Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: "collectors" on instagram

  1. #1
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    375
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default "collectors" on instagram

    I stay away from crap like Facebook and Twitter and things like that but someone showed me Instagram and I thought it was cool because it was mostly photo based. I found a retro community and got to like it until....I started to check out more and more collectors and started to hate it just like the rest. I started to notice that literally every day, people were finding their "old stash" at their parents house in a box that just happened to have mint Eartbound, dozens of boxed SNES games, rare NES games and other things. Every day, awesome deals were found at the local thrift stores and Gamestops that nobody else knew about. I honestly see this every day by the same people. The one that got me to put this up was the awesome deal today of a gameboy, carry case, 20 boxed game and a bunch of accessories all for $40. Some people actually show several "finds" per day. I understand that people get lucky, but not finding hundreds of dollars worth of games for $14 everyday.Anybody else notice this?

  2. #2
    Banned

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    290
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

    Default

    I can't help but smirk when people try to consider themselves tech geeks nowadays but won't use things like twitter and facebook.

  3. #3
    drowning in medals Ed Oscuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    16,556
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Don't you hate it when other people have good fortune? Truth in media, man...I hope this is the worst thing I hear about all day, definitely.

  4. #4
    Bell (Level 8) Smashed Brother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee WI, fool!
    Posts
    1,722
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    There was some user on here a couple of years ago who pulled these kind of shenanigans, but he was found out to be a fraud and eventually was banned. I wish I remember his name; maybe somebody else here can chime in. Yeah, it's annoying, but some people just like attention any way that they can get it, no matter how silly it is.

  5. #5
    Key (Level 9) wiggyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,844
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    I can't help but smirk when people try to consider themselves tech geeks nowadays but won't use things like twitter and facebook.
    Who claimed to be a tech geek?

  6. #6
    Banned

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    290
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Don't you hate it when other people have good fortune? Truth in media, man...I hope this is the worst thing I hear about all day, definitely.
    Media is a essential tool in our hobby.

    Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Who claimed to be a tech geek?
    Tech geek was bad terminology.

    More so what I meant was TC is sitting in the dark because he won't use those type of sites. That's why he is probably shocked by what he see's on Instagram. It's like that movie encino man when the cave man walks through a shopping mall for the first time and is flabbergasted.
    Last edited by needler420; 03-19-2013 at 05:41 PM.

  7. #7
    Key (Level 9) wiggyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,844
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    Media is a essential tool in our hobby.



    Tech geek was bad terminology.

    More so what I meant was TC is sitting in the dark because he won't use those type of sites. That's why he is probably shocked by what he see's on Instagram. It's like that movie encino man when the cave man walks through a shopping mall for the first time and is flabbergasted.
    Not using FB and Twitter is like sitting in the dark?

  8. #8
    Banned

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    290
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Not using FB and Twitter is like sitting in the dark?
    Yeah. You might as well just stop using a email address or internet all together.

  9. #9
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    375
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    Yeah. You might as well just stop using a email address or internet all together.
    Because its the same.

  10. #10
    Key (Level 9) wiggyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,844
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    Yeah. You might as well just stop using a email address or internet all together.
    So there is no other reason to use the internet if you're NOT using it for FB and/or Twitter?

  11. #11
    Banned

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    290
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    So there is no other reason to use the internet if you're NOT using it for FB and/or Twitter?

    Yeah and email don't forget that one.

    The alternative is getting flabbergasted by peoples collections on instagram. If you used twitter and facebook it wouldn't be so surprising. Just saying.

  12. #12
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    375
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    Yeah and email don't forget that one.

    The alternative is getting flabbergasted by peoples collections on instagram. If you used twitter and facebook it wouldn't be so surprising. Just saying.
    What!!!!!!????????

  13. #13
    Peach (Level 3)
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    657
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    So there is no other reason to use the internet if you're NOT using it for FB and/or Twitter?
    From the recent posts, I think it's fair to conclude that needler420 is some troll account. This is the only way I can justify to myself how he (she?) can say some of the ludicrous things he (she?) says.

  14. #14
    Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Gameguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Ontario (Canada)
    Posts
    7,775
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    54
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smashed Brother View Post
    There was some user on here a couple of years ago who pulled these kind of shenanigans, but he was found out to be a fraud and eventually was banned. I wish I remember his name; maybe somebody else here can chime in. Yeah, it's annoying, but some people just like attention any way that they can get it, no matter how silly it is.
    I remember those posts, he kept posting receipts to try proving everything even when everything he bought looked exactly the same as recent ebay auctions including very specific damage and wear. I can't remember the username or exact games to try and find those posts right now.

    I personally don't bother with Facebook or Twitter because I don't want to be constantly bothered by people I don't know.

  15. #15
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,800
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I remember those posts, he kept posting receipts to try proving everything even when everything he bought looked exactly the same as recent ebay auctions including very specific damage and wear. I can't remember the username or exact games to try and find those posts right now.

    I personally don't bother with Facebook or Twitter because I don't want to be constantly bothered by people I don't know.
    Yeah that sounds silly for someone to post trying to prove they bought something locally considering most people shouldn't even care where somebody bought what for what price. What people really should care about is the knowledge an experienced collector can provide. If you have thousands of games but no knowledge or experience to share about those items, what good is it to post about them? In this sense someone who used to have lots of games but no longer has them could be more respected in the gaming community than someone who still has them.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]


  16. #16
    Banned

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    290
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Yeah that sounds silly for someone to post trying to prove they bought something locally considering most people shouldn't even care where somebody bought what for what price. What people really should care about is the knowledge an experienced collector can provide. If you have thousands of games but no knowledge or experience to share about those items, what good is it to post about them? In this sense someone who used to have lots of games but no longer has them could be more respected in the gaming community than someone who still has them.
    I recently had a similar conversation on another site that was semi related to your post. Those people basically play a game of commercialism with their collection. More so then actually playing the games they get. Like you said they end with like 1,000 games and don't know anything about the majority of them. Vs someone who has played a ton of games over the course and actually knows stuff about the game but just doesn't own them.

    If you notcied lately with gaming pick up videos it tends to be some knucklehead showing you one game at a time with a brief description of each game based on what they know. They don't ever play the games though. They just make youtube videos and post pics online to bragg about. Then they try to justify their purchase to you by saying it's not your money you shouldn't care and that they plan to play the games when they retire or pass them down to their kids. To that I say
    Last edited by needler420; 03-19-2013 at 09:32 PM.

  17. #17
    Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    279
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    I can't help but smirk when people try to consider themselves tech geeks nowadays but won't use things like twitter and facebook.
    Any tech geek worth his CRT will stay the hell away from those places.

    Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    From the recent posts, I think it's fair to conclude that needler420 is some troll account. This is the only way I can justify to myself how he (she?) can say some of the ludicrous things he (she?) says.
    Cor-rect.

    Look at the name "needler". 420? Please.

  18. #18
    Banned

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    290
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Burton_BYOAC View Post
    Any tech geek worth his CRT will stay the hell away from those places.
    If you add random people then I agree. Some people will have like 1,000 random people has friends.

    On my facebook I have 8 friends. 7/8 of them I know in real life.

    I use facebook and twitter for things related to our hobby so that like TC I don't drop my jaw when I see somesones collections. Not to mention people get deals all the time through twitter and facebook.

    If you don't use facebook or twitter it's just a matter of time before you're buying cell phones with big buttons and watches with a big face. Probably that much closer till you're not driving either. But go ahead and call me a troll for saying a stereotype that is true.

    it's not like google, facebook, twitter are the biggest websites on the web.
    Last edited by needler420; 03-19-2013 at 10:03 PM.

  19. #19
    Insert Coin (Level 0) segafan1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    92
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Not using FB and Twitter is like sitting in the dark?
    I'm with you on that one wiggyx. I've never used twitter and I might get on facebook once a month. I prefer to talk to people in person (if feasible). So much gets lost in translation with social media and besides, if you live your life through a computer screen, how can you say you're in the know? Is the internet completely accurate and full of truth? I think not. You have to get out in the real world to be truly informed. Social media and the internet have it's place....like bringing me to this site where I can gain knowledge about a subject I enjoy from those who are wiser. I may never meet any of these fine folks on here, but that is an advantage of the internet. It's just crazy to see people nowadays who literally can't function without a smart phone in their hand. Hell, I still got a flip phone! To each there own. Just my two cents.

  20. #20
    drowning in medals Ed Oscuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    16,556
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    I like nice pictures of hardware...there's plenty of "hardcore collectors" whose idea of a good picture is a grainy 200 pixel square cellphone picture, and if you're lucky there's not shake in it.

    Still not understanding why this is annoying. When you guys read those cute stories in Readers Digest, do you go "oh my god, what if it's all a lie, what have I been doing with my life?" actually don't answer that one

    Also, to hell with Facebook. Twitter is a bit more useful, but I don't have anything interesting to write about for that format.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 128
    Last Post: 05-24-2019, 02:06 PM
  2. The "Advance" Collectors Guide
    By Barbarianoutkast85 in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 09:55 PM
  3. "holy grails" for nintendo collectors ?
    By Wrestlemaniac in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2006, 02:18 PM
  4. Q for You Fellow "Sealed" Collectors
    By ManciGames in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 07:58 PM
  5. The "Test Your Collectors Knowledge" Game
    By Cmosfm in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 07:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •