Thread: PSP for PS1 / Emulation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSP for PS1 / Emulation

The price of the PSP Go has gone through the floor following the release of the Vita and I am wondering about picking one up. The actual library of PSP games doesn't really interest me. What does appeal to me is basically having a portable PS1 / Neo Geo and Snes for some very long flights I have coming up.

There seem to be various resources online about ripping your PS1 games and getting them to run on a PSP. Has anyone had any experience with this, particularly on the Go? How tough is it mucking about with the firmware? Is there anything to watch out for?

If it is a pain in the arse I could just re-buy the ones that are available from the PSN store and load them straight on couldn't I?

Snes9x looks like it would do the job for emulating the SNES, but suggestions are welcome!

EDIT: If anyone has one all set up that they want to get rid of PM me. Happily pay shipping etc.
    Last edited by Daltone; 03-22-2013 at 05:12 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go to Emuparadise board about it, theyll know more. But remember since you dont have the two nobs you cant do Ape Escape :'(

Oh, and SNES emulation on the PSP isnt great, its not good enough to run StarFox at the right frame rate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SOL BADGUY View Post
    Go to Emuparadise board about it, theyll know more. But remember since you dont have the two nobs you cant do Ape Escape :'(

Oh, and SNES emulation on the PSP isnt great, its not good enough to run StarFox at the right frame rate.
    That is a bit of a downer. I was really hoping to get through LttP again (as I keep talking about Zelda games here). I've seen some videos on youtube with it running ok. I'll check out the emuparadise boards.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    That is a bit of a downer. I was really hoping to get through LttP again (as I keep talking about Zelda games here). I've seen some videos on youtube with it running ok. I'll check out the emuparadise boards.
    Link would work better than Star Fox since its 2D. The games with extra chips in them are the ones that wont work really. PS1 games should work just fine.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by SOL BADGUY View Post

Au contraire, you can play pretty much any ps1 game regardless of controller layout using a dualshock 3 over Bluetooth

IMO thats why I think Psp go > all other psp's
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good to know.

Also, there are a lot of great PSP games. Gods Eater Burst, Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman, Persona 3, and you can also emulate arcade games on it very easily.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

For SNES you'll want to get SNES9X TYL++ by Ruka, it's Slim or Go only and is the best SNES emulator by far.

Get the latest PSX2PSP program. It's the best PSX eboot creator and lets you see what your eboot will look like with the background and pic prior to creation. Also the easiest multi disc eboot creator. One thing you want to make sure of is that even though the region codes codes(SLUS, etc) on some games are different, like Suikoden 1 and Suikoden 2 have different codes, make sure you give them both the same code. The reason for this is because each code creates its own memory cards and Suikoden 2 won't be able to find the Suikoden save data if it's a different code because it's a completely different card. When creating a multi disc game it really doesn't matter though since the multi disc game will be one card as well(I think.)

To rip PSX games you'll need a program that rips all data from the PSX disc and not just a portion. There is some data from some games that won't be ripped and music won't be played. Only from games that you can listen to the music on a CD player, that specific music won't be ripped for some reason or if it is just won't work.

The best Genesis emulator which can also play Sega CD well, aside from a very few games, No Dark Wizard unfortunately , is the newest PicoDrive.

EmuMaster or the older version, Masterboy, are the best Gamegear, Gameboy, and SMS emulators.

The newest GBA emulator you can find is probably good. They used to crash on games like Fire Emblem and Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland, but they all work fine now.

Don't remember what PC engine emulator I use, but I know that I had two, both of them were very picky on getting TG16CD to work. Not worth the hassle of getting CD games to work honestly.

MVS2PSP and CPS2PSP are two programs worth getting for Capcom arcade games and Neo Geo arcade games. Full speed on all MVS, CPS2, and another one I can't remember the name but CPS1 systems, but maybe called CPS1PSP? You'll have to look around. Make sure to get the one that has adhoc because you can play the multiplayer games with another PSP if they have the game as well. Every emulator comese with a cache.exe which you need to create cache files of every game above a certain size in order to play. Every new version you need to create a new cache file. If you have MVS2PSP 2.2 and then you upgrade to 2.3 or whatever is next, the same cache file won't work. You'll have to redo it.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-22-2013 at 11:59 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    For SNES you'll want to get SNES9X TYL++ by Ruka, it's Slim or Go only and is the best SNES emulator by far.

Get the latest PSX2PSP program. It's the best PSX eboot creator and lets you see what your eboot will look like with the background and pic prior to creation. Also the easiest multi disc eboot creator. One thing you want to make sure of is that even though the region codes codes(SLUS, etc) on some games are different, like Suikoden 1 and Suikoden 2 have different codes, make sure you give them both the same code. The reason for this is because each code creates its own memory cards and Suikoden 2 won't be able to find the Suikoden save data if it's a different code because it's a completely different card. When creating a multi disc game it really doesn't matter though since the multi disc game will be one card as well(I think.)

To rip PSX games you'll need a program that rips all data from the PSX disc and not just a portion. There is some data from some games that won't be ripped and music won't be played. Only from games that you can listen to the music on a CD player, that specific music won't be ripped for some reason or if it is just won't work.

The best Genesis emulator which can also play Sega CD well, aside from a very few games, No Dark Wizard unfortunately , is the newest PicoDrive.

EmuMaster or the older version, Masterboy, are the best Gamegear, Gameboy, and SMS emulators.

The newest GBA emulator you can find is probably good. They used to crash on games like Fire Emblem and Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland, but they all work fine now.

Don't remember what PC engine emulator I use, but I know that I had two, both of them were very picky on getting TG16CD to work. Not worth the hassle of getting CD games to work honestly.

MVS2PSP and CPS2PSP are two programs worth getting for Capcom arcade games and Neo Geo arcade games. Full speed on all MVS, CPS2, and another one I can't remember the name but CPS1 systems, but maybe called CPS1PSP? You'll have to look around. Make sure to get the one that has adhoc because you can play the multiplayer games with another PSP if they have the game as well. Every emulator comese with a cache.exe which you need to create cache files of every game above a certain size in order to play. Every new version you need to create a new cache file. If you have MVS2PSP 2.2 and then you upgrade to 2.3 or whatever is next, the same cache file won't work. You'll have to redo it.
    Thanks!! More info than I could ever have hoped for!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post

See that's why my SNES emulation is so bad even for 2D games like Donkey Kong Country. All I have is a PSP 1000 so it can't use this new and improved version of the SNES emulator. I can't stand dropped frames. I don't even know if a PSP 1000 could handle those arcade emulators if the games have better graphics than SNES games.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    See that's why my SNES emulation is so bad even for 2D games like Donkey Kong Country. All I have is a PSP 1000 so it can't use this new and improved version of the SNES emulator. I can't stand dropped frames. I don't even know if a PSP 1000 could handle those arcade emulators if the games have better graphics than SNES games.
    Oddly enough, there are versions of CPS2PSP and MVS2PSP that work full speed on fat PSPs. The MVS2PSP still one that you can get will have adhoc so you can still play it against other people, though there's no adhoc available on the fat CPS2PSP. CPS2PSP adhoc is only available on the Slim or Go. For CPS1 and CPS2 download 2.0.6. For MVS download 2.2.1a.

It was a short while ago where they had an exploit where the Vita could play PSP CFW, PSP games, homebrew, etc. However the Vita only emulates the 32MB of the fat and not the 64MB of the slim which is a problem for SNES gaming. It works, but there are noticeable frame issues. The slim could never get full speed on all games either, but most games ran full speed atleast. However, looking around and getting the best stuff available, I've found out that oddly enough the fat can run everything else just as good as the slim can. With the latest PicoDrive, both fat and slim compatible, Sega CD doesn't run full speed at all times, but does run full speed most of the time and all Genesis games run full speed(Snatcher only dropped in framerate to around 30-40fps during the parts where you were shooting Snatchers.) GBA runs almost everything full speed but there is Golden Sun 1 and 2 that has framerate drops in battle and on the world map, but will also crash when getting a water Djinni. Possibly framedrops on other 3D games as well, but just about everything on the GBA runs full speed.

So the fat can play just about everything the slim can full speed with a worse SNES emulator is all.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.