Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: General Humble Bundle/Weekly Sale Thread

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I only wasted $3.60 then so not much of a loss. Rarely does a new Humble Bundle come out so I'm never really paying out much.

Hopefully the games that are added to the average next week are good.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Knowing our luck, it'll be Trine, Shank, Shank 2, the original Eets, and the rest of Frozenbyte's games.

I bought this, despite my dislike of Phil Fish (and me saying that I would never buy his game, in this same forum, months ago) and I did activate Fez on my Steam account. He only got like 72 cents out of my payment so I don't feel too bad for him. The other people who made the game, though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

So, how are Fez and Brutal Legend "indie" games, again? Does "indie" just mean "made by a creator with an ego massive enough to have its own orbit" now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How I hate it when I've already bought all the games in a bundle. Of course, they were all bought on sale, and I guess it's nice to support the devs, but nonetheless, I hate it when that happens.

I think the original Eets was one of the first games I bought on Steam – and never got around to playing, of course.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    So, how are Fez and Brutal Legend "indie" games, again? Does "indie" just mean "made by a creator with an ego massive enough to have its own orbit" now?
    I don't like the term indie since it doesn't mean anything the way they're using it. Any developer that funds their own games is independent. Since the developers who work for them are a part of them, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, EA, etc, are "indie" developers.

Thatgamecompany is considered indie, yet they received money from Sony to develop games and Sony has published games for them, games like Shank and Shank 2 were funded and published by EA, among others.

It doesn't mean anything the way it's being used but it's constantly being thrown around, so I've given up and just started calling them indie developers also. Which the way people look at them are developers that aren't big names that have that have multi billion dollar companies behind them.

The other thing is how indie games are praised simply for being indie games, and many indie games in my opinion are merely okay. There hasn't been an indie game that I've played that has interested me as much as most larger budget titles. Indie games were overrated when Microsoft was pulling exclusivity for them, Sony's doing the same and it doesn't make them less overrated.

I really want to complain about Sony because it really makes me want to facepalm because Sony always acts like this about everything they start promoting. Regardless if they're the first ones to the party or not, it's like they drop everything else and promote what we don't give a shit about. Right now it's indie this, indie that, here's an indie there's an indie, everywhere there's a fucking indie. They did it with Vita when the system just came out and they forced touch controls on us on literally every single game even if it was something that could do without touch controls, or if there were perfectly good standard controls they could have used as alternate controls. Last but not least, they did it with the Move when it was first introduced, going out of the way to develop and try to shove shit like Wonderbook down everyones throats when clearly we didn't give a damn. It'd be nice if sometimes Sony would get a fucking clue.

This is the reason the Vita is failing. They had someone talking to third party developers to get games for Vita and asked the fanbase what we wanted. Instead of listening to what the fans wanted to see, hey, here's yet another fucking indie game we didn't ask for to be ported from the PS3 to Vita. No retail games to put on shelves and get some more sales. To show developers the system is actually selling so they'll be more inclined to not release just ports all day every day on it. Now they have this third party development and localization team. A company within Sony. What's the first two games they're developing to put on the Vita? Borderlands 2 and Epic Mickey 2. Two games no one gives two shits about because if we did, we'd play them on the PS3 or 360. Once again ignoring the very loud fanbase who constantly request games like Final Fantasy Type 0, the Tales games, and many other Japanese games that Americans would actually like yet haven't been localized over here. It's like they completely ignore what their fans ask them for. It took Nintendo quite awhile, but even they listened to their fans with Xenoblade atleast, and guess what. The game sold well so Nintendo is developing X for the Wii U. There's a reason shit doesn't sell well when you bring your fans something we don't even fucking ask for.

Okay. Rant over. Went from indies over to how Sony is being fucking stupid, because right now all they're thinking of is indie bullshit.

*edit*

No offense to indie devs, because while your games are decent. They're decent. That's it. They don't offer the value most full retail games do when it comes to gameplay. Some games do or look like they do. Most don't. As interested as I was in Retro City Rampage for example, I finally started to play it a while ago and the game is incredibly boring. The guy put a lot of work into it sure, but the only thing I really liked about the game was the Bit.Trip mini game in the arcade. The missions were poorly done, you could see where the dialogue tried to be funny by making references that most of us would notice, but the dialogue just sucked and was yet another mark against the game, and killing pedestrians and cops became immediately boring. It's like the dev tried too hard to introduce NES style graphics and 80s references that he forgot to add a good game.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-12-2013 at 02:04 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Hmm.

For $1+:
    Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
    Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
    Shadow Warrior Classic Redux
    Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition

For minimum:

Hard Reset Extended Edition + OST
    System Shock 2 + OST

Nice, but I think I'll sit this one out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Me too. Paid a dollar for most of the Serious Sam games, I think I got the Duke Nukem game for free on GOG, and really don't care about any of the others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I own Duke Nukem on GOG as well, but this is the "Megaton Edition". And Shadow Warrior's worth tacking onto the backlog as well.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Humble 9 just added:

Bastion
    Limbo
    A Virus Named Tom
    MOTHERCLUCKING Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken!

Rocketbirds is a short but fun action platformer shootem up. It was released on PSN a few years back and it's pretty goddamn awesome.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Rarr. Bought that one too quite some time ago. I don't have A Virus Named Tom, and haven't heard of it before either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Hmm.

For $1+:
    Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
    Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
    Shadow Warrior Classic Redux
    Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition

For minimum:

Hard Reset Extended Edition + OST
    System Shock 2 + OST

Nice, but I think I'll sit this one out.
    I've fancied Shadow Warrior for a while, and Hard Reset and Serious Sam are a nice bonus. More tempted by this than the main bundle.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't know anything about the games in this weeks weekly sale, but it's pretty much the whole damn series for a few bucks.

For $1+:
    X: Beyond the Frontier
    X-Tension
    X2: The Threat
    X3: Reunion + Bonus Package & OST
    OST for upcoming X Rebirth

For $6+:
    X3 Terran Conflict
    X3: Albion Prelude
    X: Superbox Bonus Material

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

These are hardcore space sim / management games. They have a very tough learning curve but are amongst the best ones in the genre.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

So, single player EVE Online.
    Ok, I'm on board.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Don't know much about most of this weeks games:

For $1+:
    Tropico 3: Steam Special Edition
    Sine Mora
    SkyDrift
    Anna: Extended Edition + OST

For $6+:
    Tropico 4: Steam Special Edition
    Jagged Alliance: Back in Action

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Worth a buck, I reckon.

A lot of people weren't too impressed with the new Jagged Alliance; that's why they kickstarted a project to make something more like the original.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I can vouch for many of this weeks games, good stuff:

For $1+:
    Red Faction: Armageddon
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
    The Guild 2
    Neighbors From Hell Compilation

For $6+
    Painkiller: Hell & Damnation
    ArcaniA
    Darksiders 2
    SpellForce 2: Faith in Destiny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

In for $1 for the Supreme Commander games.

Also curious if you guys know what this game is. It was released between 1997-2000 I think. Could be later though. Realtime strategy game in 3D for PC where you had mechs and stuff. I remember there was a demo of it that came with a PC magazine that had a Final Fantasy 7 demo on the same disc.

*edit*

They're not in 3D but it could have been MechCommander or Earth 2140 back then. Any other games released in this time period that were like that?
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-03-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Titans of Steel, maybe?
    http://www.titansofsteel.de/

Or just Steel Soliders?
    http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/z/z.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Neither of those. I think it might just be MechCommander and I was mistaken it was 3D.