Thread: Anyway to connect HDMI/vga to old 480i TV (Sony Wega)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyway to connect HDMI/vga to old 480i TV (Sony Wega)

Recently I just got a Sony FD Trinitron WEGA KV-32FS100 32", I heard it was good for retro games, and it looks great!

Name:  SonyWEGAAAAAAAaaaa.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  15.3 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130315_114253_1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	6447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tributeeeeee.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	6448

However I wonder, is there a way I can connect my laptop to this old 480i tv? I want to run some PC Games/Emulation/Mame or something on it that can take advantage of those beautiful scan lines. (Especially since 90% of my SNES carts died, and I have no soldering skills to replace the batteries...)

(it has one component, and one S-video, I want to get my VGA to go to it or somehow my HDMI off my laptop)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If it has a PC VGA port (31KHz scan rate) you should be able to use a VGA to component converter. HDMI might be possible but might need to be converted to PC VGA as an intermediate step, depending on what devices are out there. It wouldn't provide any benefit over VGA anyway. If your laptop is slightly older it might be possible to connect it to S-Video right away (look for a S-Video-like connector on the back, looks like the PS/2, pre-USB mouse and keyboard connector).

The next thing you'd want to do is set the output resolution low; it might take some fiddling to get it looking nice. If this is Windows 7 you might not be able to set it low enough to look really right (Powerstrip maybe?) but it's worth a shot.

Going from the progressive scan to 480 lines interlaced can be a challenge but hopefully it'll be fine for emulators. Text and other stuff in Windows might not look so crisp; there might be shimmering also.

By the way, use some q-tips and 99% isopropyl alcohol on the cartridges...and clean the SNES itself or try another, because the console's connector sounds like the culprit. Most SNES games shouldn't just stop working.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    If it has a PC VGA port (31KHz scan rate) you should be able to use a VGA to component converter. HDMI might be possible but might need to be converted to PC VGA as an intermediate step, depending on what devices are out there. It wouldn't provide any benefit over VGA anyway. If your laptop is slightly older it might be possible to connect it to S-Video right away (look for a S-Video-like connector on the back, looks like the PS/2, pre-USB mouse and keyboard connector).

The next thing you'd want to do is set the output resolution low; it might take some fiddling to get it looking nice. If this is Windows 7 you might not be able to set it low enough to look really right (Powerstrip maybe?) but it's worth a shot.

Going from the progressive scan to 480 lines interlaced can be a challenge but hopefully it'll be fine for emulators. Text and other stuff in Windows might not look so crisp; there might be shimmering also.

By the way, use some q-tips and 99% isopropyl alcohol on the cartridges...and clean the SNES itself or try another, because the console's connector sounds like the culprit. Most SNES games shouldn't just stop working.
    The laptop has a VGA and HDMI, I could try to find a older laptop, however I am just trying to find a cheap alternative, I do see vga to component wires, but they don't look like they might work right off the connection without a converter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nobody else?

I've seen some vga to component wires off amazon, but I doubt they work without some converter ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, that's what I said. VGA is RGB, component is YPbPr, which is luma, and blue and red (sort of), notice green is not directly carried. (RGB is actually a type of component video, carrying the components in separate signals, but in this case "component" means just YPbPr.) You MUST use a converter to go from VGA to component.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 03-22-2013 at 02:14 PM.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If you're willing to drop to composite, you could try something like this

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Univers.../dp/B0080KN18K

No idea if that's any good or not, just found it googling around

This one costs a little more but will give you s-video

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...H4Q6M945W9CEPA

again, no idea if it's a good product or not