Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How will a cheap bastard (me) pay full price for PS4 and Xbox Infinity games ? It's against my nature

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'm probably not getting a PS4 at launch with how many games that have been released I'm waiting to find cheap and how many games that are releasing this year that I'm going to wait until they get cheap.

I'm interested in Infamous Second Son and Watch Dogs though. While Watch Dogs is also on current gen consoles, I'll get the PS4 version. The game is an open world title that looks better than Uncharted 3, so you know that's not the version we're going to see on current consoles. Plus I'm sure there's going to be a lot of framerate issues, screen tearing, and texture pop in on current consoles so that right there is also a deterrent.

After the PS4 is released shouldn't be too long before we see somewhere offering a $50 discount or a $50 gift card along with the PS4 and somewhere else will be offering buy two get one free. I'll just get a PS4 then. Hopefully by that time the games have dropped in price as well. Games have been dropping in price within months after release, sometimes a month. There's no reason to get games you're interested in in day one anymore. Not unless you have nothing else to play.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-23-2013 at 11:59 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I'm probably not getting a PS4 at launch with how many games that have been released I'm waiting to find cheap and how many games that are releasing this year that I'm going to wait until they get cheap.

I'm interested in Infamous Second Son and Watch Dogs though. While Watch Dogs is also on current gen consoles, I'll get the PS4 version. The game is an open world title that looks better than Uncharted 3, so you know that's not the version we're going to see on current consoles. Plus I'm sure there's going to be a lot of framerate issues, screen tearing, and texture pop in on current consoles so that right there is also a deterrent.

After the PS4 is released shouldn't be too long before we see somewhere offering a $50 discount or a $50 gift card along with the PS4 and somewhere else will be offering buy two get one free. I'll just get a PS4 then. Hopefully by that time the games have dropped in price as well. Games have been dropping in price within months after release, sometimes a month. There's no reason to get games you're interested in in day one anymore. Not unless you have nothing else to play.

Lol I feel the exact same way

Only thing that could sway me on getting a ps4 on launch is if watch dogs is severely gimped on current gen consoles and the ps4 runs it at comparable max PC settings

Same deal with battlefield 4, if that comes out like PC 64 player online while it remains 24 ps3 max, im buying a ps4, fuck it
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    If you still must have a system the day it comes out, then you need to re-tool your cheap ass gamer mentality to, as cheap as possible not out of pocket. If you have between now and then some old games, hardware, accessories, books, movies, cds, collectables, or other crap sitting around that could be turned into money there's your out. You can still be cheap as all get out just ditching useless stuff and using the money from that to buy what you want, and since it's not actually out of pocket you still succeed at being a cheapass as it's not budget money.
    Great idea... I need to sell shit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otaku View Post
    More important things to spend my $ on and I keep moving like this week and new work after only a year and a half at the current place
    Agree.

In fact, when I read threads and posts like these, I wonder what economic bubble some of these people are living on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SOL BADGUY View Post
    not making it backwards compatible is a very bad decision, well actually its borderline insane.

Well, here's the thing in regards to that.

1. If the new Xbox has zero BC with the 360, then Sony will catch a HUGE break. I'm talking freaking HUGE. The way I understand it, making the new Xbox BC with 360 stuff is "almost" as hard as making it work for the PS4. In both cases, they would have to practically include a miniaturized version of the previous console, inside with the new console. It would be cheaper for MS to do it than Sony, but would be a MAJOR pain in the ass for either one of them to get working.

2. They really didn't have a choice in the matter. Blame it on Kutaragi. The crazy design of the PS3 means that having BC for that platform means having the Cell inside the PS4, and it also means having another contract with Nvidia to also have their GPU in there. They would essentially be putting a tiny PS3 inside the PS4, to make it happen, and it would easily add a full $100 to the price. When you're going head to head with MS in a brutal battle, that $100 is a huge thing.

Sony has no fucking choice. The PS4 can't brute strength emulate a PS3, and putting the cell and the Nvidia gpu in there would put the price back into the stratosphere. Believe you me.... Sony is praying daily that Microsoft is unable to provide BC as well. If Microsoft were to really, really, really want to stick it to Sony, they would just eat the cost of doing whatever they had to do to make the 360 fully BC (at least in the initial units) It would be a differentiating factor that would prove to be extremely valuable in the all out war that's getting ready to happen this November.

Sure, Sony has the whole GaiKai thing, but do you think even Sony themselves know if the GaiKai thing can really work in a real-world scenario ?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Sure, Sony has the whole GaiKai thing, but do you think even Sony themselves know if the GaiKai thing can really work in a real-world scenario ?
    The whole Gaikai thing is probably a bigger mess for Sony than having no BC at all. It requires an internet connection to buy and play games. How does that reconcile with PSN especially when Sony said the service is gonna offer the same PS1/PS2 classics too? I'm a little bit worried for the PSN Store's future at this point cause I'm fearful that Gaikai streaming will replace it on the PS4 or the Sony execs are planning on doing away the idea of downloading title by phasing it out over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never been an early adopter. I like to stay updated with the latest news but as far as purchasing new systems and games I just don't do it. In fact, I just bought my first PS3 back in December and bought my first XBox 360 yesterday. Both systems have so much to offer currently and all of the best games are dirt cheap. 99% of the time I don't even pay $20 for a game and still manage to acquire most of the best games.

Being a late adopter has always been the way for me. I don't need the latest and greatest technology and games to keep me happy. I remember I bought a Dreamcast in about early 2002 or so when they were being cleared out and you could get one for about $50. I was then able to get a personal arcade favorite Virtua Tennis for $10 new and also managed to find a sealed Shenmue for $10. Then I managed to obtain Headhunter, Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2, Capcom vs. SNK 2, etc. As you can imagine I was in gaming heaven.

Since December I've managed to build an amazing PS3 collection and have already started buying a ton of cheap games for XBox 360 since yesterday. I love being a late adopter. I still follow the latest news but I don't see myself ever paying $60 or even $50 for a game. Not even $40. There's something exciting for me being a late adopter. I am able to obtain all the games I've always wanted at a rapid pace and at cheap prices. As of right now most of the best PS3 and XBox 360 games are under $20.

I'm set with the PS3 and XBox 360 for a long time. There's plenty of games to keep me busy for the time being as well as all the Blu-ray movies that I have that I'll watch on my PS3. I'm also about to buy a A/V receiver and surround sound system so I'll be set for a long time and can live without a PS4 and new XBox. I'll definitely be reading up on the newest systems and games and also watching videos and reviews. In a way I'm still part of the gaming scene without actually owning the new and expensive machines and games. I'll probably buy them when I feel the time is right.
    Last edited by GhostDog; 03-24-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm sick of owning multiple systems, but I have to admit there's a few 1st/2nd party titles that Sony puts out I just would rather not be left out on. I can see getting this PS4, but it sure as hell won't be at launch or launch price. I wouldn't have even bothered at $350 on WiiU had it not come with the game, charging cradle, and the 4x storage as I'm comfy at $300 tops, but I'd have had to buy that junk and a usb hdd far sooner too.

PS4 when it's like $300 or less then I'll take a peek. I'm fine playing catch up as I did it on PS3 getting it for $300 at Circuit City a couple years after launch when the company folded.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got a XBOX today for $5, talk about being cheap haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I'm fine playing catch up as I did it on PS3 getting it for $300 at Circuit City a couple years after launch when the company folded.
    Thats exactly what I did with my original 360. I got it on clearance at Circuit City back in 2009 once that company was in the midst of their going-out-of-business sale.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SOL BADGUY View Post
    I got a XBOX today for $5, talk about being cheap haha.
    XBox is such a great system. The system is worth owning simply for the SEGA games and Burnout 3.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    XBox is such a great system. The system is worth owning simply for the SEGA games and Burnout 3.
    Panzer Dragoon is a big one I want, Shenmue 2 also, and the only other games I really want are Elder Scrolls, DOA series, and Im pretty sure Ill be the only person to have a Xbox without any Halo games. Mostly I want to mod it and run emulators on it.

To me Xbox is a continuation of Sega consoles, so its cool you said their games alone were worth it.
    Last edited by SOL BADGUY; 03-27-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    Maybe you should think about changing your mentality towards getting new systems on day one.
    I agree with what you're saying but I consider myself something of an early adopter as well as a cheap ass gamer, and the two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

The thing of it is that I value being an early adopter at the time of purchase (like say my Vita a year ago). You can still look for deals on new games and not pay the full price (after all, even saving $5 on a game can satisfy your cheap ass-i-ness to a certain extent). If you don't consume a *tonne* of games (like I don't, due to the fact I don't have enough time to consume a lot), you'll have some games that are a year old before you know it, selling for a fraction of what they cost at release.

So you get the both worlds.

If you're not finicky about collecting, there will be a tonne of downloadable games from XBLA/PSN available right from the get go that will be cheap too. Which may tide you over until you get past that 1 year mark.

Anyway, just my gut reaction to the original question.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    The whole Gaikai thing is probably a bigger mess for Sony than having no BC at all. It requires an internet connection to buy and play games. How does that reconcile with PSN especially when Sony said the service is gonna offer the same PS1/PS2 classics too? I'm a little bit worried for the PSN Store's future at this point cause I'm fearful that Gaikai streaming will replace it on the PS4 or the Sony execs are planning on doing away the idea of downloading title by phasing it out over time.
    If Gaikai can stream games from previous generations it should be able to stream PSN games purchase from your PS3, Vita, or PSP. Instead of doing that Sony has chosen to put you in a position to repurchase them or keep multiple Playstations hooked-up. How long before they drop PSN on the PS3...two...four years...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    If Gaikai can stream games from previous generations it should be able to stream PSN games purchase from your PS3, Vita, or PSP. Instead of doing that Sony has chosen to put you in a position to repurchase them or keep multiple Playstations hooked-up. How long before they drop PSN on the PS3...two...four years...?
    Who says they are not gonna allow that? They certainly haven't said it either way.

I wish they had BC but I understand why they don't with such a huge architector change that unless they want to put the cell as a another chip than it makes it unaffordable to do that.

I am hoping Gaikai is a way for BC especially for PSN titles, that is a major factor that they need to have BC for.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lothars View Post
    Who says they are not gonna allow that? They certainly haven't said it either way.

I wish they had BC but I understand why they don't with such a huge architector change that unless they want to put the cell as a another chip than it makes it unaffordable to do that.

I am hoping Gaikai is a way for BC especially for PSN titles, that is a major factor that they need to have BC for.

I could be mistaken, but I got the impression you would have to repurchase any games you previously owned should they become available on the PS4. Whereas for the Wii-U, again I believe, they have an upgrade fee.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

I learned from the psp launch to never buy day 1 ever again! Remember psps problems on launch day?

Burnt pixels on the screen. So i have a psp with 2 very small burnt pixels

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I got the impression you would have to repurchase any games you previously owned should they become available on the PS4. Whereas for the Wii-U, again I believe, they have an upgrade fee.

I would assume that they are going to have a PSN on PS4. It's possible, that our current PSN accounts, can simply transfer over to the PS4, and we might have the option to play all the digital PS3 games that we bought on that account, thru the GaiKai streaming, whenever that service is available. As for retail only releases, or games where we bought the disk version, I'm guessing that those games will have to be purchased again, and there won't be any type of verification process or anything.

I'd be pretty surprised if they made us rebuy all the digital games that we bought, that were already tied to our PSN accounts on PS3.

If they really wanted to be anti-consumer, I guess they could call PSN something new on the PS4, and require everybody to register a brand new account, for their new network on PS4. They could claim that the PSN account is a PS3 thing, and has nothing to do with PS4. Personally, I don't think they will go this route, but anything is possible I suppose.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I'd be pretty surprised if they made us rebuy all the digital games that we bought, that were already tied to our PSN accounts on PS3.

If they really wanted to be anti-consumer, I guess they could call PSN something new on the PS4, and require everybody to register a brand new account, for their new network on PS4. They could claim that the PSN account is a PS3 thing, and has nothing to do with PS4. Personally, I don't think they will go this route, but anything is possible I suppose.
    I cant see them doing this, making previously purchased/downloaded content unavailable through the ps4 psn would alienate many of sony's loyal customers. Not only would game purchases be lost but also trophy collections stored on servers (if they went this route). I really cant see them not allowing us to access previously sold downloads. This would be the only reason I would NOT buy a ps4. They do call it the playstation network (psn) and not the PS3 network.