Thread: Could someone with arcade knowledge tell me if this is a decent price?

Insert Coin (Level 0) segafan1989's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Could someone with arcade knowledge tell me if this is a decent price?

I don't know what to look for when it comes to arcades. Seller says it's been refurbished, but I don't know how to tell other than looking at it. $800 seems pricey.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/vgm/3700334629.html

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by segafan1989 View Post
    I don't know what to look for when it comes to arcades. Seller says it's been refurbished, but I don't know how to tell other than looking at it. $800 seems pricey.

This is how I feel.

when I want something I spend on it.
    Shopping around for best price..and to get an idea on price.

Something this big has to be local pick up for me ..I don't want something like this shipped..
    If I can go see the machine,item in person...That is a Major Plus..

I recently bought a used dirtbike,it was local pick up..others were $200.00 in travel cost ..I saved on buying ocal and being able to see in person what I was buying.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TMNT-Teenage...item1c30a066b2

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by segafan1989 View Post

A couple of red flags here. The description says it's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in Time, but the cabinet is for the first game. It also appears that this is not an original dedicated four player cabinet as the coin door is wrong (the dedicated had four separate coin slots). It's most likely a conversion job of another cabinet. Based on these facts alone, $800 seems high.

You could always go check it out, but "refurbished" means different things to different sellers. I've seen cabinets that were just sprayed with wood and plastic cleaner and a little badly matched spray paint described as refurbished. It could also just mean that they did the minimum to get the game working. Generally, sellers use "fully restored" if they have done major cosmetic or electronic work to bring the game up to collector quality.

Insert Coin (Level 0) segafan1989's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    A couple of red flags here. The description says it's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in Time, but the cabinet is for the first game. It also appears that this is not an original dedicated four player cabinet as the coin door is wrong (the dedicated had four separate coin slots). It's most likely a conversion job of another cabinet. Based on these facts alone, $800 seems high.

You could always go check it out, but "refurbished" means different things to different sellers. I've seen cabinets that were just sprayed with wood and plastic cleaner and a little badly matched spray paint described as refurbished. It could also just mean that they did the minimum to get the game working. Generally, sellers use "fully restored" if they have done major cosmetic or electronic work to bring the game up to collector quality.
    Good eye. I knew the cabinet graphics weren't the same ones as the 1989 original, but I've never seen the Turtles in Time cabinet so I thought that one was it. I just looked at a few sites online and it looks nothing like either one. The seller hasn't responded so I'll probably just pass on it. I appreciate the responses because I never would've looked for the things that you folks pointed out. The search continues......