinitron, and it looks great.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Any size TV is ok really. It's just a fact that usually the larger the TV you have, the further back you sit from the TV to play games. So what was the advantage of buying that expensive big screen again? I guess maybe if you want to scoot up a little bit to analyze some of the art.

Both of my main gaming TVs are 52" and look great. One is 4:3 and the other is 16:9. But sometimes I do like to hook up to one of the smaller TV's when it's convenient. The living room is bigger so it gets the bigger TVs. The bedroom is smaller so it gets the smaller ones.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I always thought they we kind of designed around the tv sizes of the time being most common and with the NES era it was around 20" in size. Clearly larger is better the farther away you are but I'd think at some point on a CRT it would get too small to be much fun to play.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I always thought they we kind of designed around the tv sizes of the time being most common and with the NES era it was around 20" in size. Clearly larger is better the farther away you are but I'd think at some point on a CRT it would get too small to be much fun to play.
    I like smaller tube TVs for classic gaming - 13" - 19". I tend to sit close to the TV. It's easier to keep track of the entire playfield on a smaller screen. I have the same issue w/ classic arcade games on huge monitors - I need to see everything going on at once, but if the screen is too big that becomes difficult.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I would say that size does not matter. That is entirely up to you. I think it's more important to look at other aspects of the T.V. I would suggest using a CRT which pretty much all of them are 4:3 which is ideal. Also, make sure to get one that has not only composite, but s-video and component inputs as well. I have a 27" CRT in storage, waiting for space to be setup for retro gaming. If I had my way I would love a 32" or 36" but keep in mind they can get VERY heavy depending on the T.V.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a 27" Samsung and that works quite well for me. I'd consider upgrading to a 32" if it was a better model, but I wouldn't invest too much into is because I'm quite happy with my current one since it has composite/component/svideo, and a headphone jack right off the TV. Plus the remote is still in nice shape as is the the whole casing for it. The only drawback as is, is that the front is curved instead of flat but I don't really mind.

Like others have said though, watch out for the added weight as you go up in sizes. Mine was already a pain in the but to get upstairs to my office.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All things being equal, I'd say a 27 incher is the sweet spot. The Panasonic Tau's are nice.

Of course, I'm talking about regular TV's. When the discussion moves to RGB monitors, then 20 inches is the best, just because Sony made some killer 20 inchers. Sony does have larger ones, but they just aren't anywhere as good as some of the 20 inch versions. Especially the BVM20F1U .

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally think a 32' is best for me. I don't need to squint my eyes to look at the TV. I can kick back in my chair and just game.
    Last edited by Mark1983; 03-19-2013 at 07:47 PM.
    My YouTube channel:
    www.youtube.com/user/bigevil20

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

We all have very different ideas of the perfect size of TV. I know I'm one of the few people here that only uses LCD TV's, I just cannot stand the size and weight of the old tube TV's.

I personally have a 52" that is hooked up to my HDMI HD consoles, my 42" is hooked up to my component HD consoles, and finally my 32" is hooked up to my old low definition consoles.

The only downside I really have of using LCD TV's across the board is the laser/zap guns don't work.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    We all have very different ideas of the perfect size of TV. I know I'm one of the few people here that only uses LCD TV's, I just cannot stand the size and weight of the old tube TV's.

I personally have a 52" that is hooked up to my HDMI HD consoles, my 42" is hooked up to my component HD consoles, and finally my 32" is hooked up to my old low definition consoles.

The only downside I really have of using LCD TV's across the board is the laser/zap guns don't work.
    I'm actually using my HD tv right now, until I can find a bigger CRT than the 20' I have right now. Hopefully by the weekend...go, go Goodwill/Salvation Army!
    My YouTube channel:
    www.youtube.com/user/bigevil20

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=WCP;1958240]All things being equal, I'd say a 27 incher is the sweet spot. [QUOTE]

This is the right answer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I'd get around 27", with component input or at minimum s-video. Ultimately any TV is limited by the peak image quality it can receive.

The potential of the greatest tube you can think of, is wasted if there's no practical way to GET the video in!
    Last edited by theclaw; 03-19-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I like to play fairly close to the set for "retro" and imho size matters for the generation. For me personally...

1) 8 bit and older I prefer a 13" to 20" CRT
    2) 16 bit to 32 bit era I like a 20" to 27" CRT
    3) DC/PS2 era I like a 27" to 32" CRT
    4) Current generation..... I don't play as close, so a 50 to 100" HDTV/projector... though in general I prefer a direct view panel.

Also if possible, RGB on a CRT.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eight feet from a 27" is too far. The size of the TV only really affects how far you must sit. Larger TV will need to sit at more distance. For eight feet, a 32" would be minimum.

For my sitting distance (six feet at most), I prefer 32". It feels more immersive. However, I compromised on a 27" last year so I wouldn't kill myself moving it around. I also thought the smaller size would minimize geometry distortion. I can't say for sure that it has.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Yakov456

Found a nice little 13" Sanyo CRT that does the trick. As a kid I was usually playing on a comparable size so it's just right for me. On my regular LCD I hate the way it looks and sounds.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find 24"-32" works best for me (CRT). I have a random assortment of tubes from 14"-32" that I pick up doing interior inspections of foreclosed homes. Otherwise, they just get trashed-out by preservation contractors anyway.